Making figures from scratch

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gnu Bee
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: GN15 models, Rowland Emett, Fantastical Machines,

Postby Gnu Bee » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:42 pm

I have been reading the 'sources of figures' thread and I am wondering if anyone has tried making their own figures for 1;24 scale - I am thinking that this would be a good way of having some tall thin Emett style people that could go in the background to complement the Smallbrook Studio ones I already have. (Perhaps with slightly less animated arms!)
I haven't actually had a go yet, but it seems that perhaps balsa carved bodies with Fimp or air dried clay heads and limbs would be a good start - or perhaps a wire armature with moulded clay stuck on which I have experimented with for animation.
Any ideas? Any examples?
My name is Geoff - a dabbler in all things narrow gauge and unlikely.

Gnu Bee
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Gnu Bee » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Sorry I meant Fimo not Fimp. :oops:

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

howard jones
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Big scale model railways - limited space

Figures

Postby howard jones » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:55 am

Hi Geoff
I managed to model some figures a few years ago when I was more into 16mm and 7/8ths modelling and followed Rob Bennetts method at the time, of a wire framework ( soldered at necessary places ), and covered in Fimo.
Since then Rob developed '' Busy Bodies '' quite successfully and moved onto a similar product to Fimo but more suitable for what he was doing and that material is called ''Sculpey''. Both of these 'plasticine' type clays need to be low baked in the oven but produce a good solid model when completed.
Howard the Brush

Gnu Bee
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

making figures from scratch

Postby Gnu Bee » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks for the links Barry - especially Figuring It Out (which is the last one) - which is very good on using Sculpey in thin layers to make clothes. I think I will be adding a carton of Sculpey to my next order from 4D Modelshop.

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Figures

Postby Bilco » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:18 am

Hi Geoff,

I've had a play with all sorts of figures, with some odd results. Here's one using a fantasy articulated footballer:

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=8350

And one where I used Sculpey on a wire armature:

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=8516

Most often I have modified Schleich figures, but they are around 1:20 scale as they come, so a bit big for 1:24.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Ian Roberts
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways

Postby Ian Roberts » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:40 am

Some of you may remember that the figures on my Balnakiel layout are scratch built from Fimo modelling clay. I didn't find it necessary to use wire framing as I made all the body parts separately. The main innovation was to use Fimo to make moulds from these parts, using plenty of talcum powder in the process. At first it's rather time consuming;
1. Make the part and bake it
2. Press the part halfway into a lump of Fimo, using plenty of talc, and then bake that.
3. Place the part into the baked mould and then, after coating with talc, press more Fimo over that to create the other half of the mould. Bake this half.

This gives you the finished moulds. You then have the means to quickly and easily create as many parts as you like, although boredom may set in beyond a dozen at one time!
4. Using talc again on both halves of the mould, place a lump of Fimo between them and squeeze out the excess. Bake these parts.

There's a bit of cleaning up and removing flash from the castings, but then you can stick the parts together easily with superglue. You can cut up the parts to make different poses for your figures. I paint mine with acrylics which seem to stick quite well.

To see the finished articles, find Balnakiel halfway down page five of Modelling Matters.
Ian

Return to “Modelling Matters”