Graham Farish N Gauge Track

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

Montignac
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Montignac » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:10 pm

Hello there,
Did anyone use the Graham Farish N Gauge Track to build a Gnine layout ?

Thanks for all your answers.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Re: Graham Farish N Gauge Track

Postby docnjoj » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:04 pm

I would hope that you could find smaller radius track. The brand new Minitrains stuff looks good, but I use Kato as it has 6" radius.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Montignac
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Montignac » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:19 pm

Montignac
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Montignac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:39 pm

docnjoj wrote:I would hope that you could find smaller radius track. The brand new Minitrains stuff looks good, but I use Kato as it has 6" radius.
otherDoc

These two video show the new Minitrains track system (which is too expensive for me :( )

MiniTrains track - Run-test forward

MiniTrains track - Run-test backwards

Montignac
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Montignac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:51 pm

Anyway, I bought one Graham Farish Straight Track (174mm) just for a test:

009.jpg

What's the best solution for Gnine track ? All your answers are welcome.

008.jpg

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Although the sleepers look a little small (but it's your line, so do as you wish) I think the '2 sleepers removed' looks acceptably similar to very lightly laid lines in larger gauges. As the rail itself is large for the gauge it represents it wouldn't need a lot of support.

Here's a shot from the 10 1/4" gauge Rudyard Lake Railway, the run round right at the end of the line. And this takes locos that weight up to one 1 ton.

DSCF4063.jpg
DSCF4063.jpg (103.55 KiB) Viewed 1862 times

Cheers,

Montignac
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Montignac » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks Chris for your reply and the photo. You're right, my sleepers are a little bit small. As you said, it's my layout, so I do what I want...or what I can ! :oops: .

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:58 pm

Although I am currently using wood sleepers for my 7 1/4" gauge line around garden/paddock to carry manure, garden produce and such I will use recycled plastic in the paddock as I am going to try laying in (wet) grass. These will come from

http://www.pnp-railways.co.uk/products/7-gauge-sleeper/

And are

Dimensions: (L) 353mm x (W) 50mm x (H) 25mm

And are thus quite small.

Cheers,

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:55 pm

Wow injection moulded ties! I wonder about using Trex decking?
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:57 pm

Montignac wrote:Anyway, I bought one Graham Farish Straight Track (174mm) just for a test:

009.jpg

What's the best solution for Gnine track ? All your answers are welcome.

008.jpg

Those look good to me too! I am waiting to see Minitrains track pricing if it ever gets to the US.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Montignac
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Montignac » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:07 pm

docnjoj wrote:I am waiting to see Minitrains track pricing if it ever gets to the US.
otherDoc

Try this link:
http://www.minitrains.eu/sources/track-usd-8-2016.pdf

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi Doc,

I don't know about Trex specifically but there are plenty of miniature railway clubs here in the UK that now use recycled plastic for sleepers.

Cheers,

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:13 pm

Whoops just saw this Chris. Trex or any plastic composite gotta be more enviro friendly than creosote ties.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:14 am

I'm using Kato Unitrack for a project to be revealed a bit later.

It looks nothing like "proper" ng track as the sleepers are far too small and close together (I know a few people who's eyes are like that too - usually their mother is also their sister) but for this job it doesn't matter :D

Les
"Because I Can"

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:14 pm

The trick with Unitrack is to use the tram type so no sleepers show at all. It is embedded and you use concrete or cobbles around it.
Then it looks OK.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:47 am

It is just a pity there are no ponts with inlay, apart from the double junction. Tomix do a set to do infill, which came out before the inlaid track, but it cheats a bit, especially with the point.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:05 pm

I bought some of yours, Simon, for GN15 and they seem fine, but of course then I decided to do G9. I think your solution is the best and I got one in GN15 to work without any movement, just the proper gaps where the wheels go through. Of course mine are deadrail, so no pesky electrics to worry about. Mine are for a reverse loop so the trains only go one way around. Obviously if you want a choice than you have to have the points move.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:32 pm

I didn't know of the tram type - thanks for that. That will solve a problem for (yet another) wee project.

Les
"Because I Can"

Return to “GNine”