Bullers Quay

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: GN15 G-Scale and 009

Bullers Quay

Postby adamc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:56 am

Image [/img]

welcome to bullers quay

started as a G scale ,but converted now to GN 15 :)

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:58 am

9mm plywood top and base
sundry pine for the harbour walls, the space inside is used to store the locos and wagons

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:00 am

A hastings flavour for the back drop

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:01 am

first building
although now the roof has been trimmed to look more like a hut

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:04 am

early incarnation in G

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi Adam,

An interesting concept - you can pack a lot more into the scene in Gn15. I look forward to seeing your progress with this layout.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:06 pm

Are there plans to retain the regular G track there front left? Perhaps with Gn15 inset in its center? I ask becasuse of my thought that the public might enjoy the shocking difference in bulk between Gn15 and what might be even merely meter to 42 inch gauge (depending on proportional scale chosen).
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:45 pm

HI
yes, the plan is to retain the small piece of G track at the front. That is where the fish is shipped from and supplies arrive. Then transferred to the narrow gauge line for dispersal around the dock as well.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:50 pm

Started on some of the locals, modeltown figures
however I wanted the old sailor dude to have welly boots, so fashioned some boot tops from card and filled/sanded his shoes and trousers in.
now looks a bit more like he does some work, and a tray of fish and some home made crates
Also requested by her indoors to have a polka dot dress, that took longer than expected!
Not sure that the other half now is a fish wife however, looking for a small chip of diamond to go on the hand.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:58 pm

The kids also want to be in on it, hence trying to replicate daughters favourite t-shirt, almost forgetting this is "supposed" to be railway

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:08 am

With all the rubbish piling up during the reconstruction work I needed a skip. I managed to find all the dimensions online and a few bits of card and some dowel I had a skip. I also added some brass wire and balsa to simulate the lock down lugs on the bottom as well. Nice cheap addition.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:10 am

As you might have noticed, the fruit wagon came in today, and I found that these peppercorns fitted the bill perfectly for apples. Perhaps a bit expensive seeing as it was waitrose, but so far its filled the entire set of crates as I gave up trying to make even 3 of them in modelling clay!

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:13 am

Also as it is a fishing harbour, sets of wooden beads, toothpicks and some paper made up the start of the drift net. Still looking for some realistic netting but I'm sure some will turn up

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:21 am

I've got a couple of G loco's, but they will be going back onto ebay, for now I have a replacement HGLW wooden kit coming along that will turn up everynow and then
This went together really well, added some details and accidentally sprayed spray mount on the back, but when spray painted over with enamel it looked like heavy rust ! A few card bits like the engine deck lid, a replacement grill and a toolbox with some brass handles. Also have a batch of watch winders for £5 on the way from a latvian etsy seller, so it will have a radiator cap. In fact everything will have one of those :)
Image Image
The drive and chassis have now arrived with a flat wagon and will post details of those when its assembled.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:30 am

Onto the critters !!

I had this guy that was a driver on the mainline, but he wanted to transfer to a fishery, so that meant he was wearing the wrong clothing...

So far I've just extended his coat with some putty and given a wash of white, but he'll be getting some welly boots (yellow of course). At the moment he is riding around on a BEC chassis and a quick card knock up until the sidelines pepper7 trolley arrives. Of course it is now tempting to buy another BEC and carry on with this as well. Shall have to see how the electricals come along. It was originally a single controller setup. But I have a morley dual controller so the front of the line will be able to be dual operated. Also going to get this great turntable as well so they can whip the trolleys around in front of the warehouse when its built.Image

The handle for the driver was from one of her indoors hat pins. I was asked if she was getting it back, the trick was saying yes, but not specifying the time period ;)

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:39 am

The track is down as well, great tip I read on here as well to use drawing pins which greatly speeded up things to work out where it should go. At the main exchange end, I want to fill in the track to make it all look like it is buried in the ground. So I've gone for a normal turnout as its slightly smaller than the 0016 ones, however I got an insulfrog instead of an electrofrog, any recommendations as to how that works with these small bogies travelling slowly over them? Or should I just order up an electrofrog instead?

At the other end, you can see where the turntable will go, one of these www.kitwoodhillmodels.com/on30-turntables/
the warehouse is also going to get an opening door kit from them as well

I expect most people know about this trick, but I fitted a small piece of track with a diode in at the end of each line. So I dont have to worry about driving off the end. It just stops, but the diode allows everything to reverse. That makes me smile every time I use it !

I've also got a few tortoise slow motion switches in that will go under each point and the signal and doors when made. I'm glad now it was all made on a harbour as these things are huge !

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:47 am

One last update!

Couldn't resist taking one of the sheds down to hastings to compare it against the real thing for a scale comparison (also thats where all the shingle for the river came from)

I'm not sure at the moment to carry on with the "tide is out" look or a water covering. Although I do quite fancy building a perspex front container and sealing everything and actually filling it with water. A small pump perhaps and I can have the tide actually coming in and out. Before that though the work to be done is to install point controls, switches on the relevant turnouts and adding a switch or two so that the controllers can run on one for the entire layout as it does now, and dual simultaneous running with two. Ballast, more ground cover, working out where to fit in a tree, perhaps some more of these fantastic streetlamps, kitting out the shed (needs stilts too) and some work on the backdrop.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:34 am

Going to be a lively little place.
Great thing about G scale is how useful so many household and found items suddenly become.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:26 am

adamc wrote:however I got an insulfrog instead of an electrofrog, any recommendations as to how that works with these small bogies travelling slowly over them? Or should I just order up an electrofrog instead?

I've just done the same on a little layout for our shop window... picked a point out of a spares box and after laying found out it was insulfrog! Really silly... not even sure when and where I bought it.

However they are not nearly as bad as they used to be... the insulated part is so small that i've not had a problem with my Tenshodo Spud powered sidelines wasp.
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:38 am

I have used diodes to run an auto train reversal setup for years, works for any gauge, even LGB G gauge. Gaugemaster make an electronic unit to reverse power on timer, but there are cheaper versions also available.
As for insulfrog, I prefer them for OO track as insulated section is so short on Peco points, but for homemade track(including my own 3D printed tram track), live frog is easier for simple layouts.
Where are those huts at Hastings, not something I have seen before, or certainly noticed when I used to live down south.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Adam,

This is great layout, full of character.

Recently I have been thinking about building another GN15 layout. It is the ability to add details like individual 'apples' that really appeals to me.

Can you give us some dimensions of the layout please?
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Also postmaster for The Gower Islands Postal Service.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks simon and Martin, looks like I will give this insulfrog a chance to redeem itself at the weekend.

Kevin, thought you asked about the dimensions of the apples for a moment!
Sizewise it is about 4'x2' , will have a measure later, it's going to sit on top of a workstation , but I think it was just a standard size.

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:28 pm

Brilliant layout and a cracking pace you're setting, might even stir me out of my own inaction :D

Look forward to developments.

Simon
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:34 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:Where are those huts at Hastings, not something I have seen before, or certainly noticed when I used to live down south.

They are at the east end of the town where the boats are dragged up onto the beaches.

Folklore has it that they are tall so that the nets can hang up in one go, but you can see that they are in fact several floors. The height was I believe due to the constraint of the area allocated to each fisherman.

There is also of course a minature railway, several points and a traverser.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:21 pm

adamc wrote:
rue_d_etropal wrote:Where are those huts at Hastings, not something I have seen before, or certainly noticed when I used to live down south.

They are at the east end of the town where the boats are dragged up onto the beaches.

Folklore has it that they are tall so that the nets can hang up in one go, but you can see that they are in fact several floors. The height was I believe due to the constraint of the area allocated to each fisherman.

There is also of course a minature railway, several points and a traverser.

Here's the thread relating to the Hastings railway:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=1689
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Return to “Modelling Matters”