My first Gn15 layout, the Little Mine

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

My first Gn15 layout, the Little Mine

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:07 pm

I decided to have a lazy day and take a break from the honey-do list. So, I started working on my first Gn15 layout. It will be a simple thing, with a mine portal and a building or two, a battery loco and some sort of ore hauling device.

I found this old restaurant serving tray and decided it was a perfect size for this layout. Some flex track and a switch and I have a start! I discovered that the strings let me bend the track and hold in place while working on the fit. The layout just happened as I fit the track to the tray.

Indy just flew in from China and decided he could guard the operation while it is being built. :D

Of course I had to have a prototype battery loco to check sizes of stuff like the portal. A bit of card stock, the box off of the back of an Ertl Model T delivery truck, a truck from an old HO car and some masking tape made a ride for the Bachmann driver.

Here comes the train out of the portal. :D

This will be dedicated to my friend Mike (Miner Mike) who has been a miner all his life. He had a little mine in the mountains of Colorado years ago. They didn't have any ore cars, so they used flat cars and 5 gallon buckets to haul the ore out of the mine. :lol: I think I will surprise him with a couple of flat cars and tiny 5 gallon buckets (he calls them "pails") as the ore transport for this mine. :lol:
Ken

Longvallon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15: Love it or leave it !

Postby Longvallon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:48 am

Good start there .........I'll be watching this project!
Chris
I'm free to do what I want anytime !

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:54 pm

A tiny bit of progress. This is the first time I've tried to lay flex track and I'm learning I guess. I got the track pieces cut and fitted together and then cut a piece of 1/4" masonite as a base for the layout. It fits just inside the rim of the serving tray. That leaves me a space below the masonite for wiring and controls and such.

The layout has changed a bit. There will be a loco shed where the portal was going to be and the mine will be in a 'mountain' on the right side of the layout. The train will go into and out of the mountain and only be brought to the siding for repairs and storage. Since it will be an electric battery powered loco, there must be a generator shed and battery shed. There's no power at the site other than the generator.

I think the battery shed will be a lean-to on the right side of the loco shed and the generator will be in a building somewhere in the center of the layout.

Removing all those extra ties is a tedious job! Need to hire some track workers. :D
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:56 pm

This stuff is addictive. I couldn't resist starting on the mine and mountain. The foam is in place, ready to trim and finish. I think I'll use some crumpled aluminum and for sure dry wall mud to texture the surface after trimming. Then paint.

The driver climbed up and is now afraid to come down... oh well.

There is room in the mine gallery to put at least one driller working on roof bolts or something.

The back of the mine will have a removable wall I think, so derails can be handled and to see the interior of the mine.
Ken

Longvallon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15: Love it or leave it !

Postby Longvallon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:58 am

Chris

I'm free to do what I want anytime !

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:01 am

Hi Ken,

That's a nice little design with a pleasing bit of quirkiness to the 'oval'. I just love the use of string to hold things in place. :D

Cheers,

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:15 am

looking good. are you planning to use flexi track or lay your on, as curves that sharp need extra care.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:25 am

Thanks guys!

Simon, I'm using flex track. I am going to try to use a wood burning tip on the soldering iron to cut the extra ties away. That way I can pin down the track, glue it and cut away the ties . I'm having a lot of trouble holding the track curves without the strings..

When I get back to working on this and get the track glued down, my plan is...
The miner's cabin will be dug into the hillside between the portals.
Straighten the spur track to the loco shed, which will move it to the left.
That should leave room in the middle for a steam powered generator (using a Wilesco D5 power plant) and shelter shed.
A truck loading jib crane will go in the open area in the front, to load the ore into a Model T dump truck.
Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:44 am

Ken,
I use a simple rail cutting pliers to cut alternative sleepers on my track. For flexi track , I would suggest then removing rail and pre-bending it to near required radius, and re-fitting to sleepers. This will reduce strain on string, in fact hopefully you won't need it.You might not even need to cut alternative sleepers, just separate them, and re-fix at required spacing. This should also cut down on gauge narrowing caused by bending flexi track so much. Best to use good quality flexi track such as Peco, with chairs that don't break so easily.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:16 pm

I got my Bachmann powered trucks today. For $10 each they look like a bargain to me. They have insulated wheels on alternate sides, so the truck picks up track power by itself. They should work for battery powered or track powered critters it looks like. I may need to get a couple more while they have them.
This layout will be track powered so this should work out great.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:48 am

Somewhere I came up with a nasty case of bronchitis, so I took the day easy. I brought the Little Mine into the living room and sat with it for the day.

I've managed to get the rails done, well nearly done. I got the extra ties cut out and glued down the track and soldered all the joints. Still need to clean up and file the solder joints. I used a 'soldering iron' to cut the ties. This little soldering iron has interchangeable tips and one WAS an excto knife! If finally broke though, it just wasn't designed right. Good idea, but... broke. So I used a little 'paddle' that came with the iron to finish the work.

Here's the Exacto version...

I turned over the assembled track oval and proceeded to cut the connections between the ties.

I had to leave the strings attached until I turned the whole thing over and glued it down in places. I did that with hot glue, worked great.

After cutting the connectors, I just grabbed the tie with a pliers and snapped it out.

Here's the layout now. I think the portals will be a simple, single square set. I'll get more fancy on the next one. :)

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:20 pm

Well, I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks. And, I don't feel well, but this made me feel better when it was finished. :D I took a video, figured out how to install a video editor in Linux (new to me also) and then finally got the video edited and uploaded. Let's see if it works... The track is still a bit rough and the ride is jerky yet. I did clean and graphite the track, oh, and the little loco and driver took the 60 foot scale dive off the cliff TWICE in the making of the video. Sigh, no damage or injuries. :lol: The loco is just card stock and tape with a weight on TOP of the motor so it is top heavy. LOL...

http://youtu.be/Rbi1CFJaCtQ

http://youtu.be/Rbi1CFJaCtQ
Last edited by Nevadablue on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: GN15 G-Scale and 009

Postby adamc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:51 pm

I like it, and at that speed, going to get a lot of mining done :)
Bet they are on a productivity bonus !

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:03 am

thanks Adam.

Could someone please show me how to embed a youtube video here? I cannot figure it out.
Ken

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:01 am

I just copy and paste the URL that YouTube allocates to my videos and it seems to work (complete with preview).
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:46 am

Apparently the embed just doesn't work here. Thanks anyway!

So, the guys at the mine found an OLD Mancha Little Trammer that they will renovate for use at their mine. I agreed to help them build it. Here's the patent pic, notice that it is similar, but not the same as the normal Little Trammer. (I like oddities... 8) )

Note the wheels on the battery box. They are also somewhat different from the usual Little Trammer you see. I also found the patent for the battery changing system and a page explaining how it works.

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:10 am

Well, I invoked my unlimited modeling license and changed my mind on the trammer. We designed and built a completely different machine from scratch.
This is the first Wall Wart Underground Trammer. :D

I had this dead wall wart that was asking to become something useful again. The razor saw opened it up and all the innards came out. Then it was sectioned to make it narrower. This became the 'battery case' for the trammer. A bunch of bits of plastic from one of those pill boxes and some ball point pen parts and a large button and we have a trammer!

The red thing is the rear headlight. It can be swiveled front or rear or to any position to use as a work light. The seat is a large fake wooden button for the driver's butt. 8)

The brake wheel is the center section from a spare chrome wheel from a car kit. The throttle control is the pocket clip and a section of ball point pen.

The flat car is made from stir sticks, some wood and a couple of axles from an HO car. It should hold 9 of Miner Mike's 'pails' of ore. :D

This design is made for a single 10 hour shift in the mine. The battery pack housing is extra large so they don't have to swap batteries. Now for final paint, some couplers, weathering and a test run!

Oh, the driver is one of those little Chinese unpainted people. His arms and legs were cut off and he was reformed into a sitting driver. Some glue and the saw dust filled out the necessary places.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:56 am

Some progress today. I got the couplers on the loco and one on the flat car. It looks like a short 'rooster' type of thing will work for connecting the cars to the loco and each other. I also got lead weights installed in the loco and car for stability.

I cheated and made the couplers out of wood instead of steel or iron. Gotta paint the inside of the slots yet. The driver also got his clothes 'refreshed'.

There was nothing to hold the rear light from turning, so I installed an index pin. That will allow it to point forward, rearward or anywhere else and not turn while the loco is moving.

The front coupler. I made them heavy enough to serve as push bars too. Miners will do anything with anything...

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Successful test run this morning. The loco goes round and round. The rooster is too short though, the first curve past the switch is too tight for it and it pulls the car off the tracks. More ballast in the car and loco and a longer rooster to come. 8)
Ken

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:41 pm

If you put the rooster in the middle pocket of the coupling on the loco that will help, too - keep it level.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:30 pm

I find having a flexible connector helps , eg chain. There needs to be some sideway movement, which is also why I prefer continental type couplings to Triang types.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:56 pm

The new longer rooster fixed the flat car derail problem. For some reason that pic above makes the rooster look like it is downhill, but it wasn't.

The Bachmann driver took over operation of the rig. He didn't like the suit in the seat.

:-) My little helper had to check out the layout. She likes to catch moving things.

http://youtu.be/dYjsd39eHmw

Oh, now I must get out my magnifier and files and fix that rough solder joint and inspect the switch. Pretty rough there...
Ken

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:46 am

It is lovely to simply watch a train running in a circle-ish, isn't it? I really need to start thinking about a real layout with enough track to make it interesting. I also sympathize with your tracklaying efforts. My trackwork is horrendous and I'd love to see a good tutorial on methods of bending HO track. Anything would be a help.
I really love the look of your engine, well ... actually everything you're doing!
Chris

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G and Gn15.

Postby Chris18 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:32 am

Maybe you could try this item for your mine:

http://www.lemaxcollection.com/villages ... one-quarry

All we are is dust in the wind...
Chris

My favorite place in the world:
http://www.bellevue-cottage.com/en/index.html

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:44 am

Ken that's great work - I like the loco. I also really like that article and pictures on the battery loco and how the battery part is changed over! Never seen that before!!

Here is our Wingrove & Rogers battery loco with my pal Ben on the drivers hot seat (a plastic crate) down at the Lea Bailey 2 weeks ago.

Cheers
Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

Return to “Modelling Matters”