More Gn15 kits ?

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Christian
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 is a free world !

More Gn15 kits ?

Postby Christian » Mon May 12, 2014 5:02 pm

Who makes Gn15 kits (easy to build for newbies because I'm a poor builder) ?
I already know Pepper7 and Smallbrook. But who else ?
All your answers are welcome !
Last edited by Christian on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Make today a great day ! :D :D :D

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon May 12, 2014 7:59 pm

Try Tom Bell (Tebee) who has some 3D printed models on Shapeways, he has quite a few posts here as well.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Christian
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Christian » Wed May 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks. I tried this website but I can't find what I need.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sun May 18, 2014 7:20 am

Please specify precisely what exactlty you are looking for and how much you can invest.

I think every available Gn15 kit offered in this world has been introduced or mentioned in this forum.

Regarding Teebee´s Shapeway designs, I often wondered, why no one ever, not even the designer himself, ever showed an assembled loco from this designer.

Have Fun

Juergen

Christian
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Christian » Sun May 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks for your answer.
I can't find what I want, so I'll try to build my very first diesel critter.
I don't think I'm going to start a topic for this critter... :roll:

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sun May 18, 2014 3:14 pm

I don't think I'm going to start a topic for this critter...

Good idea. We have far too many "unfinished revolutions" in this forum, where people started building something and disappeared in thin air after the first few steps

Much better to start a topic, when the new critter is more or less finished.

Have Fun

Juergen

Christian
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Christian » Mon May 19, 2014 7:36 am

KEG wrote:
I don't think I'm going to start a topic for this critter...
Good idea. We have far too many "unfinished revolutions" in this forum, where people started building something and disappeared in thin air after the first few steps
Much better to start a topic, when the new critter is more or less finished.
Have Fun
Juergen

You're absolutely right. Nobody will see it ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Mon May 19, 2014 12:33 pm

I'm not sure that I agree that a build thread that ends half completed is not worth while.

Anything which shows the process of building a model can provide information and inspiration to others. A build thread often leads to discussions between members and this can help the original poster to improve on the model while building it.

Some people have found that by starting a build thread and updating progress, they are encouraged to keep on with the project. If you are the only person in the world that knows about your project, it can be easy to run out of steam. If others are watching, this encourages progress.

Also, there have been some comments about how quiet the Gnatterbox is recently. Any new thread showing that GN15 modelling is growing and attracting new modellers can only be a good thing.

Just my take on this.
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Also postmaster for The Gower Islands Postal Service.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Thu May 22, 2014 3:10 am

I agree! IMO, any posts on scratch building have merit. Yes, there are lots of unfinished projects, but I've learned a lot from many of them. I enjoy the evolution of builds, even if they are never finished.

Posting in-progress builds tends to show more details of the build from what I've seen. 8)

Edited to add...

No disrespect meant at all Juergen, I have read a lot of your posts and most of them make me grin. I like that! Fun is what this is about to me. :)
Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu May 22, 2014 8:46 am

I normally find that if I record progress of a project it is more likely to not get finished as something does not work out. This tends to mean that when I do publish info, either online or in magazine articles there isn't much about the build process.
I do still like following progress others are making.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Christian
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Christian » Thu May 22, 2014 10:24 am

rue_d_etropal wrote:I normally find that if I record progress of a project it is more likely to not get finished as something does not work out. This tends to mean that when I do publish info, either online or in magazine articles there isn't much about the build process.
I do still like following progress others are making.

I totally agree with that. I start a new topic only when I'm very proud of what I have done.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu May 22, 2014 4:25 pm

I will still post messages etc. Its just that I don't take photos as those where I do seem to fail. Don't know why, but it seems to happen.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Thu May 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Someone should change the title of this thread.
Can´t find any Gn15 kits in here.

Have Fun

Juergen

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Sun May 25, 2014 7:15 am

8) My advice to newcomers, who profess limited talent, is to get a Bachmann Davenport Gas Mechanical, and a Sidelines/Pepper cab kit.... and have a go. And, for track, my simple advice is use PECO On30, unaltered (but weathered).... some guys just get too complicated, trying to modify ordinary OO or HO track. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Christian
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Christian » Sun May 25, 2014 7:31 am

You're absolutely right.
But, where can I find a Bachmann Davenport ?
This diesel is no longer in production...and I didn't find it on Ebay

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun May 25, 2014 8:09 am

KEG wrote:Regarding Teebee´s Shapeway designs, I often wondered, why no one ever, not even the designer himself, ever showed an assembled loco from this designer.

Have Fun

Juergen

Haven't shown any of the steam locos as I've not had enough spare cash to buy one!

The O9 version of them has been made and sold on Ebay though.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun May 25, 2014 9:07 am

Hi Tom, good to see you still around. I did notice you had some items on ebay.
Must admit I must have spent quite a lot on test prints of my models. Gets a bit scary sometimes, but for me once everything works, hopefully it is a hands off operation. Tend to try and pick a sample, knowing others are basically the same so should also work.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun May 25, 2014 9:30 am

I have been a bit busy with other things, mostly helping an old friend out, who I owe a few big favors to.

I'm coming back to the UK for a month in a couple weeks to help him some more, back doing my old computer job. Once that is out of the way, should have a bit more time for trains again, at the moment the business is just ticking over.

My problem has always been I produce more stuff than I can buy to test print. It did not help that I started this business when I was ill and unable to work any other way and had already burned through all my reserves, so had no capital.

After 3 years I'm now making enough to live on, but still short of the capital I need to expand the business as much as I want.

I'm trying to do more where I buy stuff in bulk from Shapeways and resell so people can see what they are buying. It costs a bit more, mainly as it's worse for me from a tax point of view ( I pay 16% on what I sell rather than 16% on just my Shapeways markup)

Capital is slowly building up, I've now got almost 10,000 euros worth of stock to support the 200 or so lines I sell this way, but I've had to concentrate on the more popular scales like 009. My little venture into O9 was quite successful, but I've still got 4 unsold locos out of 25, so it might be a little while before I do the next batch.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun May 25, 2014 9:46 am

Tom,
you are lucky to be able to find some computer work. That's what upset my apple cart a few years ago.
Anyway, concentrating on the smaller models makes sense as the cost is a lot less than the bigger(Gn15) models. I have also found that file size has meant it is more difficult to 'buy' several models at discount. Also I am working on a 'hands off' business model, so hopefully after initial investment, I should be able to sit back and relax.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun May 25, 2014 10:46 am

Only got this gig as I'm basically doing it for expenses! This guy helped me out big time when I had to give up work before to look after my mum full-time and it's only because of him I did not end up with the house being repossessed so it's time to repay the favour.

My friend has a rest home and is disappearing under the mountain of paperwork required by the current regulations. He is producing roughly 10 pages of paper per resident per day, which has to be kept for 10 years and is at the point where he has had to lose one registred bedroom just to store it in after they deemed storing it in the loft a fire hazard .

Hopefully a new computerised system should avoid this and help reclaim some of the staff hours wasted doing it. I'm going over to install it and train the staff.

Small scale items should still result in the same sized files as large scale ones unless they have less detail. Packing stuff in to get bulk buys is well worth it under Shapeways WSF pricing structure. I have an 8 year old version of my cad package though and notice it handles large files with up to 40 locos in at a time whereas the current 32 bit version only manages about 20 before it runs out of memory. If I do upgrade it will need to be to the 64 bit version but that's the wrong side of £3,000.

I still find many people reluctant to buy from Shapeways directly, I too like you, hoped for a hands off no capital tied up business , but find I sell 3 times as much Ebay and other channels that direct through Shapeways, though that is not an entirely valid comparison as the Shapeways sales are 100% profit while the others are not.

Tom

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Sun May 25, 2014 11:39 am

tebee wrote:

I still find many people reluctant to buy from Shapeways directly,

I have looked at Shapeways several times and while there are some items that look interesting there is often too little information about the additional bits required i.e. suitable chassis, underframe, wheel diameter etc.

I like to have an idea of the cost of a project before I start and it is very frustrating to end up spending more and more before you get to the finished item. With ebay sales there is usually more information which may account for the greater volume sold that way.

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun May 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Yes I appreciate that - I think I expect people on Shapeways to be that bit more experienced and adventurous - maybe that is the wrong attitude.

Tom

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sun May 25, 2014 1:03 pm

How can I trust desigers who offer models at Shapeways, if they have not have test printed it or actually have build a sample?

I am quite happy with my Shapeway BAGNALL, designed and assembled by Brack http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=781

Many GN 15 kits were in the past introducd in the Trade Section of this forum. But many have been removed meanwhile .

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun May 25, 2014 1:10 pm

I try and put info about chassis etc on my Shapeways listings. From experience I have found info on ebay very poor, as it is quite often people selling something they have little knowledge of.
On Shapeways you at least get the basic dimensions, automatically.
There is a problem, though when models are designed for a specific chassis, eg Underground Ernie or Smokey Joe/Bill/Ben , as the manufacturer might stop producing the chassis or change the design.
When you compare the costs then 3D printing seems expensive, but to develop a r2r model costs thousands of pounds, which is just not an option for low interest models. Even resin casting has an outlay, and moulds wear out, and then you are dependent on a small company, possibly only one person to do everything, and that can go wrong. This is why I prefer the 3D option for my models. If there is a problem Shapeways sort it out, assuming its not your design fault.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun May 25, 2014 2:19 pm

Most of my designs so far have been agnostic as to chassis requirements - they are designed so that they can fit on to the largest number of possible chassis to give people as much chance as possible to fit whatever chassis the have available in their bits box or they find on a second hand stall.

Besides the age old problems of chassis becoming unobtainable we also have to remember that Shapeways is a global marketplace and what is simple to obtain in the UK may not be in Germany, the USA or Australia.

As to not doing test prints, they don't gain you all that much. With Shapeways what is printable this week may not be next and I believe they are slightly less stringent with models ordered by designers than ones ordered by the public.

I'm also fairly confident about most of my designs working because of the time and effort I put into planning each one. Many use common parts - if a part works in one design it will work in another. I do try to test every part that has to interface with parts from other manufacturers, though I do not test each instance of that part.

I can design stuff far quicker than I can build it - if I we were to wait for me to build everything first I would have 10% of the range I have. I can also offer things much cheaper with only 10-20% markup if I don't spend the money on a test print first. With 20% markup I'd need to sell 5 of an item before I recovered it's cost and many of my items have only sold one or two, especially ones in the more obscure scales like Gn15.

In the end it's my decision as to how I run my business. I can offer lots of choices at a lower price or a few at a more expensive one. I've gone for the former - if you don't like the necessary shortcuts I've had to take to run it like that you don't need to buy from me. I know at least three people who now buy my stuff, finish it off and resell on Ebay. You can buy from them if you want completed stuff that you know will work.

Tom

Return to “Modelling Matters”