Bedbug Mine

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Bedbug Mine

Postby Ian-IoM » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:01 pm

‘lo folks,

My aborted estate layout was a bit too big and a bit too generic, so I have reclaimed all the useable bits from it to recycle into a smaller layout (or two…)

I’ve had a notion to make a working wagon tipper so a small mining layout has been set in motion…

… The board is 13 1/5 x 29”, track is Peco O-16.5 reclaimed from the previous layout with a minimum radius of 5”. My Hornby based locos whiz round it without a problem but I imagine couplers will need a bit of experiment. The siding at top left ends at the edge of the board to allow a possible future connection to another module, the one inside the continuous run will be the lower side of the tipper.

High level roughed in with a cat food box…

The idea is for a small mine loco to reverse out of the mine entrance at the rear pulling a V skip, then change direction to push the skip onto the other side of the Y where it tips into a wagon waiting below which is then taken to the top left siding for surreptitious unloading to repeat the process, possibly extending in the future to give a destination for whatever they are mining on a second module.

The layout is being built to fit into a Wilko 62L Storage Box turned upside down with the baseboard attached to the lid…

It’s a convenient size to work on and transport, and for storage it lives under the bed – hence the name :roll:
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:16 pm

I love it! This kind of layout is my favorite. The box is a neat idea too. I have one of my unimats in an upside down storage box like that. Works great.
Ken

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Looks interesting, and I never fail to be amazed at the tight radii possible, but that name makes me want to scratch.... :D

Cheers,

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:24 pm

Love the storage box idea... and the name! We're all itching to see how it progresses!
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Definitely inspirational already. I love the box storage idea! I've been looking for a layout idea for the coming winter and I think you may have given it to me! Looking forward to watching along this one.
Chris

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:32 pm

A note about the box... I mounted a sheet of plywood 'on top' (that is underneath) the lid. The lids on the boxes are normally rounded and not flat. The middle is 'lower' than the rim. So, the plywood not only stiffens the lid, it makes it sit flat without warping when you use it 'upside down'.
Ken

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:14 pm

Thanks all :)

The lid is pretty flat overall but the centre section where the board will go has corrugations running across the box, the ends of the corrugations are just visible in the photo on the post above. I'm going to bolt the board to the lid, it doesn't look like the sort of plastic that will glue very well and I want it to be removable anyway. There is room inside the corrugations for point control rods (I positioned the points to suit), some wiring and stuff will have to go on the top of the board but it can be hidden by the scenery.

Btw the board is hardboard, not the best stuff but I had some kicking about and with a layout this small I can probably get away with it.
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:39 pm

A bit of progress, the track is now stuck down properly and wired up and point controls fitted.

With hill formers in place and some cardboard to mock up the general idea for scenic treatment...

It's a bit of a tight fit, shoehorn mine might have been a better name, but I think it should work. I'm wondering if a slightly whimsical approach to the scenery might be an idea...
Ian K

Be seeing you...

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:51 pm

Does look like it might be a tight fit, but I like the layout of all the elements. Whimsical? What a wonderful idea! 8)
Chris

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G and Gn15.

Postby Chris18 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:17 pm

That looks really nice, looking forward to a report on how it goes.
All we are is dust in the wind...
Chris

My favorite place in the world:
http://www.bellevue-cottage.com/en/index.html

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:22 am

Sort of filled in the ground surface for the hilly bit, lightly constructed to still easy to modify. It may end up a bit more bumpy and rocky, just trying to establish the general shape here:

The brickwork is salvaged from the aborted estate layout, in fact the only thing I have bought for this so far is the box to put it in and some glue. At the back on the left I'm trying to make it look like the track disappears out of sight behind the hill rather than into another tunnel - the layout seems to have ended up with a viewing side and an operating side, not that I'm likely to be doing any exhibitions :?
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:22 pm

‘lo folks,

Pootling on slowly as usual but I’ve got a bit more done…

The brickwork between the two levels is the last off the stuff salvaged from the last layout, it was in sections hence the wooden uprights to hide the joins – I think it helps break up what could be a large expanse of brickwork anyway. There wasn’t quite enough so the wooden bit at the right is some salvaged fencing, again it reduces the brickyness a bit and that is where the tipper will go so it will tie in with a wooden hopper structure.

With the brick in place I raided the cat litter again and ballasted the track, Tesco’s Clumping Cat Litter btw.

At t’other end I decided the steep slope needed to be replaced with a rocky outcrop so after a while looking at rocks on Google Images inspiration came from Dartmoor Tors. No salvaged rocks in stock so I had to buy some foam :shock: I suppose it had to happen eventually :roll:

Next job is probably a bit of greenery in the rocky area to see what it looks like… Also I still have some left over hanging basket liner… (Cheapskate? Me?...)
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

Postby Si » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:25 pm

wow, Ian, looks excellent!

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:55 pm

I like it all Ian, especially the new outcrops! The brick work and timbers would be 'not uncommon' in the rag-tag mines in this area. Anything goes if it works!

You need to tell us the story of the Bed Bug Mine. What's being mined, where is it located, etc. I love stories. :D
Ken

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14 pm

Love it,Great job!
best
Chris 8) 8) 8) 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks folks,

A quick note about the rocks - they are made from Oasis foam, the stuff meant for flower arranging. I cut a block into a few slices of different thickness then cut each slice into random roughly rectangular pieces and set about them with a wire brush to try to give the look of weathered strata. Do this outside on a windy day, I don't think breathing the foam dust would be a good idea. I then played around with the foam sections until I was happy with the arrangement and stuck them in place with PVA, it seemed to take a long time to dry but I suppose the foam is designed to retain moisture. So far it has just had a coat of grey emulsion paint, but I think it's looking reasonably promising.
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: modelling in card

Postby Geeky Gecko » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:53 pm

Looking good, Ian. I especially like the rocks.
Stefan

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:07 pm

Greetings all,

Sorry if this is a bit self indulgent but I've been playing about with photos and thought this looked quite good...

Just some painting on the rocks and a bit of hanging basket liner for grass. Background is a commercial backscene, Gaugemaster if I remember rightly.
Ian K

Be seeing you...

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:21 pm

I like it :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:22 pm

That image looks remarkably realistic Ian, and belies the tiny size of the layout. Looks like it is coming on well!

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Ian-IoM wrote:Greetings all,

Sorry if this is a bit self indulgent but I've been playing about with photos and thought this looked quite good...

Just some painting on the rocks and a bit of hanging basket liner for grass. Background is a commercial backscene, Gaugemaster if I remember rightly.

THIS is excellent, something to be proud of. Nice work! :D
Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:32 pm

looks good. I don't normally like photo backscenes, mainly because they are too visible,in focus, but by blurring the background it looks a lot better. Something for people to think about when taking photos of their work. I use impressionist images myself, but have seen photos is a sort of black and white also work well. Anything than a straight photo.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:20 am

Ian,

That backscene looks just right. It gives the impression of the mine being high in the hills somewhere. I reckon working there could be rather cold and breezy!

cheers,

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks folk,

I'm not usually a big fan of photo backscenes but I think this piccy worked quite well and gave the right sort of setting for the mine. The backscene is not for this layout though, it is on a OO shelf layout I am building for my step-son in his bedroom - for the photo the mine layout was perched in front of the OO stuff and the evidence was cropped off in Paintshop Pro.
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Re: Bedbug Mine

Postby Ian-IoM » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:44 pm

'lo folks,

Long time no post but I haven't made a great deal of progress recently - must try harder :oops:

Thanks to Tom for keeping the forum going though :D

Anyhoo, I don't seem to be able to get at my.gn15.info at the moment so thought I'd have a go at photobucket. A piccy may or may not follow...

By Gum! It worked (Well ok, I had to ask Kathryn for help :oops: ) As you can see the KISS principle has been applied in full, just a bit of control snake to poke the wagon and a couple of bits of wire to hold it on the track.

Here's the behind the scenes view...
The wire poking through the slot in the piece of white plasticard at the left is the wagon tipping doodah.

Basic and simple but it does work...

Now I need to tidy up scenically, add a hopper etc...
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Return to “Modelling Matters”