G9 Taiwan Mining Loco

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

G9 Taiwan Mining Loco

Postby docnjoj » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 pm

IMG_1422.JPG
IMG_1422.JPG (92.14 KiB) Viewed 3626 times
This is an experiment that seems to work so far. The model is a Tom Yorke Mining Loco and instead of GN15 I am attempting to make it G9 using a Kato 104 power unit and Kato track. So far it runs fine, albeit a really bit fast. I have a junky old transformer to test the loop with and it runs about a scale 25 mph. With the Deltang radio I normally use I can get it ti run 1-2 mph, so it will not be a future problem.

I have a bunch of N and HOn30 cars and some of Steve Bennetts locos and cars for G9 and plenty of track for a somewhat larger layout.

Paint is an experiment to make the model pristine instead of the usual derelict that I rust away. It should look like it came straight out of Alan Keefes rebuild factory. Somewhere there is a photo of a neat yellow one just like it just rolled out of the paint shop there in real life. I am trying to use Rustolium plastic paint but may have to remove it all if I can't get it to stick better.

Anyhoo, what do you y'all think. The loading gauge for this loco is a little large (36 mm wide) but it seems not to look too weird to me.
David (Doc)
Attachments
IMG_1423.JPG
IMG_1423.JPG (89.89 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Re: G9 Taiwan Mining Loco

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:54 am

I love the loco. I don't care much for the hippy driver though. :lol:
Ken

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:19 am

Hi Doc,

Like the loco.

Over in the 'real' world aka my Minimal group (see link with my signature) we have plenty of locos and stock that are nigh on 4x the width of the gauge.

The challenge, perhaps, for G9 is the depth of the chassis, and maybe the wheel diameter. On 7 1/4" we are typically running 5" or 6" diameter wheels on our locos and your chassis rails look a tad deep.

Both designs in the photo below are by Colin Edmondson. On the left, Scamp, in this instance powered by a Suffolk Punch mower engine (brand new Loncin engines are an option) is 33" long. The mini Lister (about 2/3 scale for most dimensions, I forget the exact measurements, but you can probably estimate them well enough from the Scamp) is powered by a genuine Lister type D.

Colin Edmondson 10830772_10205800444143787_8672496839406880495_o.jpg
Colin Edmondson 10830772_10205800444143787_8672496839406880495_o.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 3539 times

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:32 pm

Thanks Chris! That mini Lister is one that I have thought about building, but now I'll stick with the kits. Thank you for the encouragement. The Scamp is tiny!
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Doc,

You do know there have already been a few versions of G9 mini Listers, don't you? See:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1476&hilit=lister&start=100

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3717&hilit=lister

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1527&hilit=lister

Cheers,

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:23 pm

I have a full size one from Scott's beautiful kit from wayback. I guess I'd better finish a bit of the layout after I finish this loco. Then, maybe. I love the miniature stuff that you ride on. Very cool.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:34 pm

Someone on NGRM asked:
" I'm wondering why a blind man, wearing sandals, is allowed to drive a mining loco."

Ho Ho Ho, you asked for it! It seems that a certain Lord Baltimore in England went over to Taiwan to purchase the loco and shopped it to home in Dorchester. He hired Alan Keefe to strip it down and restore it to new condition, which of course included the old one cylinder diesel. This Lord had an estate railroad (which I may attempt to model) with 9" track, so the axles were modified and the wheels pushed in.

Now the Lord has a son, kind of a ne'er do well, who thinks he knows everything, but is, of course blind as a bat. When he met the delivery of the newly rebuilt loco, he immediately asked to drive it. Since it only runs in an oval, and only about 7 mph max, the Lord acquiesced and allow the kid to drive. I managed to capture a couple of photos, but the loco needs to go back to the paint shop, due to a failed experiment with a new paint type that did not work well.

Merryland, the kid, was devistated, since he can't see the paint job.

Aren't you glad that you asked?

otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:26 pm

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:10 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote::roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Gerry! This figure came from you many years ago when I bought your GN15 converted Bachmann 4 wheel diesel loco. It is the best painted figure I have ever seen and I aspire to do as well on my other "little people".
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:54 pm

That loco looks very much too wide for those narrow rails. I´d suggest, to cut a 3-4 mm strip from each side of the deck.

The drivers seat will need a backrest and the flywheel a belt to connect the gear to the motor.

I wonder where you´ll fit the battery and the Deltang receiver. If you´ll fit a roof, you can hide it there.

Have Fun

Juergen

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks Jeurgen. I got sidetracked from this project when the paint failed and I had to remove it. I may give that a try or save this loco for GN15 later.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Return to “GNine”