Lord Steamy presents - The Steamy Pudding

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Lord Steamy presents - The Steamy Pudding

Postby Artizen » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:14 pm

Now that myself and Lord Steamy are on board five out of six, here is a sneak peek of The Steamy Pudding. A Gn15 layout we have been working on since July 2010. Today board five gets packed away because work will interfere (but the glue has dried now, so all is good).

Total length of the layout will be 4.6 metres when fully set up and 1.6 metres wide - viewed from all four sides as a series of linked self-contained dioramas.

Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:52 pm

Looks very good. When can we expect to see more?

Simon.

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Artizen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks Simon

There is a catalogue of photos dating right back to the beginning and some more will be put up on this thread once an account has been created somewhere to store them.

Right now, I am up to my armpits in designing a large range of narrow gauge rolling stock in 7/8ths scale, but once I have finished building all the test kits and putting them up on the website, I can get back to The Steamy Pudding (which is a layout I have always had great enjoyment building and is the first one I actually want to finish).

There will be a lot of photos eventually so I don't want to overload the system on this forum by uploading 300mb of photos!
Ian Hodgkiss

Brisbane, Australia

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Re: Lord Steamy presents - The Steamy Pudding

Postby Artizen » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:45 am

Well, it's true. You can't predict the future and when I wrote the last post on this thread it was pre-surgery for a brain tumour. So, after too many months of chemical attack by the medical industry I am finished with the chemo and radiation and can think again coherently for more than 10 minutes at a time. So, without further ado, here are another couple of photos of The Steamy Pudding which I found today while I was updating the website (another long story).
Attachments
Home P1030833 trackgang.jpg
Home P1030833 trackgang.jpg (227.27 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
Home P1030711 bridge 800px.jpg
Home P1030711 bridge 800px.jpg (161.17 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
Ian Hodgkiss

Brisbane, Australia

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi Ian,

Good to have you back in here as well as the Lounge.

That's a cracking looking layout so I'm looking forward to reading/seeing more when you have the time.

cheers,

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi Ian,
looks absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing .

Best
Chris
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Wow Ian - utterly stunning!

More pics when you can please!!
Wonderful detail

Roger :shock:
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Artizen » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Thanks for the support. It's fun to photograph a large scale model done in a tiny space. Each diorama measures only 1100mm x 400mm and I have to be careful that I don't get the wooden frame in the shots (way too much Photoshopping!). The last two shots have been put through Photoshop for levels, unsharp masking, odd mistakes removed or painted over, etc. They were heroes that I had printed out at A1 and stuck on boards to go behind the shop at shows. I have some more which I have now gathered into one place so I can find them back.
I am about to start taking photographs again using a new camera (one that focuses manually) and I will try to remember to take some more promotional shots. Finding all the Little People back will be a trick. I know there are about 21 of them including Mario, the Mad Wizard, five Stigs, many Preiser people etc and I really should get on with building a rake of six 2nd class carriages I designed and had laser cut but they have sat in a box since May last year. There is also a loco to build (radio controlled to get past the dodgy point work).
The whole thing was over-wired for DCC and has been powered up for testing but the entire layout has never been fully connected ever so I am still to get a complete circuit finished. Board six is basically started and board five has most of the green stuff down, just need to build five whopper trees to go on it. I am thinking of doing one of my signature brick buildings on board six (with individual bricks) as Gn15 is literally dolls scale and the range of stuff available is staggering.
If anyone is interested, I have a small number of good quality photos here which I could upload. Funny how looking at a good photo of something you have built spurs you on to keep going.
EDIT: This site is unpredictable about connecting and I thought I had lost this post, but it was there when I finally got on! Good times.
Ian Hodgkiss

Brisbane, Australia

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:57 am

Cool stuff. Oh, brain tumor, serious stuff. Glad you are doing reasonable now.
Stig, okay, that's driver guy, knew had heard of the character, but could not recall the name or context.
Trackwork is very appealing - what are the tie plates made of?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Artizen » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:56 am

OK Willow Creek Traction - you are obviously from the USA! Stig is the serious character in Top Gear. Hopefully to be broadcast again when the Clarkson stoush is settled.
Tie plates - hmm I interpret that to mean the chairs under the track above the sleepers which are made of two pieces of dark brown cardboard glued together and spiked into the genuine timber sleeper with spikes I obtained years ago from the Old Pullman Railroad Co -
52142 o SPIKES SHORT, 3/16", 5000 PCS 23.99 (still have over 1000 of them in a bottle).
The rails are painted with a mixture of artist acrylics plus Vallejo leather brown etc which is dark but looks good in photos. The track started life as Peco code 100 flexitrack which I put into a jig and cut the web between every fourth sleeper which gave me near enough narrow gauge spacing and the ability to have scale sleepers. Remembering that this is 1:24 (or 1:22.5 depending on the supplier) the timber work has to be done by hand to give it that solid chunky well spaced look. Still needs weathering and weeding up which will happen once all the boards are finished. I have several thousand weeds, many bushes and other stuff in boxes ready for the final decrepit look of a family-owned narrow gauge tourist line.
Attachments
Home P1050152 SFER4.jpg
Home P1050152 SFER4.jpg (207.38 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
Ian Hodgkiss

Brisbane, Australia

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:04 am

Welcome back Ian, will be great to see developments as they progress. Your last photo looks very much like that illustrious Square Foot Wagon that must go down as the most travelled Model Rail hardware of all time.
For Gnewcomers you can find the wagon's journey here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7987
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Artizen » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:21 am

Gerry - you mean this little thing?

Overlooked by an admiring crowd, SFER4 gets mobbed while enjoying celebrity visiting status on The Steamy Pudding. From left, one of the security guards, two of the relief drivers, the Mad Wizard, another relief driver, Norm the builder and a short bloke called Mario.
Attachments
P1050130 SFER4 800pxv2.jpg
P1050130 SFER4 800pxv2.jpg (182.2 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
Ian Hodgkiss

Brisbane, Australia

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:00 am

Artizen wrote:OK Willow Creek Traction - you are obviously from the USA!
Indeed I am :) For various health reasons from several years back,I can no longer watch TV - which makes for a lot that I do not know about at all, and a bunch that I know of, but don't really know.

Tie plates - hmm I interpret that to mean the chairs under the track above the sleepers which are made of two pieces of dark brown cardboard glued together and spiked into the genuine timber sleeper with spikes I obtained years ago from the Old Pullman Railroad Co -

Ah, thanks, and, correct, http://harmersteel.com/catalog/track-to ... ie-plates/
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Artizen » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:47 am

Thanks for that link. I bet only really posh narrow gauge railways had tie plates though. Much too much money to simply hold the rails in gauge - after all, most narrow gauge lines were run on the sniff of an oily rag. Although I notice most of the preserved/heritage restoration lines have plates and pandrol clips! And what looks like real-life code 100 rail! They must be planning on running the line for at least the next 100 years with that amount of overkill. Although in the case of the Ffestiniog and others, the trains are around 14 coaches long and relatively frequent so there may be a need that the local estate line never saw.

The Steamy Pudding is supposed to be an estate railway much in the spirit of Sir Heywood's thoughts. I can't remember if his line was built to such a high standard though. Back then, I would expect it was the weather that destroyed the gauge of the line rather than heavy passenger trains at hourly intervals.
Ian Hodgkiss

Brisbane, Australia

Robatron86
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Models, Music and Motors

Postby Robatron86 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:22 am

Fantastic work Ian. So much inspiration.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Are U sure that red "security guard" actually works for the railroad. I can hear "exterminate" muttering under his breath.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Artizen » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:38 pm

Messing with a security guard on The Steamy Pudding has been known to end in a bright flash and a puff of smoke. There are four of them found in the local ABC store as key rings. The Stigs were resting inside soap and were unbelievably almost correct size. Mario and many of his co-stars can be found in EB Games.

The universal standard for child-friendly figurines is 90mm and then there is the wargaming 54mm scale so 1:24 is rare when searching for relevant little people for the layout which is why there are so many Preiser figures.

Currently I am photographing more products under studio lighting which gives me a perfect excuse to drag each of the dioramas onto the table and use the lighting for hero shots. Later, when the six carriages are built, I will have another excuse to do more photographs with as many figures included as possible.

I would like to get as many good quality photographs as possible so I have a record. There is a record of the build going back five years totalling about 2500 images showing quite a few of the buildings and track, even a few of how the dioramas were constructed in case I ever went completely mad and wanted to build more! Rule #1 - never build a portable diorama that is too heavy to lift off a shelf as you get older, it's getting harder every day!
Ian Hodgkiss

Brisbane, Australia

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:48 am

Artizen wrote:Rule #1 - never build a portable diorama that is too heavy to lift off a shelf as you get older, it's getting harder every day!
Guess it would be smart to write that on the wall or workbench or somewhere so I'll remember it.
And am looking forward to seeing the carriages.

Return to “Modelling Matters”