A brace of Bagnalls

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

A brace of Bagnalls

Postby Steve Holland » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:26 pm

I was only intending to build one Bagnall, using the Brack Models 3D print from Shapeways. Unfortunately the first one that arrived was damaged - the safety valves and steam turret were missing. I got in touch with Shapeways and was expecting just the safety valve assembly to turn up, but was rather surprised to find an entire loco in the second package. Being used to etched brass and whitemetal kits I had forgotten that 3D printing cannot be edited. Great service and thanks Shapeways.
The damaged first print has been the guinea pig for working with 3D prints. The surfaces were covered with Gunze Sangyo Mr Surfacer, then sanded with progressively finer grades of sanding sticks. Several applications were needed before the printing ridges were eliminated.
I decided to dress up the basic models with some extra details as I was going to build a new safety valve assembly to replace the missing one. The safety valve is cobbled up from some copper tube and brass sections, now it is waiting for a pressure gauge and hand wheels to complete.
Seeing that close up I really must put a bit more effort in to cleaning up after soldering!
I also added some angle below the cab - this helps to keep the butchered Percy chassis in the correct alignment. A brake crank was made from styrene, with the threaded shaft from an 8BA screw.
New valve chest covers were made from 20 thou styrene with Grandt Line NBWs and 7mm scale Roscoe displacement lubricators. Clack valves were added to the boiler, and these are also 7mm scale castings.
I also replaced the smokebox darts as the originals were starting to suffer from being knocked by the sanding sticks when smoothing the bodies. As an aside, the handle nearest the door must always be vertical to engage with the dart bar in the smokebox, thus keeping the smokebox door securely closed.
The next little job is to make new reversing levers and quadrants - old sausage fingers (me!!) has managed to knock the top off one, but the locking catch should really be ahead of the lever and the position of the lever would appear to be in the first reverse notch. Probably just me being too picky, but firing these makes me want to get all the bits in the right place.
Both of the Bagnalls are now in much the same state, and should hopefully be getting a coat of primer in the not too distant future. This is them posing outside Smallbeach loco shed (think Snailbeach with the rails closer together).
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, photography, outdoor life.

Postby henrix72se » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:53 pm

Looking great, also the loco shed !!

Looking forward to read future updates, I have two of these to, but in 1/17 scale.

/Henrik
I build Industrial and Military Light Railways in 1/35n18 scale - http://Laurell.Today/

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:05 am

Neat Percy-based project here. Will have to follow this.
Garratts are awesome: don't know of I am up to ever making one.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:04 am

thanks for posting this - I'm always happy to see people building my stuff! Shapeways have plenty of faults, but as a customer their service has always been very good if they get something wrong! Your locos look fantastic.

I had a safety valve missing on the first print of my O9 version, so knocked up a more conventional safety valve and made a cabless loco (your parts look good, just another option). WSF is a pain to have to sand and fill to get a good surface, but it's the only way to keep the price down. I produce my O9 stuff in FUD, but it's half the size (1/8 the volume). The shed looks excellent too.

If its any help, The makers plates for these are smaller than the standard bagnall type, I had http://narrowplanet.co.uk/ draw me up a special set for them in 7mm/ft. The worksplate on the original Gn15 Bagnall was a narrow planet 7mm standard gauge sized one, and is about right (this is the model that juergen now has - there are only 3 of these around in 1/24). You could either use a standard size 7mm/ft one, or ask steve at narrow planet if he'd scale up the smaller special ones to 1/24.

(full disclosure: no financial connection to narrow planet, but he's bought 2 locos of mine, and all my stuff has his plates on them, excellent service and quality).

As for the reversing lever, it wasn't shown on my drawings, so I confess to working blind on some of the cab fittings, and basing them on other similar bagnalls. One of my O9 ones is in the possession of a driver on another welsh NG line and he hasn't noticed yet! Thanks for letting me know, I'll try to sort things out for future projects (due to changes in their software and working methods I had a struggle getting shapeways to accept the 1/24 Bagnall, so daren't mess with it as it took 6 months of trying and 5 revisions to get them to print it)

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks for making the 3D prints available to us. They really capture the character of the small Bagnalls, and it has been an enjoyable build so far. I have always had a bit of a soft spot for these little Bagnalls ever since I got a footplate ride on Pixie at the much missed Cadeby Light Railway.
There is a third Bagnall in 1:24 scale, lurking behind my computer. It is a card mock-up of one of the Kimberley Mines 18 inch gauge 0-4-2 well tanks. It is HUGE compared to the saddle tanks, but may be one day I will get around to building a working model.
The loco is some 9 inches long and 3 1/4 inches wide - it will not fit in to Smallbeach loco shed!
Steve Holland

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Brack » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:39 pm

I know, they're massive! I'd be very interested in details of the other 18" locos kimberly had, as I don't think Olive and her sisters were the first.

when you compare the small Bagnalls to other 18" locos, you understand why the staff at John Knowles thought Scout (their little bagnall) had no guts and didn't use it - Jack and Gwen were much bigger machines (and having seen Jack in the flesh, those bagnalls must be tiny, luckily it won't be long before we can see a real little bagnall - they're building a pair in scarborough). The Woolwich stock is also significantly bigger, especially Albert and Carnegie.

The 1/24 Bagnall prints were really intended as a kind of thank you - it was seeing things on the gnatterbox that helped tempt me back into modelling 3 years ago, so I felt like I ought to give something back to the Gn15 community. The extra detailing work you're doing certainly improves them. It's nice to see people making good use of things I've designed/drawn - gives me encouragement to keep making more. I've sold over 50 locos over the past 18 months, but I've only ever seen what's happened to a handful of them.

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Steve Holland » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Just when I was thinking progress on Smallbeach loco shed was slow http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=9728 I realised that progress on the Bagnalls has been even slower.
I have made up four injectors and their operating rods. These were cobbled up from some plastic rod, Plastruct hexagonal section and some 2.5mm plastic beads for the globe valves on the water inlets.

The injectors are right and left handed so that the operating crank for the water valve is inboard when they are fitted to the locos.

It should have been obvious that no-one can see the operating cranks when the injectors are on the models, but at least I know that all the waggly bits are in the right place. There are also the foundations for the cylinder drain cocks just visible, using O scale handrail knobs. The operating linkage will have to be made up in brass to give it some strength.
I also made two new reversing levers to replace the one I damaged and to fit to the second loco so that it did not feel left out.

You can also see the top bearing for the handbrake column that has been whittled from a scrap of plastic and the end of one of the injector water valve operating rods.
Next on the 'to do' list is a representation of the modified Baguley valve gear once I have worked out where to attach the motion brackets.
I like the way these models look and the way that they have captured the character of the small Bagnall locos. They are really starting to come alive as the extra fiddly bits are being fitted. Now if only I could borrow a Tardis to get a bit of extra free time!!
Steve Holland

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Brack » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:58 pm

You don't fancy detailing me one do you Steve? :)

you're really bringing them to life with all the little bits and pieces (many of which I've only a sketchy idea of what they are or what they do).

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Steve Holland » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 pm

I think I have managed to either burn myself, bruise myself or knock chunks out of myself with most of the bits that are attached to steam locos!
This may help with some of the more mysterious looking bits:
http://www.heritage-railways.com/glossary/steamloco.php
Some of the parts described would, of course, not be required on our small locos - shame they had to use a GWR (Gas Works Railway) loco for an example instead of an LMS (Lose 'em, Mix 'em and Smash 'em) loco.
Now does anyone know what to do with the 200 or so 2.5mm plastic beads left over in the box I had to buy to get the 4 I used to make the injectors?
Steve Holland

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:27 am

Steve Holland wrote:Now does anyone know what to do with the 200 or so 2.5mm plastic beads left over in the box I had to buy to get the 4 I used to make the injectors?
Model a Gnine line serving a foundry which casts injector assemblies.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Steve Holland » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:58 pm

I have made and fitted a few more parts to my pair of Bagnalls. They now have some (dummy) valve gear. This is based on modified Baguley, but has a couple of waggly bits missing. These are the parts.

I made the yokes (the 'U' shaped bits) to scale from a Bagnall drawing but then found that they were too wide to fit next to the pick ups. You can just see the line down the middle where I had to cut about 2mm out and splice them back together.
The valve chests had a hole drilled in them to anchor the valve rod in to, and this would have been a lot easier if I had thought about it before adding the other details. Fortunately I did not knock anything off!
The finished valve gear was fixed to the valve chests and the top slide bars, although it does trap the crosshead. The connecting rod crank pin screws now have to be removed to allow the chassis to be removed from the loco. This is no great hardship as I usually find that the connecting rods have to come off anyway to get the engines back together because I cannot fiddle the crossheads back in to the slidebars when the connecting rods are fitted to the wheels.
This is the right hand side of one loco.

The left hand side along with the end of the reach rod from the reversing lever.

It was a fiddle to make and fit, but the dummy valve gear does help to support the slide bars which only have a fairly small area fixing them to the cylinders. The extra detail also hides most of the pick ups quite well.
I have also finally finished the steam turret/safety valve assembly for the first Bagnall. It was an exercise in fiddly small bits, silver soldering, swearing and getting cold in our garage. For some strange reason that I do not understand my wife will not let me bring the lathe in to the lounge or do any silver soldering indoors either :shock:

I got the valve hand wheels from Modelling Timbers http://www.modellingtimbers.co.uk/22.html
The completed steam turret/safety valve assembly has been fitted to the loco and this shows the two together.

I am resisting the temptation to make another steam turret for the second loco as I will never get them painted. My wife will not let me bring the airbrush in to the house either - something to do with liking the wallpaper and carpet colours as they are :lol:
Steve Holland

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Brack » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Wow, I was happy with the way the prints/design came out, but this is brilliant - love the faked valve gear. I did originally have the correct pattern valve wheels, but shapeways rejected them in 1/24 (despite accepting them in 1/43!?) so had to replace them with plainer ones.

keep it up.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:49 pm

Absolutely LOVE your detail work!
Thanks
Chris
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Steve Holland » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:17 pm

It was b****y cold in the garage, but at last I have got the airbrush out and got some paint on the Bagnalls. This is the initial paint job and will be followed up by some light weathering once the plumbing has been added with some copper wire.
In the best tradition of works photographs the pair are posing 'rods down' outside the loco shed.

The lighting is a bit harsh, but black frames and wheels tend to disappear in to the gloom otherwise - no wonder the loco manufacturers used to paint them grey for the official photos.

I was considering removing alternate spokes from the wheels, but looked at the small diameter of the Bachmann axle end and thought that it would be too easy to loosen the wheels on their axles during the surgery. The wheels do not look too bad now that they are painted black. The pick ups have disappeared nicely as well. I just hope that the cylinder drain cock linkages clear the rails on pointwork as they are a bit low.

I must tone down the shiny coupling and connecting rods when I weather the locos.
Not to be outdone the two Smallbeach infernal commotion locos had some paint applied as well. Hopefully the slightly patchy finish on the Baguley will enhance the layer of grot that will be applied, otherwise it is back to the freezing garage for a re-spray. The small 4 wheel diesel is one of Steve Bennett's Dragonfly kits with some extra detail. I have scribed some larger access panels on the bonnet sides and added the lights from an Italeri truck accessory kit.

That photo has the makings of a nice scene. Must get the some paint on the loco shed and fit the doors - and lay some track and...... :)
Steve Holland

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:53 am

Looking good Steve 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G and Gn15.

Postby Chris18 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:54 am

Wonderful work !
All we are is dust in the wind...
Chris

My favorite place in the world:
http://www.bellevue-cottage.com/en/index.html

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:22 am

Superb Steve. 8)
Peter M

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, photography, outdoor life.

Postby henrix72se » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:43 am

Thumbs up!

/Henrik
I build Industrial and Military Light Railways in 1/35n18 scale - http://Laurell.Today/

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Re: A brace of Bagnalls

Postby Steve Holland » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Glad you like what I am doing to the Bagnalls.
They have both had Christmas presents in the form of name and works plates from Narrow Planet. I fitted these twice - the first time round I found that the top coat of paint had not stuck to the underlying layer and bubbled up when it reacted with the contact adhesive I used on the plates. Lots of muttering getting the loose paint off followed :evil: , but the second go at fitting the plates worked. I made a couple of templates from some scrap styrene sheet to ensure that the name and works plates were consistently placed on both locos.
There was a drop of superglue that escaped when I finally fitted the cab roof on the locos, and getting it off damaged the paint on the right hand side of Sipat's saddle tank. My story is that Sipat's driver carried out a hasty bit of touch up painting to hide some accident damage before the management spotted it - well it sort of fits in with what really happened!
The locos have been lightly weathered to make them look cared for but worked hard. This involved washes of acrylic dirty blacks and rust, most of which has been lifted off with cotton buds dipped in thinners. I tried to work out where the locos would not be cleaned because the area is either out of easy reach, or too tight to get a hand in to, something close has sharp edges, or its too @£$%^& hot. Been there and done that on Fairlies and Garratts, got the scars to prove it.
Smallbeach loco shed had its initial paint applied, so got used for a backdrop to the photos. Makes a change from the toolbox and my wife's cardigan on the back of the chair!

The copper plumbing was stripped from some multi-strand earth cable; the shortest length that you can buy will last for a lot of steam loco models.
DCC has been fitted (hence the numbers on the buffer beams), and a TCS T1 decoder just about fits through the motor hole in the boiler and in to the firebox.
I need to add some dials to the pressure gauges then make some oil cans and firing shovels to add to the cab areas, otherwise the Bagnall twins are complete.
Thanks have to go to Brack for making these seriously attractive locos available. It would have taken a fair while longer to scratch build them.
Steve Holland

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:17 pm

Steve,

These models are beautiful. They also show that 3D printing finishes look realistic. I can't wait to see what the completed engine shed will look like. Your work is museum quality and thank you for sharing them with us.
Warm regards,
Mark

steerngo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: most itams ng

Postby steerngo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:06 am

Very nice locos I wish I could do the same, Well done

trac555
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, 7/8's

Postby trac555 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:43 am

Steve,

As others have said, thanks for taking the time to document and share your build. I especially enjoyed the SBS on how you creatively cobbled together your many detail parts that added so much to the finished model.
Art Farwell

marter1229
'boxer
'boxer

Postby marter1229 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:20 pm

Nicely done! I love those little locos. :D
Terry
CDA, Idaho

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:27 am

Beautiful little machines, NICE work! Thanks for sharing them with us. :)
Ken

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Steve Holland » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:20 pm

Thanks for the kind remarks.
The 3D prints are not difficult to work with, but do repay careful work to fill and smooth off the printing layers. I reckon I spent about 4 or 5 hours on each loco getting a surface that I was happy with. This may sound a lot, but I reckon I could not have scratch built one saddle tank and a smokebox in the time that it took to prepare the visible surfaces of both models. It has been a lot of fun figuring out how to add the extra details, then whittling them out of styrene and scraps from the bits box.
I guess this sort of thing started early for me - I never could build a kit straight from the box. If you reckon you cannot build models then you should see the amount stuff that I have either thrown in the bin or turned in to junk piles on past layouts over the years! The important thing is to enjoy what you are doing and learn something every time you build a new model. As for learning, I am currently trying to get to grips with these new fangled acrylic paints - they don't get complaints about the smell from the domestic authorities :)
Steve Holland

Return to “Modelling Matters”