I'm going for it!

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

I'm going for it!

Postby docnjoj » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:22 pm

Well I decided to take the plunge. I got an oval of Kato Unitrack, a little N wheel n-switcher and an N Civil war boxcar ( 600,000 dead was not too civil) This should make a small loco, and a trailing car to hold the radio gear. I've been musing this step for a while now, simply to try to get more track into a small layout. GN15 on hold for the moment whilst G9 takes over. I gotta get some more track, a couple of turnouts and maybe a couple of more cars to butcher. Working on another paper loco body for this new N power unit. Paper rules for speed and looks "not too bad" coming from me.

Question? Can other N track mate with Unitrack?
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Re: I'm going for it!

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:35 pm

The track should do. but you might have to fettle the connection to make them fit correctly.

Looking forward to see how the loco turns out :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks MCTS. The stuff should all be here by July 4th. Whoopie! More junk to store. At least this bunch of train parts are very small. I had to narrow the paper loco to a bit less than 30 mm. Good thing my drawing program is easy to use.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Chris Longvallon
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Little big trains like Gn15 trains.

Postby Chris Longvallon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:39 pm

A new paper critter ! Can't wait for the first pics.
All the best, :D
Chris

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:39 pm

Since I am on my home computer for work a lot, I do take breaks, and sometimes go to E-bay. I just hit one in that I bought an HON3 4 wheel diesel, for 25 bucks shipped. This is a rare find because I can use the HO size hood (and power chassis, of course) but just have to build a cab, like Steve does for Sideline models GN15 Bachmann 44 tonners. I have pretty much finished the second version of the new paper loco, but I am waiting for track and any rolling stock in N or HON3 scale before pictures.. Stay tuned.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:44 pm

Man these things are tiny! I don't know if my 70 year old eyes can deal with this tiny. I'll post some pictures when I get the power unit I just bought fixed. You don't get much for 12 bucks, even in N-gauge..
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 modeling after Hayward Estate RR

Postby Larry C. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Sounds interesting, waiting to see what a G9 layout looks like and your "paper critters". :D

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Well the best laid plans.......... I blew up my one Deltang receiver and that has slowed things down again. Finally got replacements coming from TheON30Guy (very good service but the electronics have to come from England). Should be here this week and then I will assemble the paper loco. I do have all the parts cut out and some glued. Deadrail is really the way to go, since there is no track wiring, except perhaps the turnouts if you want electric throw. I guess I do, since I can barely see them. :lol:
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

velotrain
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15

Postby velotrain » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:05 am

> TheON30Guy (very good service . . .

If this is the Geren M. I suspect it is, maybe he's reformed.

About 4-5 years ago I hired him to install RC in a large scale steamer.

He took over a year, kept giving BS excuses (when he bothered to reply at all), and I finally had to get Accucraft involved.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:56 pm

For sure sometimes he is slow. Not that slow, however. I am still down 1 Deltang unit that came without wires, so I had to solder them. It is like trying to solder human hair. The next one I get will have all the wires soldered. It is much easier to splice them instead of soldering them to the board. David in Britland who makes these little parts is really great and his service is quite fast. They are definitely worth it so as not to have to wire track.

Unfortunately time and life gets in the way of everything and I still have a plastic box of parts, but no layout. Hopefully my job and grandkids will slow down a bit and I can get back to pure fun. Ridiculous to still be working at 70, but I do like the work.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Return to “GNine”