Some of you may remember that the figures on my Balnakiel layout are scratch built from Fimo modelling clay. I didn't find it necessary to use wire framing as I made all the body parts separately. The main innovation was to use Fimo to make moulds from these parts, using plenty of talcum powder in the process. At first it's rather time consuming;
1. Make the part and bake it
2. Press the part halfway into a lump of Fimo, using plenty of talc, and then bake that.
3. Place the part into the baked mould and then, after coating with talc, press more Fimo over that to create the other half of the mould. Bake this half.
This gives you the finished moulds. You then have the means to quickly and easily create as many parts as you like, although boredom may set in beyond a dozen at one time!
4. Using talc again on both halves of the mould, place a lump of Fimo between them and squeeze out the excess. Bake these parts.
There's a bit of cleaning up and removing flash from the castings, but then you can stick the parts together easily with superglue. You can cut up the parts to make different poses for your figures. I paint mine with acrylics which seem to stick quite well.
To see the finished articles, find Balnakiel halfway down page five of Modelling Matters.