Matthews Corner, a Chris Krupa classic.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:13 am

johna wrote:I remember seeing the layout in Railway Modeller and think I did start to build a similar one. In fact , the baseboard is still around somewhere so all this chat has made me want to start building it again. I must contact Peco to find out if it is still possible to buy the August 2007 of RM.
John

One for sale on eBay John.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Si wrote:Thanks, everyone, for the info regarding operation of relatively simple layouts. You've convinced me....you see I've an old base board under the bed that is virtually that size and shape, event the stepped back scene is the same, plus I have enough off cuts of track to build something very similar....although I might throw and extra turnout in.

Hi Si,
Using another layout built by Richard Andrews you'll find his take on the use of 2 points:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=1467

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

Postby Si » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:
Si wrote:Thanks, everyone, for the info regarding operation of relatively simple layouts. You've convinced me....you see I've an old base board under the bed that is virtually that size and shape, event the stepped back scene is the same, plus I have enough off cuts of track to build something very similar....although I might throw and extra turnout in.

Hi Si,
Using another layout built by Richard Andrews you'll find his take on the use of 2 points:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=1467

thanks Gerry, that one's lovely too. However the track plan might be a little too similar to http://www.minimumgauge.info/viewtopic.php?t=9010 :D

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:40 am

I don't know whether to hide my head in embarrassment or do a footballer and run around the exhibition hall with my T shirt over my head in celebration.

Thanks everybody for your comments and to Gerry for putting Matthews Corner on the site. If anyone wants to see MC in the flesh, it will be at York next Easter together with a GN15 layout (his first) from my friend Des Trollip of Zebedeila Estate fame. I have no other invitations.

Now to answer a couple of the questions: I always have in my mind that my layouts are not there to entertain children or those that simply want to see trains run (preferably round and round at high speed). Most shows have plenty of those kinds of exhibits and I am not in competition with them. Yes Matthews Corner works and it is reasonably interesting to operate. However, I do like to engage the public and talk about the layout, the meaning of narrow/minimum gauge etc. I hope that I have interesting methods and ideas to talk about. I am sure that anyone not interested in talking to me will soon leave. It isn't therefore necessary for my layouts to be capable of rapt attention from the operator.

Someone asked about the greenhouse. It is scratch built from plastic of various varieties. The lower walls are 60thou overlaid with brick effect plastic from Maple Street Miniatures. The door is also plastic. The 'glass' is 40 thou clear PVC bought from some model shop or other. It is easily available. Its main virtue is that it isn't affected by any of the solvents commonly used in model making so you don't get smears accidental or otherwise. The drawback is that you can't glue it. I haven't even had success with super glue but maybe I haven't hit the right make. When I use clear PVC therefore I ensure that it is trapped in position during construction. In the MC greenhouse the glazing bars aren't glued to the 'glass'. The construction is so designed that it clips over the 'glass' although it was assembled in situ. In a way you could say that the polystyrene parts of the model are an integral piece which holds the glazing in position. I hope that is clear. The interior plants in the building are Woodland Scenics of various kinds particularly arranged so that you don't notice that the greenhouse is only an inch or so deep.

Thanks again to everybody for their comments.

By the way. I still don't have internet at home. It's a long story and one which is unlikely to be resolved anytime soon. I can though, get very occasional views, perhaps once a week. I can keep an eye on Gnatterbox (although I should be doing something else) so I can't keep up a regular correspondence. If you can get to York do drop by and I'll expand on anything I've said here if anyone wants more information.

Chris

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:08 am

chris krupa wrote:I don't know whether to hide my head in embarrassment or do a footballer and run around the exhibition hall with my T shirt over my head in celebration.

Celebration - definitely!

It's good to have you back on board Chris, even if your internet opportunities are limited.

cheers,

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:24 am

Great to have your reply Chris and Glad to have been proved wrong! :D

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway,

Postby richard andrews » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:25 am

Hi Si,

I built Bramble Farm back in 2006, so any layout built since is just coincidence with the track plan.
I sold the layout to Gerry, who turned it into Gneiss Farm. 8) 8) 8) .
And a very good job he's done too :D :D

If you look up Greenhouse siding, you will see a similar concept to Matthews corner, but with a extra track :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Regards Richard

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:07 am

richard andrews wrote:Hi Si,

I built Bramble Farm back in 2006, so any layout built since is just coincidence with the track plan.
I sold the layout to Gerry, who turned it into Gneiss Farm. 8) 8) 8) .
And a very good job he's done too :D :D

If you look up Greenhouse siding, you will see a similar concept to Matthews corner, but with a extra track :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Regards Richard

Thanks Richard, however you did the majority. :wink:
Corrected the name.
For Si's benefit you'll find Greenhouse Siding here:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=8359

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

Postby Si » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:44 am

richard andrews wrote:Hi Si,

Hi Richard - I hope that you didn't think that I was inferring that you'd copied - not my intention at all.

Rather I was saying that I already had a layout that had a very similar plan (the one I linked to) and so I fancied doing something a little different for the next one. Mine, of course, was a copy of someone else's plan :wink:

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

Matthews Corner

Postby Catweasel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:12 pm

This layout is most definitely a classic. It's also given me an idea. I Gnow work mostly in 16 mm scale and, as usual, track is the problem. Code 200 Forth Bridge off cuts don't cut it for me, so I'm going to try Chris's idea with Code 124 track. Here goes. By the way, been reading the Railway Muddler Aug. 2007 article and it's still a good read. Thanks Chris.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

Uncle Tel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 0.16.5 & GN15

Matthews Corner

Postby Uncle Tel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Just caught up with this topic and have to say that Matthews Corner and all the layouts built by Richard Andrews inspired me to have a go at Gn15

I kept on buying odd bits and bobs of Gn15 from Steve Bennett at Sidelines and eventually with a lot of badgering from both Steve & Richard I built my first Gn15 layout Ecclestone Manor which has made many exhibitions which include Shepton Mallet Pewsey and Derby

I am exhibiting the layout at Warley this year which I am looking forward to

A new layout is in the planning stage which will be called Chebstone

My modelling standards are are not as good as Chris or Richard

If you are at Warley I look forward to meeting fellow Gnutters

johna
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15 and model trams

Postby johna » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:35 am

Gerry Bullock wrote:
johna wrote:I remember seeing the layout in Railway Modeller and think I did start to build a similar one. In fact , the baseboard is still around somewhere so all this chat has made me want to start building it again. I must contact Peco to find out if it is still possible to buy the August 2007 of RM.
John

One for sale on eBay John.

Gerry, time I got around to looking for it the time was up. I am still waiting for Peco to get back to me about buying a copy from them. I did find another web site selling selling one but they wanted £7.00 postage.

John

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

Matthews Corner

Postby Catweasel » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:37 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAILWAY-MODEL ... 4853bc7df6

On fleabay, or PM me your address and I'll photocopy article and send it to you.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Re: Matthews Corner, a Chris Krupa classic.

Postby PeterH » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:09 am

Edited: I had posted 4 of Mick’s photos here. I’ve now removed them. There are these and more below.
Last edited by PeterH on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Stockers of this forum has contacted me and informed me that the 2 sets of photos of Matthews Corner that I published on here on 01 September 2013, with a total of 15 images of Matthews Corner taken at NG South West Feb 2007 and Pewsey September 2007 have now been blocked by the Photobucket farago and asked me if I would be able to re-post them. PM sent to you Stockers on this one!

I'm now pleased to be able to report that I have located the original images in my archives and I will re-post all 15 of the originals here once more, in response to Chris's request. I've put them on here in no specific order and as a mix of both the original 2013 sets.

Mick

The guy talking to Chris in the first photo (Pewsey) is well known Colonial 009 modeller Ian Turner. NG Modelling enthusiasts will also no doubt recognise many of the other people who can be seen in this image.

Last edited by MickT on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:00 pm

Gosh, I think MOMING '07 was the first one I went to - I remember seeing Chris there and chatting about his layout, which I'd seen on the Gnatterbox. I also had a long chat with Gerry Bullock over his Salinas layout, trying to find out what this Gn15 business was all about ...
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Time to practice your French

http://www.fdelaitre.org/Expom05-2.htm

Cheers,

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby PeterH » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi Mick,

Thanks for posting all those photos.

Yes, I acknowledge that I reposted your photos in violation of your copyright, and I apologise. I have removed the photos.

I have reposted photos in other threads when it was clear who had posted the original photos, and I gave credit to that person; in my mind I was quoting the photos and I thought that didn’t violate any copyright. In this case it was different.

Regards
Peter

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:30 am

Thank you Peter, I have also removed the paragraph in my posting regarding copyright to balance things up. I did not suspect "wrong doing" here, just thought it necessary to make a general posting reminder about image ownership on here as sometimes others take advantage. I hope that peace and harmony can continue undamaged and as the younger ones have a habit of saying nowadays "no worries"

Just to clarify - I don't have any problems with anyone posting a photo I have published online or a link to it, when it is done on forums such as this one for the mutual benefit of the members, but appreciate if original acknowledgement of the image's provenance (ie whose photo it is!) is given - this then provides some assurance of the original source should someone else come along and decide to "copy the copy" for further use elsewhere either to pass it off as their own image (this has been done before and someone even had the nerve to claim that I was hijacking their own photo!!) or for the original accreditation to be lost.

Best regards

Mick

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby PeterH » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:32 pm

Yes, no worries, and on with the modelling.
Peter

Return to “Modelling Matters”