I was only intending to build one Bagnall, using the Brack Models 3D print from Shapeways. Unfortunately the first one that arrived was damaged - the safety valves and steam turret were missing. I got in touch with Shapeways and was expecting just the safety valve assembly to turn up, but was rather surprised to find an entire loco in the second package. Being used to etched brass and whitemetal kits I had forgotten that 3D printing cannot be edited. Great service and thanks Shapeways.
The damaged first print has been the guinea pig for working with 3D prints. The surfaces were covered with Gunze Sangyo Mr Surfacer, then sanded with progressively finer grades of sanding sticks. Several applications were needed before the printing ridges were eliminated.
I decided to dress up the basic models with some extra details as I was going to build a new safety valve assembly to replace the missing one. The safety valve is cobbled up from some copper tube and brass sections, now it is waiting for a pressure gauge and hand wheels to complete.
Seeing that close up I really must put a bit more effort in to cleaning up after soldering!
I also added some angle below the cab - this helps to keep the butchered Percy chassis in the correct alignment. A brake crank was made from styrene, with the threaded shaft from an 8BA screw.
New valve chest covers were made from 20 thou styrene with Grandt Line NBWs and 7mm scale Roscoe displacement lubricators. Clack valves were added to the boiler, and these are also 7mm scale castings.
I also replaced the smokebox darts as the originals were starting to suffer from being knocked by the sanding sticks when smoothing the bodies. As an aside, the handle nearest the door must always be vertical to engage with the dart bar in the smokebox, thus keeping the smokebox door securely closed.
The next little job is to make new reversing levers and quadrants - old sausage fingers (me!!) has managed to knock the top off one, but the locking catch should really be ahead of the lever and the position of the lever would appear to be in the first reverse notch. Probably just me being too picky, but firing these makes me want to get all the bits in the right place.
Both of the Bagnalls are now in much the same state, and should hopefully be getting a coat of primer in the not too distant future. This is them posing outside Smallbeach loco shed (think Snailbeach with the rails closer together).