Emett inspired mallet "Pushmepullyou"

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Emett inspired mallet "Pushmepullyou"

Postby Mark Goodwin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Fellow Gn15 enthusiasts,

I have been thinking about doing a conversion from a Rivarossi DR C747 0-4-4-0 mallet into an Emett inspired mallet for the MG & FT LR. I managed to secure one on ebay a few days ago at a reasonable price. Pending its arrival from the USA to Canada, I have been researching the feasibility of such a venture. I will call the engine the "Pushemepullyou" from the two headed Llama from the Dr. Dolittle film. Once you see the cylinder arrangement you will understand why.

Here's what the Riviarossi model looks like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321455553040?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

If I use the body of a basis for the new body, I think it will work. I will have to extend the buffer beam at the cab end for the new larger GN15 cab, but don't see this as being too much of a problem.

Well, here's hoping for a safe arrival via the postal services. More as the project develops. This is one that has been brewing for several months and has been delayed until a suitable donor loco could be sourced. This has now been achieved.............
Enjoy,
Kind regards,
Mark

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:37 am

Hey, alright. "Will watch this topic for replies" to keep track of how she goes.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:45 am

Looks like a good buy Mark...it'll be interesting to see how this turns out...

Trevor.
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:01 am

I have one of those locos for possible Mallet conversion(reversing one bogie). The only odd thing with chassis is that the motor is in cab and drives to front bogie, by universal link. There is also a link back to rear bogie.
If I do my conversion I will have to reverse wheels as power is picked up on different sides for each bogie, and also lose the universal link between the bogies.
It is worth while looking round for these locos, as there seem to be quite a few on sale at the moment.
Being Rivarossi, everything is screwed together, making conversion a bit easier, and you can take things apart to test if they are suitable.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Fellow GN 15 modellers,

Here is the progress so far on the project.

The rough sketch of what the engine will eventually look like:

This view shows the work so far on the chassis. The buffer beams have been extended to give some space for the cab and boiler. The Rivarossi mallet is quite a small engine. The body has been modified and is shown in position on the chassis. The buffer beams and cab side panel are "Smallbrook" castings from Mike Rayner. They are required to give a similar look as the rest of the MG &FT fleet.

This view shows the chassis without the body and gives a better view of the extensions for the buffer beams. The rear extension will be largely concealed by the cab and coal bunker..

I've decided to re-name the engine "Fenton" after the famous engineer, Roger Fenton. It has nothing to do with the following "Youtube" clip taken in Richmond park where a border colley has taken up deer herding, much to the alarm of his owner....................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

I just thought the name "Fenton" was funny........:)
Keep modelling and have fun,
Mark

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:34 pm

Correction, Roger Fenton was a photographer, not an engineer.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:08 pm

that gives me an idea, I wanted to modify my chassis into a more recognizable Mallet with cylinders both at front. As its old Rivarossi technology, everything unscrews, and I wanted to reverse one of the bogies. This would result in losing drive connection to that bogie, but I think it will still be powerful enough. Wheels would also have to reversed, as pickup is only on one side of each bogie.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:01 pm

just move the cylinders, not the mechanism Simon. Put a styrene extension onto the front of the bogie and fix the cylinders to that.

Daniel Caso and myself are abusing a couple of these over on NGRM and he's worked out how to extend the axles for outside frames (his will be a 1/32 decauville mallet, and mine will be a 1/43.5 Bagnall Articulated like Monarch, so he'll need to make one bogie outside framed and reverse the cylinders on the other, whilst I need both outside framed, then cut the chassis and space the bogies further apart).

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:33 pm

that is a possibility. It will be a while before I need to convert it, as I have so many projects in the pipeline. I will need to check which wheels can take the connecting rods to cylinders. I think I might have looked already, but it was earlier this year. The motor is also a challenge to fit in loco I plan which is the original Decauville Mallet in 1/35th scale.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:57 am

Dear fellow GN15 modellers.

Here's the latest progress report.

Ignore the cab slope in the photo below. Some more work is required before final fitting, together with the tender. The bodywork is nearing completion, just some more details required.

Ooooohhh those close-ups can be soooooo cruel. I'm not re-rivetting the tanks. They were inspired by a recent colour photo of a Decauville tank loco recently published in the GN15 forum.

Blurred close-up for camera entusiasts.

Final note; the buffer beams, cab spectacle plate and other resin parts are Mike Rayner's Smallbrook studio "Emett" range.

That's all for now,
Mark

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Dear fellow GN15 modellers,

Work on the "Emettesque" mallet for the MG & FT has progressed with the fitting of the spectacle plate, coal bunker, chimney, tank filler caps and dome.

I decided that the way the cylinders are arranged, sort of opposite rather than in line, that the original name of "Pushmepullyou" should stand. I've put in an order for some nameplates with Narrow Planet (5mm high).

I'm waiting on an order for some detailing parts from the UK before completion. The next task will be the making of the back head and cab details, followed by the fitting of the roof.

Cheers,
Mark

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:29 am

Thats looking interesting Mark. I am looking forward to see it (her?) finished.

One of these days we'll have a grand meet of Gn15 stuff in BC (as most of my stock is there! )

Cheers

Trev.
Trevor

Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:57 am

Found the link to the Decauville locomotive that inspired the tank shape.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... uville.JPG

The medication must be failing as the tanks had round bottoms and flat tops.

Ho hum, never mind.
Mark

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:26 am

Your model is still beautiful. :)
Ken

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:45 am

Thanks Ken,

.....and I went to the hobbyshop today and brought some "Tichy Trains" 0.80 conical rivets..........and I've re-rivetted the front of the tanks to make them look even. I've added some detail to complete the full "Emettesque" treatment and I'll post some more pictures soon. I'm currently working on the back head detailing as, although these engines are the work of imagination, they must appear to be capable of movement like the real thing.
Kind regards,
Mark :shock: :D

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:09 am

Latest update

The front of the tanks have been improved and decorative detail.

Kind regards,
Mark

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:31 pm

That is just cool! Nice work!

I really like the conical rivets. Many of the pressure vessels (around here) from long ago are riveted that way.
Ken

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:01 pm

That is going be an impressive model when it is finished.
There is something looking remarkably similar living at the Statfold Barn Railway just outside Tamworth. OK it is 2 foot gauge and not articulated but it is such an attractive machine.

I don't fancy making a model of the indirect drive and Brown's valve gear though!
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:59 am

Hi Steve,

That one's a real beauty - the shade of green looks very much like the colour I plan to use for the "Pushmepullyou". It's called "greenskin" and is from the 'Army Painter' aerosol primer ranges. I'm keeping the original Rivarossi red wheels and chassis colours

The indirect drive Brown's valve gear would be difficult. I also like the smoke box door hinge and the shape of the water tanks. Thanks for your comments and sharing the photo.
Kind regards,
Mark

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:12 pm

Dear fellow GN15 modellers,

Here are some photographs at the base coat/shading stage. Some washes, a little bit more details and a coat of varnish remain outstanding. I also have to complete the wood cladding on the boiler and fit nameplates.

You will notice that I have replaced the conical rivets at the front of the tanks.

Here's a close up showing the front tank detail and the new smoke box door from a Hornby A3 Gresley pacific. I like the profile for this larger type of engine. I have beefed up the hinges and replaced the door handle with a 7mm scale turned brass example.

Have fun and let's keep this wonderful site active.
Regards,
Mark

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:05 am

Lovely work as usual!
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

marter1229
'boxer
'boxer

Postby marter1229 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:05 am

That is a great looking little loco. thanks for sharing.
Terry
CDA, Idaho

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:50 pm

What a wonderful little machine! Thanks for the updates! :D
Ken

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Lovely work. The loco is full of character.

Simon.

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G and Gn15.

Postby Chris18 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:49 pm

Wonderful loco ! I really like it.
Last edited by Chris18 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
All we are is dust in the wind...
Chris

My favorite place in the world:
http://www.bellevue-cottage.com/en/index.html

Return to “Modelling Matters”