Small I/C "critter"

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Small I/C "critter"

Postby lesmond » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:36 pm

I've no end of projects on at present, and have none of them even nearly finished, so the last thing I need to do is start another one. So that's just what I did :D. This one shouldn't take too long, however the layout it will eventually run on (C Rapper & Sons) is well and truly on the back burner. I've justified it as "proof of concept" for future builds 8).

I like to kitbash things into other things, and this is no exception. In 1:24 scale, 9mm gauge scales up to 8 1/2" gauge, and anything built will borrow a lot from 7 1/4" gauge tried and tested locomotives and rolling stock. I've taken a "Pugbash Permitter" from Rushbys Resins (the usual no connection etc), a Kato 103, an Airfix / Dapol Drewry shunter, some styrene, and so far made this:

Image2017-09-03 20.52.25 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

Image2017-09-03 20.54.08 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

Image2017-09-03 20.53.58 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

The last picture shows Pete the fitter standing beside it.

I've wondered for long enough if it would be possible to successfully shorten the Airfix shunter engine cover; it turns out that you can. The newer kits (the Dapol ones made from recycled plastic) are quite soft and easy to cut and file with an emery board. For their age, they are still quite detailed mouldings, and when painted and with tools / odds and ends added hopefully will look ok.

I used the cab front as is, mainly because it was an easy solution, and (I think) looks ok despite the cab windows. The footplate is a styrene rectangle with styrene "girder" glued underneath to clear the top of the Kato chassis in the Pugbash Permitter.

Next is to add the seat, basic controls - brakes, throttle, clutch pedal and gear lever - as well as a cab side (one side only) and a low back. I'll knock these up out of odds and ends from the scrap box.

Les
"Because I Can"

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Re: Small I/C "critter"

Postby docnjoj » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:42 am

This is looking really good.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Re: Small I/C "critter"

Postby lesmond » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks, otherDoc

Some developments over the last couple of days:

Image2017-09-08 18.21.56 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

It now has a seat, brake wheel, part of the throttle and a gear lever. The air filter has also been added on the right beside the engine cover. All being well I'll get it primed tomorrow.

Rather than adding a cab back, I'm going to put a post at the back right of the footplate and add a chain across the back, to give a bit more room for the driver. This idea was nothing to do with me; all credit to Scenic Director Leanne.

Les
"Because I Can"

Return to “GNine”