Bullers Quay

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: GN15 G-Scale and 009

Postby adamc » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:34 am

Sidelines order arrived today :)

should have plenty of painting and assembly ahead now! Also a roof for the gnat as well.

Now to add kadee couplers to everything and work out where to put the magnets.

Simon Hargraves
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15,1/32n16.5,0-14,009,Nm...nuff said?

Postby Simon Hargraves » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:54 am

Looks like you have a pretty decent fleet of wagons there!
With the Kadees fitted and the variety you've got there will be plenty of scope for shunting........enjoy!
Simon.
Simon H

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Well that little lot ought to keep you busy for a while building and painting!

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:42 am

well before that happens, the kithill parts came as well !

http://www.kitwoodhillmodels.com/brands/On30.html

I've got a pair of doors, with nice detailed hinges that work.

went together really nicely, laser cut and although fiddly, better than I could have done with the coffee sticks :)

Also they luckily fitted the gap I had left for them !

next up is the turn table kit , then back to working on the speed controller, points servos and doors to open on command..

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:00 am

Nice doors for a great price. Those would make single people doors for 1:24 scale stuff. :D
Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:40 am

I seem to remember seeing something about this manufacturer here and in the press, in particular the turntables. UK manufacturer so easy to get hold of, but can't find an address on the website, which I believe is a legal requirement these days for businesses.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Yes technically I think all EU traders need to comply with that. Although sites like this and others selling parts as to what might be a part time business probably don't conform to all the legal requirements. My opinion is that if they are accepting paypal then it's covered by paypals refund policy.

My dealings with kit hill I have to say were exemplary, I had instant feedback and emails at every step of the payment, packing and delivery process. Plus it all came through pretty quick and needless to say that the turntable looks exquisite, I will post details on it once built and it's running.

I think the problem would be more of an issue when you have to send a cheque, even though you would know where they live, it would be harder to exact a refund!

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:24 pm

Actually I've just seen from his site that he is closed for August for holidays and making new designs and retaking orders in September. Otherwise I'd probably have ordered another :)

Longvallon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15: Love it or leave it !

Postby Longvallon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:29 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:but can't find an address on the website, which I believe is a legal requirement these days for businesses.

Got it ! Just scroll down this page:

http://www.kitwoodhillmodels.com/terms-conditions/

"16.Company détails:
Kitwood Hill Models is the trading name of Smokey Creek Models. Registered address: 59 Highfield Avenue, Aldershot, Hants, UK. GU11 3DA. Registered UK company 7691276."
Chris
I'm free to do what I want anytime !

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:30 pm

There you go then, proper :)

I'm certainly going to suggest something to him , would like to see a laser cut rolling door kit, even just general door kits etc. it's just very crisp when it very thin wood that makes it so more realistic

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:11 pm

I expect to be corrected on this, but I think the doors are hung incorrectly or the design is incorrect with the bracing? Looking on Flickr for doors shows up that most large wooden doors are braced from the top outside edge to the middle hinge side and again from the middle outside edge to the bottom hinge side. (So both braces are going in the same direction to take the weight of the door under compression.)
I thought there was a discussion on here not long ago about gates that included this information but I couldn't find it with a quick search. Nice kit at the right price though - I would be interested in seeing how the hinges are assembled and work.
Quick edit - my website no longer contains my street address as I actively discourage customers from coming to my house to see the range of material I sell. Not sure if that is entirely legal under Australian law, but if anyone asks me for a visit, I nearly always grant them the privilege anyway. This was done mainly because I am not a retail store, partly because of insurance risk with steep driveways etc, and potential complaints from neighbours as parking is severely restricted at the end of a cul-de-sac with eight driveways off the end of it! However, having a physical address on your website does make you seem more legitimate somehow so I might go back to having it on there - buried of course just so I don't get too many potential thieves casing the place while I am out of the house.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:36 am

:) yes, I was unsure of the doors and remember something similar about bracing, but i went this time with the instructions. I guess a quick flickr check of "wood doors" would provide an answer.

However in this case the construction of the doors was left to the apprentice at the quay, and the foreman known for his predilection of a long lunch down at the Bullers Arms sadly bumped into an old flame of his who was down from london for the weekend, and before long the two of them were necking back 3 bottles of wine. He then disappeared for two days and when he got back on monday the doors had been hung wrong! To cover up his escapade he decided to ignore the fact and told everyone he had them hung that way as they reminded him of the Union Jack when he was in the merchant navy (not the union flag on a boat).

Phew...

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:42 am

Cracking on with the turntable, have to say there was a lot of parts in it, all laid out here and well finished.

It went together pretty well, had to actaully look at the instructions a couple of times to get the gears in the right position and order but all worked out well. Quite fancied the open look, but on a quay, I am sure it would have filled up pretty quickly with sand and fish heads, so the the covers went on along with the planking. It is all manual at the moment , so need to work out how to integrate the polarity switching with a relay and the arduino etc. Plus some flares probably on the track to help alignment.

Now need to cut the hole and install and it has to have a little height packing I understand to ride level with on16 rail sleepers, but will add a little extra at the end of the line and allow some of the locos to run both ways.

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:48 am

Greenhouse Sidings had a lot of discussion about bracing on gates.
These seem to have bracing both ways! I think normally a door with a bar across the middle would look like a zig zag on the back rather than an arrow
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:45 am

should have looked further for company address. Still would have expected it on contact pages, which is where most people would look first.
As for which way doors should be hung, I have lived in property where doors have been adapted from other buildings. Usually a case of what fits best. Also people sometimes fit things wrong way round. So there is an excuse either way.
I am tempted by one of those turntables 8)
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:27 am

latest addition to the loco stock arrived this weekend, a powered bachmann bogie. I'm entertaining either a simplex style caravan, another power trolley or even the possibility of a wickham style trolley that I've been doodling.

Seems to run OK, given a bit of a run in and seems to be fine even without any weight on it. Not sure what to do about servicing other, picked out some fluff and might oil/grease the gears if I can find something suitable?

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 modeler

Postby Bob Roegge » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:12 pm

The Bachmann bogie is an excellent choice. I have several critters powered by that bogie. At $15 US it is a great buy. I have weighted mine quite a bit and they run great after a short break in. I have run them for 8 continuous hours at several shows. At the last show I ran two continuously for two days. I had speed set at the absolute minimum and found that the commutators got quite blackened. I have not experienced that prevoiusly so assume it was due to the arching at a start up speed.

My maintenance has been to periodically remove the 4 top screws and take out the motor. I clean the commutator with a electric contact cleaner. Clean wheels and reassemble.

I have had one motor go bad but they are available from Bachmann parts on line.
Bob

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Do you have a link for the bogie at that price? I need a couple. :)

edited to add... I found the old 4wd diesel motor truck on Bachmann's site. Got two for $20 plus shipping. Thanks for the idea!
Ken

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:56 pm

I just purchased two more two weeks ago. I found them at........

Estore.bachmanntrains.com

They are the power trucks for the GE44 ton HO engine. Be sure to order old style. Pictures will clearly show. The old style engine had two motorized power trucks. The new style has a central motor with drive shafts to no-powered trucks.

Super choice for small critters. See my post - new engines for some pics and ideas.
Bob

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Bob Roegge » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Sorry.....the post was titled "New Critters".

Search by author......."Bob Roegge".
Bob

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:00 pm

The PCC or Brill tram/trolley car bogie is a good alternative to the old Ge44 bogie, Could not see the old Ge44 bogie listed
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_176&products_id=1222.
Not sure how much postage and customs(?) would add to cost for us in UK though.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks guys, sorry to derail :D this thread. These are the ones I ordered, should work for my needs.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_91&products_id=4398

Ken

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:06 pm

Longvallon wrote:I like the backdrop. Could you explain how you make it?

Pretty sure it was this free one

http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/backscenes.html

Longvallon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15: Love it or leave it !

Postby Longvallon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks. :D
Chris

I'm free to do what I want anytime !

David at Waters Edge
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow gauge railway modelling, mainly in On16.5 but recently am interested in Gn15.

Thank you from a newbie

Postby David at Waters Edge » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:42 pm

I have learned a few things from this thread for which i would like to thank the contributors. First, I have for some time been looking for a small turntable for my 7mm NG layout and you have shown one. I was able to order one before the August close-down. Second, I was intrigued by the use of graphite to ensure electrical contact. I have used graphite as a lubricant, so is there no adhesion problem when using it? On a final point, why is it that the bigger the scale, the smaller the layout?
David Smith
It's my railway so I'll run what I want.

Return to “Modelling Matters”