Bullers Quay

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: GN15 G-Scale and 009

Postby adamc » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Youtube certainly has gone all privacy orientated, also realised that background TV is a bit off putting. The last one is of the smaller two wheel drive BEC.

Also quite correct about ballast as well, not strictly an even test.

Also to note is that the bachmann is never quite 100% in starting off and sometimes needs some divine intervention. I'm going to tackle the wheel cleaning with some more IPA and hopefully get the scales out.

Plus a pic or two coming showing them without bodywork

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:35 am

A pic of all 4 lined up. I also weighed a DMU153 00/HO that I have and that came in around the 360g mark, whilst the tenshodo with the gnat body was only around the 90g mark. So that means the DMU should have about 180g or twice the weight over each bogie. It certainly has a more solid feel as it starts which I am sure alleviates the tendency for these to jack rabbit off the line. So the quest this weekend is to source plenty of lead !

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:15 am

would also be interesting to see comparison tests for the other motor bogies such as the Black Beetle, as well as Bachmann tram chassis, both the On30 and the HO ones, and the Bachmann trackster chassis used in the bus. The Bachmann ones are complete ones with built in weight, so should have been designed to use without modification.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Ah sadly the budget hasnt got to one of those yet.

However a wheel cleaning excercise is underway , the bachmann bogie still looks a little dirty. So I invested in a trix wheel cleaner, clever bit of kit. Basically wire brush bristles in a stand that you sit on the track. The loco goes on top and you hold it in place while applying power. Its as if its going along on wire brush rails. Before during and after pics, really cleaned them up nice and shiny, plus a little IPA to move the gunk.

before
On the trix wheel cleaner
after, nice and clean!

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:31 pm

The lead arrived, had to make do with some from a leaded light shop, does the job.
Pretty much got as much as I could in and it certainly runs nicer now. Doesnt jerk when pulling away and you can feel the bite point as it were when it starts.

http://youtu.be/7hy_QtiQwh8

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Re: Bullers Quay

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:43 pm

It's been a while and Bullers was a hoot, but now fancy a change. So the plan is to have a new layout, probably about 12' x 2' with a station at one end with a passing loop and the other a quayside. Sort of timesaver one side, and Inglenook the other with a 3 lane fiddle yard in the middle under a hill. In front a large incline from the station end. Tested so far a 4" climb over 4 feet seems to be manageable for a single loco and will probably scratch build a 4 wheel DMU/Railcar.

Mocked up the station layout to get a handle on the wiring needed and spacing. Already quite fun but the passing loop needs a little more length as well adjustment of the kadee magnet couplers.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:10 am

new speeder !

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:11 am

trying to find some 0 gauge axel boxes I bought and make some hand controls then the paint

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:58 pm

That is cute. What powers it. The O-gauge axle boxes are a great idea. Where did you buy them?
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:03 pm

thanks, that one is powered by a BEC 2wd chassis, its more than capable for the job and quite sturdy. Axle boxes if I can ever find them were just bought at a show , but so far elude capture.

I've also been looking at other HAWE type trucks and particularly liked the Herman wooning HAWE on http://www.nmld.nl/nl/object/1365

I've got this far and its powered by the tenshodo spud, its very low and I've avoided the slab sides this time and gone for the girder and wood look of the original. Driver faces the flatbed and holds on to the T-Bar. Funnily enough I am trying to balance the weight of the driver with lead slung underneath where the battery box at the front lives. Trying to find some more scraps to fashion the wheel blocks again for this before I put some paint and weather onto it.
hawe truck.jpg
hawe truck.jpg (108.29 KiB) Viewed 3765 times

right.jpg
right.jpg (90.05 KiB) Viewed 3765 times

loaded.jpg
loaded.jpg (96.95 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Last edited by adamc on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:09 pm

It's a bit closer to these in fact
http://www.nmld.nl/nl/object/1233
or this one with the wooden bed http://www.nmld.nl/nl/object/2258

the new layout is going to have some greenhouses , ostensibly for tomato's but these do come from Holland

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:23 pm

going to attempt to clay mould a figure and then cast them, so far only a resemblance to terminator !

20150629_210734.jpg
20150629_210734.jpg (82.28 KiB) Viewed 3703 times

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:23 am

quick paint update
1st a quick paint over
pre-paint.jpg
pre-paint.jpg (98.89 KiB) Viewed 3314 times

then some ink wash, a bit of weather powder and a matt varnish
wash.jpg
wash.jpg (73.35 KiB) Viewed 3314 times

then add driver and shunt!
add-driver.jpg
add-driver.jpg (62.73 KiB) Viewed 3314 times

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:44 pm

Just block painted the Hank motor and will need to finish the chassis and repaint the red buffers, not keen with that. XF-79 tamiya linoleum brown with a very weak black ink wash for the wood.

speeder.jpg
speeder.jpg (94.65 KiB) Viewed 3192 times

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:31 am

Bravo! :D
Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:08 pm

Very cool! I really like your home built guys! Have you ever cast them too?
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:06 am

Ah, the figures are not mine I have to say. I'm still at the wire armature stage and nothing has yet looked remotely human!

The figures are all from http://www.modeltown.co.uk/ the chap in the white coat was http://www.modeltown.co.uk/shopping/sit ... en-1368089 with the addition of boots and coat extended with filler putty.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:29 pm

Tamiya linoleum brown, going to have to remember that color.
Black radiator is a nice touch.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:58 am

More figures arrived, think I might have to revisit the idea of making a layout again. For some obscure reason I'm wanting to motorise the coppers head...

Img_1164.jpg
Img_1164.jpg (182.68 KiB) Viewed 2913 times

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:21 am

I like the motorize idea. I want to try animating a driver sometime.
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:47 pm

adamc wrote:For some obscure reason I'm wanting to motorise the coppers head...
Hmm, what could someone, maybe the railway?, be doing that he would be standing there shaking his head at?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby adamc » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:40 am

train spotter !!

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:16 pm

:lol: Now that you mention train spotters, an idea pops in for a great little scene with 2 or 3 custom figures: they would be equipped with both still and movie cameras; a stack of reference books and notebooks; a tape measure, maybe even in use,
Would be interesting to see how people react to such a scene if/when layout is at an exhibition.
Visitor, "Are you mocking railways hobbyists?"
Me, "Do I look like some kind of railway hobbyist?" as I tinker with some obscure arcane mechanism under my layout.
I love the model railway hobby :D

Return to “Modelling Matters”