Bullers Quay

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:51 pm

adamc wrote:Thanks simon and Martin, looks like I will give this insulfrog a chance to redeem itself at the weekend.

It's worth just testing it to see if it will suit you. As Simon says it's useful for isolation and the insulated part of the frog is small... so small that I didn't notice the point I laid was an insulfrog until I came to wire it!

Shame Peco's G45 points are not similar as they only give you an insulfrog option!
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: GN15 G-Scale and 009

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:36 pm

not able to test the turnout as the watch winders arrived !
a couple more suitable caps to go on things and about 20 spares ..

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:54 pm

In addition the Mac Moulding supplies arrived, a couple of chem barrels an outboard and a flock of seagulls, insert appropriate band joke..
Seagulls are great, but sadly I'm looking for about 2 dozen more at least. Although there is no chip shop on the Quay, there will need to be a lot more. Its pricey amassing many of these so will be looking to alternate methods to increase the numbers or alternate suppliers. There is also a small crane off shot and some ladders for the quayside, which I forgot to measure as the Quay is pretty high. So might be making a ladder or two.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:15 am

Quick stand for the "johnson" outboard , will need more space at this rate.
Image.
Also making a trolley and on the prowl for some wheels and cheap diamond plate, although might just buy a sheet of plasticard.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:48 am

Just could not resist painting the chem barrels before bed !!

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:13 pm

Adam,

Cheap diamond plate can be found in the supermarket.

Some items such as doughnuts in the Tesco bakery come in clear plastic boxes. If you have a bit of a browse and look at the underside of the box, you will find that some have a section that makes very acceptable diamond plate.

This is a very good excuse for buying a few cream cakes. :D
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Also postmaster for The Gower Islands Postal Service.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:44 pm

It depends what you want to use diamond plate for, if it's for a loco footplate I've always used the polypropylene strapping from packaging.
Have a quantity that is 11mm wide in black that I would be happy to send.
This strapping is available in upto 60mm widths though you will be fortunate to find the wider strapping.
Scale is right, requires CA to fix it.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:14 pm

Adam, you say that you need more seagulls. The ones you have found are not a patch on Tracey's models:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=2722
Unfortunately no longer available BUT if you want to make your own here's how:
http://miniatures.about.com/od/makemini ... gull_2.htm
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:35 pm

Mmmmm, doughnuts :)
thanks for that, will be having a look. Been waiting for a package to arrive in tape for ages so that could be easier and tastier.

I've seen that ladies birdies , pretty amazing but also quite expensive. Worse I have also seen and tried that tutorial on gulls. Lets say that Bullers Quay might well be dumping radioactive sewage as the attempts so far of mine look like fat mutant gull crossed with a seal. Sealgulls, not seagulls :)

However, outlet pipe and grille now going into the dockside !

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:03 pm

Adam,

This photo from Flickr give a step by step guide to making birds the Pendon way. If they can do it in 1/76, it should work in 1/24

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45131642@ ... 50295@N04/
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Also postmaster for The Gower Islands Postal Service.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:03 am

went to the braintree model show today, got some wire and going to try this method :) results may not be posted

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:05 am

Just added a wire fence and a gate

also bought some expanded wire at B&Q so the next fence is to be a chain link fence , but there will also be a wooden picket fence going in as well somewhere.[/img]

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:23 pm

That shed is going to be next, looking highly likely black clapperboard with a pitched roof and a small verandah on the side. Porthole window on the front should look suitably quayside. Also going to get another electrofrog as the insulfrog certainly seems to a slight nuisance compared to the others, not helped either as it's at the end of the siding and everything runs slow over that.

The yard at the left is going to concreted over, love the look of the rails semi-buried when that is done. Wiring seems to work so far and supports dual running. Once all the scenery is finished then the track is going to be fixed and the scenics started.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:44 pm

Well the insulfrog is going to GO ! :D

Of all the points, at low speed that's the only one where I see a stall. That's using a tenshodo spud and a Bec. Have to say in its defence I haven't loaded either up with much weight or that they have had a decent run in.
At slightly higher speeds it's fine as well as when going straight rather than turning. But for the cost of about £8 it's being swapped out.

Should see the left section laid out this weekend with one layer of 2mm card to raise the entire area to the top of the sleeper levels and fitting the first tortoise point.

Will replace the large shed as well with a bacon stall, Freescale version and then see about trying to keep the area clear other than for storing fruit and fish. :) also made a chain link fence to segregate the back a bit.

Can't decide now whether to lay a second layer of cardboard to raise everything to rail height and either Tarmac or concrete the area, or try something like slate, concrete slabs, tiles or cobbles and grass the rest. Seeing as it is quayside I think the entire area concrete is best.

Would it be best to lay 2mm card to raise to rail height and then paint, or use filler to get that last 2mm ?

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:06 pm

To improve running, especially for smaller locos, put some graphite on the rail, a simple carpenter's pencil works a treat. Even some put on the plastic frog helps. I have not had problems with modern Peco insulfrog points. Older ones do have even more plastic to jump, but even then running the graphite pencil along it helps.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:11 pm

Simon, thanks for that , I will certainly be adding that as well. To be honest both also need a good running in session, but I will need to make a circle up for that. Two pieces of flex should sort that this weekend.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:50 am

Well the graphite did help, but I've now put the electrofrog in and the insulfrog can go onto the pier that is being sub-contracted out. I just couldn't work out if was just slightly stuttering ever so slightly. Might be one of those things that once you convince yourself you can't shake.

Electrically it still all operates as before, but I think I have to sit down and really work out the wiring. At present its just using the single controller, but I want to run two controllers so the front line can be run idependant of the back line.

The line is going to be nailed down that end this weekend and the card laid and the concrete work started. So might just have to drop lots of wire and work it out later :)

Concrete tips picked up from many useful threads here. I've got fine N gauge ballast, polyfilla, geeso, grey acrylic ink, black acryclic , spreaders and a test piece done.
Interestingly it looked a bit matt and I brushed it with a spark plug wire brush (wasted purchase to distress wood and far too soft) and it put a patina shine onto the surface. Bit hard to make out in the pic, but sort of like like that well worn smooth concrete finish you find on well walked surfaces. Burnished is the word I was looking for :)
was a bit too bright, so dry brushed with some white and matt varnish and it toned down a bit, still can burnish with the copper brush so will save that for the entire panel. Also needs more filler as it looks far too rough,

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:42 pm

Second attempt at concrete was better. enough to decide to do one section now in it. However the grounded railcar had to go as it was too large and dominated the area. A rectangular post-it note seemed a better size and the cafe has now being put up. Not yet finished as I'm experimenting with inks and some newly bought colours. Also considering the overwhelming standards on here, I thought I at least need to have the interior decked out, so will be looking to work on the interior pieces like a hot plate, (with bacon and eggs), tea urn, cash register , drinks and sauce bottles etc. At least it means the drivers now have somewhere to go for lunch, and the owner makes some better money than just moving fish boxes.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:37 am

that building looks nice.
On the subject of points, I have found that layouts with live frogs(handbuilt or bought) tend to have more problems than those built with insulated frogs. All kinds of things have an effect, one being temperature in exhibition halls. Also have found that when things do go wrong no-one has a clue as to how the wiring works.
My preferred method is to use modified insulated frog Peco points. I wire them up so both tracks are live, in a similar way to way DCC people do, just by soldering wire from rail to rail. Then I create insulated sections around the points and have toggle switches for each break, positioned on a drawing of track layout. This means I not only am not dependent on point blades to make proper contact, but I can isolate any part of layout. Simple but effective.
This is how I built my APA Gn15 modules and ran one with 2 trains at RAMMA last year.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Roger Jenner
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, Narrow gauge railways

Postby Roger Jenner » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:29 pm

WOW..

That is impressive..

a 1/4 pounder for £2 !!! :lol:

Oh no, my mistake, :oops:

obviously 'everything' has been scaled down.

Great modelling.
Roger

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:45 pm

Roger Jenner wrote:a 1/4 pounder for £2 !!! :lol:

When I put the prices on the menu, I thought, hang on, this is my cafe (sort of) so if I found a cafe, on a quayside, next to a working narrow gauge railway in a quaint fishing village, AND the bacon baps are only £1 , pure heaven :)

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:07 am

hi simon, yes I get that,I'm still working out how to get twin running. electrofrogs really do confuse things. So I've got plenty of insulators in , just in case.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:28 am

concrete time !

Well I have loads of test pieces, but kinda forget which ones were done in which order, oops..

final result , possibly, was cheap Diall B&Q surface filler mixed with B76 woodland fine cinders ( i seem to have hoarded a ton of it) and then sanded down. Then a weak wash of daler/rowney acrylic ink and water, then gray acrylic ink , then a sand, then a 30/70 wash of gesso and water to lighten it up, then a sand, then a darker greyink wash

looks a lot better than the photo! Will get some pics in daylight with a camera that has a macro. Looks concrety for sure though, so pretty happy and the rest of the site to be done next. Just working out were to put expansion strips/cracks

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Concrete going down really well now and electrofrog wiring sorted :)

But the flawless running now marred by the sawdust and plaster and what have you that's gone everywhere !

Using vigorous cardboard rubbing to clean and bevels , but even though I saw someone use a sander block, reticent to use a rubber track cleaner. IPA in small quantity would be good, but maplins only sell it in a £10 can, any other diy source for it?

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Chemists are too dear for IPA because they consider it a medical product. Try the big box hardware DIY stores. Usually found around the concrete cleaners, turps, meths, etc. Another trick to get good conductivity is to rub a pencil along the tops of the rails to deposit some graphite.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Return to “Modelling Matters”