Pimp My Wood Bros

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Pimp My Wood Bros

Postby Bilco » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Now that the buzz from exhibiting at Pewsey has died down I thought I'd show some of the little changes that have occurred to the layout. When I received the invitation to take Wood Bros to MOMING'13 in February I thought I had lots of time to get it primped and polished, so I fiddled about with other things - Watts' Mine mainly. Suddenly, August loomed and I realized that I had better get moving - to the following effect..

One big job that had been bugging me for some time was to sort out the black hole under the building on the left of the layout. In an effort to get a quick fix I found a photo of a set of garage doors on one of the on-line texture sites, resized it, and stuck it in the hole. The green colour was a bit of serendipity, and I finished the job by putting some pallets and other bits and pieces in front of the doors. There is also some extra clutter under the tipping dock. Probably no-one looked that way, but I know it looks a teensy bit better than it did.

Still on the left side of the layout, I thought that the hillside looked a bit bare, so I rustled up some rubbish to look as if stuff had been dumped there over time. The van door was my first attempt at getting that peeling paint over rust look. I've had the chemical drums for some time, so I thought I'd better use them for something - something toxic has leaked down the wall and killed off the vegetation.

On the right side of the layout I put some clutter around the fire door into Baigent's building - a pallet with a rusty load, and some oil drums partly covered by a tarpaulin courtesy of Mack's Mouldings. I plonked Alf Measures there to give him something useful to do.

A look along the tipping dock at Ernieplex, with Woody looking cool as usual.

At Bouverie Hall I set up on a 6' table behind Steve and beside Simon. I had made a board with photos and descriptions of the locos and their drivers to act as a view block for the external track, and to the left of that I showed off the mining locos and man-rider for Watt's in a display case. It all looks a little bit as if I had meant it to look like that.

Bill
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:56 pm

That layout is looking cracking Bill, well done!

Trevor
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 pm

It certainly looked fantastic Bill! I hope the boy wasnt too much of a pain with wishing to clear away stray bits of sand...
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Wood Bros was one of my highlights of the show. Can't wait to see how Watt's develops (MOMING 15?).

Simon.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi Bill,

Great to see your photos (and some or your layout on Mick's website).
What are you using for the loads in your wagons that get tipped out?

Thanks,
Glen.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:14 am

Very nice photos of one of my favourite layouts. Thanks for sharing.
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Also postmaster for The Gower Islands Postal Service.

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Bilco » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:51 pm

Many thanks for the very kind comments chaps. Wood Bros debut show was a lot of fun, and a great opportunity to put faces to names on the Gnatterbox.

Simon - young Master Demaine was no trouble. Children seem to be fascinated by the tipping, and the desire to clear up the spillage seems to be overwhelming - my grandson does exactly the same thing! The tipping rail took a lot of fine-tuning to work reliably on the day, and there was a lot of spillage until I got it right. The tippers behave differently with a load in - something to do with the centre of gravity I expect. It did mean that I couldn't run Welsh Ernie at the same time as the tippers, as it fouled the rail unless I removed the rail completely, so I had to decide which I was going to display next.

Glen - the material being tipped is aquarium sand - according to the label on the bag it's silica sand, but I looked for something fairly coarse and rounded, in the hope that it would run down the chute easily. In the event it tended to stick a bit - Richard said that he had the same problem on Hook Basin, and we agreed that it was probably the angle of the chute. One of the things I did when I got home was to make the chute steeper, but I haven't tried it out yet - I'll wait until grandson is in attendance!

Having agreed to bring Watts' in 2015 I shall have to get back to work on that now, and I'm also about to start building a little 00 layout with grandson - it's a good job I'm retired.
Bill

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:31 pm

I was very impressed with the tipping chute Bill and I thought the method you have designed to tip the sand into the truck was very clever indeed. From the public side of the layout it looks exactly as if the sand is actually loading into the truck and it doesn't notice at all that it is actually going THROUGH it.

Outstanding! And from a retired brownjob to a bluejob that is a rare compliment!

Mick

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Bilco » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:49 pm

You're very kind Mick - and from a bluejob to a brownjob ....!
Bill

Return to “Modelling Matters”