More Gn15 kits ?

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun May 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Shapeways do claim that if a model prints once, then it should not fail a second time. There might still be slight variances plus/minus point 25 mm, but that should not be a problem most of the time.
I found out quite a bit reading through their forum, also there is normally someone to answer queries.
Although I am describing them as test prints, I normally have a use for them on one of my layouts.
As what I a designing is for me as ell, I tend to design round a specific chassis, although is normally quite easy to adapt other chassis. I have not bothered to design some loco models simply because I can't find a suitable chassis.
The tram track range is mainly designed for others, one reason why I have had to tweak it to handle the variances of 3D printing.
I love a challenge, but I am pushing my computer to its limit on the design side. I have had to give up on some ideas, and gone back and redone others, buy I am going to have a small working layout in an APA box with multiple gauges.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Sun May 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Just to put Tom's (Tebee's) remarks into perspective a little, I've only sold 3 of my Bagnall Sipat class in Gn15. This is partly why I haven't ventured into Gn15 since if I'm honest. The other difficulty is that my own modelling is in O9, so at least with O9 when I test print it I have a use for the finished model, rather than a large, expensive ornament! I'm not really trying to make a business out of it either, I tend to have a smaller markup than most of the other designers I know as my only real goal is that I can sell a few of them so mine is paid for. Any extra sales after that are a bonus.

I do wonder sometimes if I shouldn't just churn out 009 stuff to boost my funds, but I don't have enough of an interest in it as I prefer the larger scales.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun May 25, 2014 10:11 pm

Getting the balance between personal interest, and commercial viability is the point. Great thing about Shapeways, as I said is that you don't have to invest the cash before selling any items. It helps if you want models for personal use, and the smaller scale models are a lot less expensive.
I have tested out one model in OO9, as a challenge and because someone suggested it, but there isn't much point in expanding range as others like Tom as well as Chris Ward are producing good models in that scale. I only produced range in 1/43 scale because I had several people asking for it and it was the first smaller scale I did, another challenge. I know how to do it, but would rather do something different.
Apart from a couple of freelance items for one of my minimum gauge projects, most of my models are of real locos and wagons. Oddly I find that easier because I don't have to think , just adapt what I see in front of me. It actually is a good companion for my creative side which I am trying to develop in my artwork. I do use creativity when building layouts to display models though.
As for Gn15, I have thought about it, but ill probably only design something when I get back into Gn15 again. I have a lot of other projects in mind before that. Chances are first loco would be a stretched version of my Decauville as I hinted at in another thread. There was also some discussion concerning a Gn15 Simplex .
But before that here is a short list of my ideas for other projects

Complete larger WW1 APA box layout in 1/35
Finish off 1/32 9mm gauge in APA box layout
!/35 layout 1940s, post WW2.
1/32 mixed gauge layout
5.5mm/ft layout, 16.5mm and 12mm gauges (APA?)
OO gauge 1970s southern electric(again APA based)
French HO standard gauge modules

and probably a few more before I get back to Gn15
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Mon May 26, 2014 9:22 am

Contributions about planned non Gn15 projects do not really help to answer the question for Gn15 kits.

Google might be a first step for the search: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gn15

The Laser-folks offer a few kits: http://www.lasergang-shop.de/shop/Gn15-Lok--und-Wagenbausaetze/Gn15-Lokomotiven-nach-Feldbahnvorbild/Lokomotiven-19/

Modelwerx from Canada offer a fine boxcab-kit http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=43&p=153&hilit=Modelwerx#p153

Someone in Britain, who´s name I have forgotten at the moment, offers etched brass kits for Gn15 Locos and wagons.

Ozark Miniatures offer mining locos and waggons made from white metal.

JL Toefflholm just assembled the excursion car lasercut kit he developed a few days ago.
http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1407

There are a lot more Gn15 offerings available. Have a look at meetings, Ebay or the Black Market.

Have Fun

Juergen

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon May 26, 2014 11:06 am

KEG wrote:Contributions about planned non Gn15 projects do not really help to answer the question for Gn15 kits.

AGREED Juergen, might have to move some posts to a new thread.

Someone in Britain, who´s name I have forgotten at the moment, offers etched brass kits for Gn15 Locos and wagons.

Have Fun

Juergen
:wink:

The etched brass kits come from mgmodels.co.uk. I have a Loco and they are good.
Thread is here: http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=8397
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon May 26, 2014 1:00 pm

point was I was making was that WHEN I get round other projects I might be tempted to produce something in Gn15.
Like a lot of issues related to model railways, my answer to those looking for something, do it yourself. There are some free software packages out there for 3D design, so have a go.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Mon May 26, 2014 3:41 pm

If looking for kits, I can´t use a suggestion, to start designing my own kits.
I don´t buy a cow, just because I need a drop of milk in my tea every once in a while.

A friend of ours bought a teebee Shapeway kit last December.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/527454/loco-complete-no5-gn15.html?li=search-results&materialId=6

Discribed the building of it (in German) in here: http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1190

Looks like a very fine freelance loco, resembling a small Decauville.

Have Fun

Juergen

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Mon May 26, 2014 8:36 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote: I have found info on ebay very poor, as it is quite often people selling something they have little knowledge of.

You are so right Simon.

At the moment there some 009 coaches advertised as Egger Bahn even though the pictures clearly show the boxes stating that they are Jouef/ Playcraft manufacture. And they are the correct boxes!

However if you "manufacturers" were to sell items that way I am sure the info would be correct.

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Tue May 27, 2014 12:48 am

:( Concerns me how this thread has gone way off topic. A guy has asked for some 'simple, basic' advice. Discussion has got far too complex for a newie..... enough to put them off, I suggest.
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue May 27, 2014 2:31 pm

at least it has woken up the forum, thought it was falling asleep.
We should be grateful to have manufacturers actually producing models for us. It costs a lot to start off any company, and then hold stock. Unfortunately we have also witnessed some of the problems of running a small company and the lack of understanding by some. Even a big company such as Hornby has been having supply problems recently, and as a result is moving some manufacture(possibly all) back to UK. Just think what its like when you are on your own.
As a market we are a very small fish in a large pond, even Fleischmann dropped their reasonably popular Magic Train range.
This is why I like 3D printing, and mentioned the Gn15 ones Tom has designed. Those can be ordered online and hopefully delivered with no problem.
I remember when Tom first posted, asking if there was any interest in r2r Gn15 models, and I don't think there has been a rush of orders.
Hopefully the way this thread has swayed side to side, has helped answer the question.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Tue May 27, 2014 4:48 pm

It's still in my mind to do the RTR Gn15 stuff at some point, but won't be for a while yet.

I have no idea how well it will sell at the price point I need - about £90 loco, £40 wagon painted RTR or £65 loco, £30 wagon unpainted, kit, but when I have some spare capital I want to try and see.

The advantage of 3-d printing is I can do a very small run of these to see how it goes, probably 5 locos and 30 wagons, so it's not a huge outlay on my behalf - if I wasn't relying on this for my income, I'd be happy to risk it.

I tend to think most Gn15 modelers are a fairly self sufficient, independent and creative lot who are quite capable of bashing their own trains from whatever lies around, but maybe this will attract a few others to the scale.

It's a scale I quite like, even though I'm not actively modeling in it and at some point I do intend to build a Gn15 layout. Problem is I want to build something like Smithie's yard and that's a bit big to take with me as a demo layout - maybe I'll stick to O9 instead!

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Thu May 29, 2014 9:55 am

A guy has asked for some 'simple, basic' advice.

Well, he received all the advice people were willing to give. Most members did not bother at all.

Seems he was not too much interested in it anyway. Basicly he got nothing which has not been dealt with before in this forum.

Have Fun

Juergen

Christian
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 is a free world !

Postby Christian » Thu May 29, 2014 12:05 pm

I got exactly what I need. And it's a free forum. That's all folks ! :D
Make today a great day ! :D :D :D

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:40 am

If someone wants to built a vintage Emettish Train, he can dowload the cardboard kit prints from the pages of the Rowland Emett Socity.

You have to register at: http://www.rowlandemett.com/

My Cardboad NELLIE runs on a Fleischmann Magic Train chassis.

Have Fun

Juergen

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:47 am

Some new model kits at Shapeways: http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1346&p=8178#p8178

The designer, Ronald Sandbahner, normally makes a test assembly of his designs, before they are offered to customers.

Have Fun

Juergen
Last edited by KEG on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:44 am

The Shapeways skip kits look really good. Nice to see the modellers of the world embracing that technology for low-run models at high quality.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:04 am

Just found the excellent thread on Gn15 listers based on the Scott b. kits:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=7290&highlight=lister+kits

If I am informed right, the molds still exist and Scott is willing to sell parts.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Modelling Matters”