Dumpster Diving

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Dumpster Diving

Postby Bilco » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Or perhaps a better title would be "Mucking about with skips". Some while ago I bought a resin skip from Mac's Mouldings, and it's been sat in the back of a drawer. At MOMING I got talking to t'other Bill about weathering, and he described using salt crystals to get the peeling paint look, so I thought I'd give it a go on the skip.

First off I sprayed it with red oxide undercoat, then slapped on a thin coat of 'rust colour'. Then I got the pack of 'Rock Salt for the Table' and tried to get the crystals to stick with water. I put some water on first, but sprinking then dabbing the crystals with a water-filled brush seemed to work better. Then I sprayed with yellow.

That last statement sounds innocuous enough, but things didn't go quite as planned. First mistake - the placing of the salt - it was random scatters with no real thought as to where the rust would occur. Next mistake - not waiting for the water to dry - spray acrylic on water does some odd things :shock: Finally, the spray head on the can must have had some dried paint in it because it started to splutter and the paint came out in globs and splashes. After the usual running about and shouting, I decided to let it dry and see what happened.

I started to brush off the crystals with my fingers, but moved on to use a wire brush in the hope that I could scratch up the surface. In the end all it did was remove the peeling edges of the spots where the crystals had been, and I was left with a yellow-ish skip with random blobs of brown. Rather than bin the skip I went back to my older techniques - using water-soluble colour pencils to make rust marks, and scratching and rubbing paint off edges - the artists acrylic dries more slowly than car undercoat, and I could get it to flake off.

The final results:

The last shot shows some 'interesting' effects where the paint and water have reacted - not easy to control though.

So, I like to think that the final result looks like a battered old skip that has been badly repainted so that the rust patches are coming back through the paint - but it could just look look like a screw-up :oops:
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Looks Ok to me Bill. Its easy to over-scrutinise an item when you view it in isolation and it doesn't look quite how you had imagined. But once it goes on the layout and there are other things around it, it becomes just one small part of a much bigger scene and any imperfections don't get noticed.

Glen.

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Looks good to me.

The Military modellers who use the 'Salt Technique' (reminds me of a dirty joke about Audi's but that's another story) tend to spray a coat or two of varnish on top of the Rust colour, not free spirited or adventurous like you Bill :lol: . When they put the salt on they let it dry overnight and then overspray with the top colour. I think from memory :? they wash off the salt. Not much good on a card model :shock: .

Simon
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

Mozzer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railway all scales

Postby Mozzer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:42 pm

suffering from M.E/CFS since 2007

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:14 pm

Not a skip, but certainly rusty, here's a battery electric loco ( :oops: does anyone know what,I didn't make a note) photographed at the Moseley Trust Gala a year ago this weekend = HINT - it's on again this coming weekend, do go!

cheers,

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:36 pm

That's an interesting loco Chris - and a nice rust spot or two. It's deteriorated a bit since this photo http://mrtfleet.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/7x.jpg
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Bill,

Aha! That's helped me identify what it is, see here:

http://mrtfleet.wordpress.com/battery-l ... o366v1993/

cheers,

Fenway
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow gauge and light railways

Postby Fenway » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:33 pm

There's a pic of a shiny new one here.

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:57 am

I think building something like this will give me somewhere to put all of those scrap bits I keep 'putting aside' :)
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

Les
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway and warship modelling, gardening DIY, history

Postby Les » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:58 pm

Nice effect Bill. Re the salt technique, sorry to sound indelicate but I use saliva instead of water to stick the salt crystals :oops: . It doesn't seem to affect the acrylic too badly. I also use some smaller grains of table salt in addition to the crystals to vary the rust effect.
Les

Return to “Modelling Matters”