A confession (Bachmann gas mech bash)

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

A confession (Bachmann gas mech bash)

Postby Si » Fri May 30, 2014 1:20 pm

As of next month I will have been on this site for four years I believe. In that time I have applauded the work of others, offered bits of advice where I could, commented on various issues and even posted pics of my minimum gauge O9 layouts and models. But what I have never actually done is......build anything in Gn15 :oops: :shock: :roll: :evil:

So I thought it finally time to rectify the issue and have started with a micky mouse Bachmann Gas Mechanical Davenport bash. The engine was previously converted to a semi-open cab On16.5, hence the paint already on the body. All I'm going to do is stick a new plasticard cab on, a bit of simple detailing on the RTR body and repaint it. But at least it's a start at last!

So first pic below while I wait for the rivets to dry before I can paint and then fit the windscreen. No idea how high the cab oughta be...just playing it by ear and vaguely doubling the dimensions of my O9 stuff (given that my cheap plastic figures from China appear to correspond to 14mm:1ft. More later.

Last edited by Si on Sat May 31, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 is a free world !

Postby Christian » Fri May 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Sounds good. Can't wait for the next step !
Make today a great day ! :D :D :D

thtroll
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: On30, On18, Gn15

Postby thtroll » Sat May 31, 2014 3:45 am

Looking good so far, Si. I'll be following.
Cheers, Heath.

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Si » Sat May 31, 2014 3:29 pm

Bit more progress. Alas, I'm having to chop up figures to fit the cab, which is slowing things somewhat.

ian holmes
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, photography and maintaining my Englishness living in America

Postby ian holmes » Sat May 31, 2014 3:58 pm

Chopping figures to fit in the cab goes with the territory. :lol:
Model railway psychic nutjob
Ian's Gn15 pages at http://www.iholmes.com
Try something different http://gnine.info

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Sat May 31, 2014 4:31 pm

I agree with Ian, a bit of surgery is almost a given to get the figures into a cab :lol: .

I went to a 15inch gauge line and they showed me how they squeeze into the cab of one of their locos and you could see where the paint had rubbed off where they jammed themselves in :shock:

Simon
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat May 31, 2014 7:21 pm

Cross Kitter wrote:... and you could see where the paint had rubbed off where they jammed themselves in
That could get uncomfortable after a day's work. Now that you say it, even though I would not have thought of that tight a fit, it sounds logical and expected. But, yeah, humanbashing goes right along with the kitbashing, just another model part to tweak to fit.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Si » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:08 pm

So, I decided to paint it yellow....as you can see below. Yes, I did say "yellow", however I seem to have issues with yellow paint. Three times I have now been to the shops to buy a simple tin of acrylic yellow to paint this loco, and each time things have ended in abject failure. I know that I have picked up a tin of paint, I know that I have placed it on the counter and offered the shop keeper money for it, I know that it has been placed in a bag, but there is not one tin of yellow paint to be found in my house.....where is it all going? Have I a paintergeist?

So Thus, an alternative to yellow had to be found, and I chose this sort of industrial grey blue as this is what I'd just used on the 14mm:1ft 32mm gauge loco and it looked OK. On top of this I have given it a light first coat of rust and grime.

Also, added a fuel tank (yes, yes, I know I've forgotten the filer cap, but that's probably for the best considering how close to the exhaust some idiot has mounted it!). Plus, the Frankensteination of driver has begun - I fear that his feet will have to come off for some shin lengthening.

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:27 pm

You could put the pedals under his feet instead of lengthening his legs.

Simon
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.

I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Si » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Got a roof on it now, a windscreen, a hand brake and a filler cap.

Afraid that I went a little OTT with the weathering on the roof - might have to do it again.

Next up the windscreen wiper and weathering the glass...erm, not sure how to do that...any ideas? I'd like it to look like the windscreen wiper has scraped an inverted fan shape through all the grime.

As always, any further thoughts or suggestions for improvement welcome.#

Christian
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 is a free world !

Postby Christian » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Well done as usual. Please don't paint it yellow. This color is perfect.
Make today a great day ! :D :D :D

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:39 pm

For the grot cleared from the windscreen by the wiper you will need a mask. Cut this from a piece of masking tape to the shape swept by the wiper, stick it on the windscreen and add weathering to taste. Peel off the mask and you should have a clean bit surrounded by dirt.
Hope that is of some help.
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:14 pm

That looks pretty good to me Si, very realistic. 8)
Peter M

thtroll
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: On30, On18, Gn15

Postby thtroll » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:08 am

Looks great, Si. Great job on the extras.
Cheers, Heath.

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Si » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks guys...have t say that I've enjoyed building this one more than I've enjoyed a build for ages...could really get into this Gn15 lark!

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Si » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:07 pm

Do'h.
I was at the Telford show on the weekend, talking to a couple of chaps about Bachmann Gas Mechanicals. One mentioned that the cogs on the axles tended to split if the engine hadn't been run for a long time, so I thought that I should run mine just to check it.

Power on, light on, no movement. Power reversed, light on, no movement.

Surely my cog hadn't split?

Erm, no...I'd managed to glue one of the cranks to the underside of the foot plate. So I freed it up and the engine ran...clonk clonk clonk down the track....seems that I've managed to mangle so teeth on the cog (which was otherwise perfect before I tried to run it) while putting power through it with the glue holding the crank to the body.

Ho hum, begging letter to Bachmann on the way.

On the plus side - something has run on my first ever Gn15 layout! (it's still just some track on a baseboard so nothing to show the world yet).

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:44 am

Bachmann were very helpful with me, a replacement cog for price of a stamp I think. The second time I wrecked one cog I found you could run with them swapped around.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:46 am

Christian wrote:Well done as usual. Please don't paint it yellow. This color is perfect.

What's wrong with yellow :?:

Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Return to “Modelling Matters”