Lodestone Island (snowflake challenge)

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Lodestone Island (snowflake challenge)

Postby Adrian » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:58 am

G'day folks
Have been a bit quiet recently but have now started in ernest on my layout:-
First the basic story------

Lodestone Island

This secret volcanic island is hiding somewhere in the oceans of the southern hemisphere of earth.

It is the secret headquarters of the seafaring hero of the seven seas who calls himself ‘Nero’.

The island is unusual in being composed mainly of lodestone. It is of such high quality that Nero mines it and then refines it even more and then manufactures high class compass needles. Because of thier fine quality they have captured the market and Nero has made his fortune.

This lodestone on the island affects all nearby magnetic compasses in such a way as to make any ship navigate around the island without them realising they had done so, making it almost impossible to find the island. A perfect secret headquarters.

Nero has a small secret submarine called “Naughty Lass” which is powered from radiated moon energy and so can remain at sea for just under a lunar month, just having to come to shore during the new moon for restocking with peanut butter (Nero’s favourite breakfast food) and explosive munitions used to sink ‘bad’ ships doing nasty ‘things’ out on the briny.

Nero, when not actually mining his lodestone, plies the seven seas looking for maritime injustices and trying to right any wrongs that he observes.

The island is home to a colony of penguins.

The island is so far south that it always has some snow on it, even at the height of its short summer. Nero Hero wishes it was a little warmer but values its secrecy.

The volcano is sort of dormant but occasionally it lets forth a little lava and smoke but never too much. Although it does make the island smell a little like bad eggs if the wind is in the wrong direction.

Nero has a small railway, 15 inch gauge, that runs around the habitable parts of the island and consists of an eclectic range of equipment, most of it heavily modified in the on-island workshops. This is used to transport ‘things’ from the mine to the wharf and to the workshops. Nero also uses it to go for joy rides when he feels like it. After all “all work and no play makes Jack (Nero) a dull boy”.

The workshops near the dock area are used to manufacture all his ‘secret’ things that Nero cannot purchase on eBay.

Nero supplements his, not insubstantial, income from the mine with trips to the local oyster bed where he harvests the oysters for both their pearls and their meat.

Well that's the story so far !
Might change later but who knows ?

I have also started to build the actual railway -----
The box looks like this____

It used to hold a pizza together with 'dipping strips' on a special offer.

While the track base looks like this _____

Based on a foam core baseboard with a cardboard track base.
(The glue I used to hold the sleepers dissolved the foam core !)
The track is code 83 soldered to PCB sleepers.
The curves are 150mm diameter, centre to centre.
There are continuous check rails on the visible track.

I didn't want to post details until I had built the track and tested it --- just in case it didn't work :oops:
In fact when I first tested it using one of my favorite chassis (34mm w/b Black Beetle) the project very nearly ground to a premature halt :!:
The chassis had no problems on the straight but those curves _____
I then found that a Bachmann Gandy Dancer would negotiate the curves without derailing.
So I will be using the Bachmann unit as the power source for the loco.

The buildings will probably be in the 'Art Deco' style and built of foam core (which I have just run out of ! ---- damn !)
Progress is a little slow at the moment but I do have an exhibition coming up at the end of August and I would like to have it working, if not completely finished, by then.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:20 am

Full credit for finding a pizza box that wasn't a circle. I haven't seen one that shape before.

Now with such a detailed back story and several tips about what is coming, (volcano etc), the next few months should keep us fully amazed as you put it together. But the part I'm really looking forward to the smell generator - from this piece in your story
Although it does make the island smell a little like bad eggs if the wind is in the wrong direction.
Lets hope you get the polarity correct when you wire up the fan, or you could be in for an unpleasant weekend at the exhibition :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:42 am

G'day Glen
Thanks for the encouragement but I will have to disappoint you on the 'bad eggs' smell.
I am not sure of the actual ingredients (hydrochloric acid and iron sulphide I believe ?) but I do know that it IS toxic and can cause DEATH in suitable concentrations.
Not something that is covered by an exhibition insurance and I am sure that H & S would have something negative to say about it.
Even the volcano smoke would probably not be tolerated by others at an exhibition. (Have had practical experience alongside a HO scale iron works at a four day exhibition.)
Might make it work and just switch it off at exhibitions.

Full credit for finding a pizza box that wasn't a circle. I haven't seen one that shape before.

Think you mean 'square' not 'circle' ?
I was hoping to get one of the 'yard' rectangular boxes ----- 3 foot long by 1 foot wide. But that was a special that finished before I could order one !
Now that would give plenty of scope to build a really good layout !

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:10 am

some of the smoke units used by local DCC group are pretty unpleasant. Probably capture the atmosphere of steam sheds but possible not a good idea for long term exposure. Exhibion managers don't seem to be bothered about live steam, which is not to everyone's taste so as long as it does not set off smoke alarms can't see any problem, unless you are the exhibit next door. :roll:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 am

Yes I did mean square, not circle.

And erupting volcanos at exhibitions are do-able (at least in this country).
I had a volcano that erupted every 30 seconds one year (small drop of oil on a hot plate to create a small amount of smoke).
And another year another group had a large volcano that had a major eruption every 30mins (with a clock out front to show what time the next eruption would be). They used theatre smoke (and a large sound system for the rumbling sounds).

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:49 am

G'day Guys
Glen _____ Hadn't thought of sound. Maybe a box the size of the layout as a speaker baffle ?
I do have a large bottle of theatre fog juice ____ don't think it smells too bad.
Will have to experiment :!: :evil: :evil:

Thought _____
Many years ago I made a smoke generator for the local film club.
It used glycerin blown through a hot steel tube.
Worked REALLY well.
But it did use asbestos as a heat and electrical insulator :shock: :shock:

The main problem that I can see is the lava ?
Know its possible but don't really want anything messy ____
I am known for my quick exits from the hall at the end of shows and don't need to be held up cleaning the floor :!: :!: :shock: :shock:

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:12 am

G'day Again

Yesterday I received a small parcel from the 'old' country.
A dozen small penguins.
http://www.penguincorner.co.uk/shop/pro ... uins?cid=2
Had to spend a lot of time on the 'net to find them but it was worth it.
Really nice little models. :D

And today I received a package of foam core to replenish my supply ----- so no excuse there.
Will have to start modelling again as soon as I sign off

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:38 am

Wow, a whole shop full of penguins - not an everyday find I suspect.

I'm loving the concept of this line. There's clearly going to be much fun to be had in creating it.

cheers,

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:59 am

G'day all
Not much in the way of progress I am afraid, 'things' seem to keep getting in the way :shock:

But I have made a start on the factory building.
Looking like I visualized it but still a lot of features to add.
Basically just a mixture of foam core and a Pringles box at the moment :!:

Still a long way and a lot of details to go -----
doors and windows -----
lights -----
office interior ----
clock ------
and I still have to start on the train itself :!:
Adrian Hoad

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:02 pm

Is the factory supposed to be 1930's "art deco"?
Some of those curves and speed lines are the same as art deco shapes.
And I'm sure you have a plan for that balcony at the right hand side :wink: .

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:54 am

G'day Glen

Yeap, you are right.

Last time I visited NZ I called in at Napier.
Picked up a number of ideas, lots of photo's and a couple of books on the architecture there.
Really love that style :D
Maybe that's why I enjoy the Poirot TV series so much.
( For those not in the know, Napier is full of art deco buildings and they make a big thing of it )

I think that my models are a 'bit over the top', but I like them.

The balcony will, I hope, become the home of a brass telescope on a tripod (eventually).
While I hope to furnish the adjacent room in the 30's style.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Postby southpier » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:18 pm

Nero the hero!

good one; following along here

Eee Gee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Eee Gee » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:05 am

Really excellent work, Adrian!

I love the massing of the architecture and the deco details. Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.

Eee Gee

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:02 am

G'day All

Just a quick update ......

The building was undercoated with an exterior textured paint to give the rough cast effect that I wanted.
The doors were made of card and thin clear plastic sheet and glued in place.
The stained glass windows were drawn in Paint, printed the correct size and then laminated.
( This gives, at least to my eyes, the effect of glass.
All nice and shiny ! )
The floor of the room was also drawn in Paint and printed on adhesive backed label paper before being stuck in place.
This was the technique I was planning to use on the walls of the room.
Unfortunately my printer has chosen this particular time to throw in the towel and cease working.
(Arhhhhhh --- computers ------ can't live with them ----- can't live without them.

The clock was fixed on the left (west) tower but was vulnerable and kept getting knocked off and so will be left in a safe place till much later.

So just another coat of paint, one more door (motorized) and a few other 'things' and the building is finished :shock: :shock: :shock:
Then to build the 'critter' and the trailer.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:31 am

Love the doors - now let's talk of lurid green art deco buildings. Am I glad you said undercoated!!!!!!!!!!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:52 am

I can't work of if the building is beautifully hideous or hideously beautiful, either way it captures art-deco wonderfully 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:46 am

G'day Ian

Sorry to upset you but the undercoat is actually a yellowish colour.
The lurid green is my choice for the final colour :!: :!: :!:

( It doesn't look so bad in the flesh :D :D )

Jon --- I like to think of it as beautifully hideous or at least that was the effect that I was looking for.
Thanks for the positive feedback --- I really wanted to capture the Art-Deco style.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Eee Gee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Eee Gee » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:19 am

Looking great, Adrian!

I feel we are in good (albeit maniacal) hands on this project and looking forward to where you take us next. :D

Also, can't wait to see the sort of rolling stock and power you decide to go with. A lot of beautiful deco equipment out there to be modeled, if you decide to go that route.

Keep her coming,
EeeGee

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:54 am

Ian Hodgkiss

The Steamy Pudding (in progress)

West of Worcester (in progress)

Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)

Brisbane, Australia

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:31 am

G’day folks,
I suddenly realised that I needed something to run on the layout.

Thought of using some of my existing rolling stock but it didn’t look quite right and it certainly wouldn’t navigate the layouts curves (corners).

However a Bachmann Gandy dancer that I had in my “to be used for something else” box did have the capability of getting around the curves without derailing so I had my starting point.
A look through Google at ‘streamlined’ locos pointed me in the right direction and a few blocks of balsa gave me a loco that I think doesn’t look too out of place.

The driver is a resin character I bought on a second hand stall many years ago. He had some ‘bubbles’ which needed some surgery but some filler soon made him whole again.

The loco really needs some lights and trimmings but I am afraid that those will have to wait till much later. Time really is getting away from me.

Now I just have to build a suitable wagon. :!:
Adrian Hoad

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:36 pm

I love the lurid green building! And the loco is wonderful as well. It all reminds me of something out of a 30's sci-fi film. Great stuff!
Chris

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:38 am

G’day folks

Sometimes, I win one :!:

A frantic search, in a much too overcrowded shed, through umpteen unlabeled cardboard boxes and mountains of ancient cobwebs, I finally found what I knew I had stashed away, somewhere …. A box of winter ground cover by Faller so old the icicles are beginning to melt.

And I also found a resin kit, that I knew that I had hidden away somewhere, of the very first operational submarine, the Turtle, by Lee in USA.
Luckily, because of the way it is displayed I didn't have to build it all, just the top half.
The legs came from the lower half of the loco driver.
Well, he couldn't use them ---- no room in the loco ---- and I do so dislike waste.

I have also progressed a’ways with the layout itself.
The stone sea walls have been added and painted. (Ozark Miniatures Coursed Stone), the dock surface (scribed balsa)and the sea added (clear silicon sealer).
A couple of ice flows made of foam polystyrene have been added and the penguins suitably stationed around the layout.

The bridge has also got its girders added, courtesy of an Airfix bridge kit that I had saved for just such an occasion and the clock mechanism and hands on the tower have also been added.

Some of the plastic icicles from the Faller kit were also added in strategic positions.

Now it just needs a layer of snow and all is ready for the photo shoot (and only just in time.)
Adrian Hoad

Return to “Modelling Matters”