Gn15 track ?

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:46 am

Gerry Bullock wrote:54 Gnatterboxers have been around since 2003, a few no longer with us.
Remember when one fellow's wife passed away, she made G scale birds and plants. I joined, forgot, and joined a couple years later with different screen name.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:52 am

Willow Creek Traction wrote:
Gerry Bullock wrote:54 Gnatterboxers have been around since 2003, a few no longer with us.
Remember when one fellow's wife passed away, she made G scale birds and plants. I joined, forgot, and joined a couple years later with different screen name.

Oh yes I recall her work it was really very special!
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

Narrow gauge Nutter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: anything & everything narrow gauge

Track

Postby Narrow gauge Nutter » Sat May 03, 2014 11:29 am

On converting track to Gn15/1:32.

I have found the easiest way to adapt track (have not seen this done, but probably has been :lol: ) is with set-track to stick the track upside-down
onto a workboard - I use an old glass shelf - with double-sided tape.
This holds the rails in gauge very well.
Then remove the sleepers you don't want - I use a "Dremel" with a cutting blade.
I then stick the new sleepers in position with a good quality superglue (do not use a cheap one - the bond is not good enough).
I also pre-colour the sleepers (wooden) before use, as the glue can show through with a water based paint/stain.
Once you have replaced and removed all the sleepers use a long bladed knife to ease the track away from tape BE CAREFUL :shock:
or you can end up with a kit of parts......
This is where the quality of the glue comes in :D
I then glue the track down and install track spikes to firmly fix the rails in position.
You can get away with using deep-ish ballast and glue on the outside of the rails instead of spikes.

This can be done with flexi-track by setting the curve as you stick the track upside-down (fiddly :) ),
once the new sleepers are on the flex is removed, apart from for minor corrections.
So you do have to get it right.

Hope this helps, is of interest.
David H-G, the Narrow gauge Nutter

Lost in France and loving it!

Christian
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 is a free world !

Postby Christian » Sat May 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks. It's another way to make Gn15 track.
Make today a great day ! :D :D :D

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sat May 03, 2014 4:47 pm

If you want to have trck in a paved underground and happen to run your locos per battery / RC, simply encrave two grooves into the ground:

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Modelling Matters”