Newly arrived engines...

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Newly arrived engines...

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:48 pm

A friend sent me these model airplane engines after I asked for cheap ones (broken is fine) to use as the basis for some model work.

Here's the story:

We arrived home today to find that the railroad had delivered several oversize loads to the property.  

As you can see in this pic, we now have enough power plants and compressors for most of the operation. Daffy thinks the engine on the flat car is large enough to run the town power plant. We had planned steam power, but it looks like it will be diesel now. (Yes, my model license covers change of fuel...   )

The chief engineer (the suit on the right side of the pic) thinks that 'his' engine will power the saw mill, when converted to steam.

The others are just awe struck by the size of the equipment that has arrived. We will need the heavy crane to move this stuff!  

I'm considering making a working compressor out of the .049 engine, to be powered by one of my steam engines.
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Re: Newly arrived engines...

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:22 am

Nevadablue wrote:I'm considering making a working compressor out of the .049 engine, to be powered by one of my steam engines.
That would be cool. Way cool.
Man it has been ages since gottn my hands on any of those. Dad had some .15 and .35 ones. Grandad all the way from .010 CO2 to .35. Me, a couple .049 and a Cox Golden Bee .049 was fanciest motor I ever had. Then I decided I like rubber power planes - and model trains! - better than glow fuel planes.
And once you know the sound those motors make, you can pick it out from anything else for the rest of eternity.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:11 pm

I never realized why they BUZZ... the .049 runs at 15,000 to 20,000 RPM apparently. :shock:
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:26 am

I got another engine. This one is getting hauled to the shop in a partially converted truck.

The truck is to become one of these...

Ken

terrystrains
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railways from TT to Gn15.

Postby terrystrains » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:59 am

Or what about this, its Gn15.

[img][img]http://my.gn15.info/011.jpg[/img][/img]

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Nevadablue wrote:I never realized why they BUZZ... the .049 runs at 15,000 to 20,000 RPM apparently. :shock:
I'm not sure the prop blade ends don't go supersonic at that rotational speed. And I'm not sure that I'm not entirely serious about that, because they are movin'.
I remember Dad having one .35 he couldn't ever get started. Granddad Wood came to visit - 45 seconds with it and he had it whizzing away. That man sure had the right shui, zen, karma, vibes, or something, with airplanes, model and prototype both.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Return to “Modelling Matters”