Project X

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Project X

Postby lesmond » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:11 pm

I've been thinking about this one for years, and have now, finally, got around to it.

There isn't going to be a whole lot until the big reveal, as I'm hoping for maximum visual impact, but so far its an upside down box baseboard with a 9mm marine ply top (cos I had a bit that size spare), sides from timber off an old bed I found in an entry and a couple of offcuts, total size 4' x 18", 1:24 scale, using 9mm track.

I've just finished the wiring (a first in itself :D ) which looks like this:

The speakers are from two dead HP PCs, and are powered by a small amplifier (a Chinese Ebay buy) which will provide ambient sound.

The interface looks like this upside down:

and is to my standard design - 5 pin is power in, 4 pin is connection to the controller, the knob is amplifier volume, and the two phono sockets are left and right audio from an mp3 player.

That'll be it until I get it finished :D :D :D

Les
"Because I Can"

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Re: Project X

Postby docnjoj » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:10 pm

Good for you. G9 is what I need to move on, and maybe this will give me some incentive to get going.
Thanks lesmond
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:27 pm

Looking forward to the big reveal 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:13 pm

Foam carving for the landscape continues apace, but I have more or less finished the control panel:

Les
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:57 am

It isn't finished yet (by a long way) but the foam carving is complete, and I've just had confirmation of an exhibition booking for April (first time exhibiting anything on my own account), so I thought the assembled brethren might like to see what I've been working at for the last while.

May I present.... ridiculous pause for effect.... "Road Runner" :)

The phone handset is for balance - there will be wire armatures holding the more delicate "rocks" in place as well as glue. I recently found some dumped wire coathangers in a neighbours bin, so all expense spared as usual. The yellow foam came from a variety of skips.

The hole at the lower level is to be a mine entrance (Wile E Coyote's HQ) with a low wooden platform beside the track for delivery and storage of various Acme items, giant magnets, dynamite etc.

The one and only locomotive is to be our hero on a rocket powered device of his own construction. In reality this is a Kato 11-103 with a 3D printed chassis (cheers, Tom :) ), with a modified keyring (Wile E sitting on a golf ball firing machine) at the front, with a copper pipe rocket lashed to a cradle on the back. All hopefully suitably ludicrous.

An early trial involving blu-tack to hold some of it together is here:

https://youtu.be/XEKpwpta8XA

As its basically an animated cartoon, the track is Tomix N gauge settrack, which with a scale of 1:24 makes it 8.5" gauge in 1:1 scale.

I've still to glue it all together, paint it, fix the track down, make the "locomotive", and design and make all the traps, failed devices and odds and ends that exist in the Road Runner universe. I've 4 months and four days to do this :shock: .

All being well the whole thing will be suitably cartoon-ish and hopefully out of the ordinary. I'm not aware of anything similar, although there is bound to have been somewhere in the world. The research has certainly been hilarious.

Tin hat on - ready for any and all reaction :)

Les
"Because I Can"

nu2ng
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Minimum Gauge, Industrial, Gn15

Postby nu2ng » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:40 am

It's looking good Les :)

Beep beep!

Andi
Andi N

'Too many projects,
not enough time
and absolutely no money!!'

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:26 pm

Don't forget the large stick of 'Acme' dynamite!
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:00 pm

Cheers, Andi - long way to go yet.

Bill - I've a large quantity of plastic rod & fuse wire in for mass production :)

1:24 scale anvils are hard to come by, though...
"Because I Can"

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:21 pm

nice one. Might be fun transporting it, based on experience. I suppose a purpose built box(on wheels) to put it in might be the answer.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:16 am

Thanks Simon.

Transport has been on my mind, even though I've a van to move it in it will still be vunerable. You've given me an idea for a cover, though, which I'll get a start at over the Christmas holidays. All suitably silly to keep with the theme.

Les
"Because I Can"

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:17 pm

It is just that I have found my 3ft long modules difficult to move, and with all that height. I am sure there are examples of crates used in the cartoons.Diamite is transported in crates, but given where you are living, that might be a bit sensitive.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:54 pm

Even in its diminished state this is a difficult lift for one person due to length. Damage is certain without some sort of covering.

I'm thinking of a two part cover, both sides and the back as one piece, bolted to the sides and back with captive nuts on the inside, and a one piece front and top to bolt to the front and screw to the sides / back. When the front piece comes off I'm thinking of an add-able front facia to display the layout name / scale etc.

Provided B&Q are cutting ply this week I'll get the basics of it made. I've a week off so should get a good bit done.

We all supposedly love each other here now, so mysterious crates aren't the panic they once were, thankfully :)
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:57 am

Work is ongoing, and I'm very conscious that time is short.

I've the cover planned but haven't had time yet to get the plywood cut for it. This needs to be done fairly soon as the base will need drilled for securing bolts before too much else is added.

In the meantime, the ever resourceful mrs has mentioned that small Christmas tree balls would make excellent cartoon bombs (the ones with a hissing fuse) so clearance sales provided a few packets of various sizes for literally pence. These await a light rub down and a few coats of dark grey paint.

I've made a start on the low platform for the front of the scene. This is 13" long x 2 1/2" deep, and so far looks like this (upside down):

It will have individual "planks" on top, cut from coffee stirrers stained to look like they've been outside for a bit:

I've also cut, distressed and stained the timbers for the mine entrance.

Progress, but slow.

Les
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:46 pm

Platform finished, and the first of the delivered crates loosely in place:

This one will contain Acme springs carefully packed in "straw".

There are a few more crates of various sizes under construction, as well as some remains of older ones opened, taken apart and generally destroyed.

Les
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:20 am

Trial fit:

"Because I Can"

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:50 pm

This is looking very interesting Les, it will certainly be a hit at exhibitions :-)

I used Tomix track on my Gnine layout 'PG Wood House' and found that after a couple of years I started to have connection problems between the sections caused by corrosion by the water based glue that I had used around the track. In trying to fix the issues I discovered that the fishplates do not take solder very readily, although the rails do. I've ended up soldering some extra feeds to the rails at regular intervals around the loop.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks Barry.

That's good to know about the Tomix track - I'll take action now rather when its mostly in bits rather than later.

Its booked for the NDMRS show in April, so I've suddenly become very aware of the passage of time...

Les
"Because I Can"

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Les,

You may already have one, but I just spotted this on the Hannants website https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MPC720
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:48 am

Hi Steve,

That's a new one to me - thanks for the link. There will be one arriving at work fairly shortly.

Les
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:54 pm

There has been steady progress since my last big post.

I've made a containing "crate" to protect the layout in transit / storage. This bolts on to the lower edges of the baseboard, and is in two parts. The front and top are one section, the back and sides the other.

I've yet to make and fit the straps on the top and back.

I've also been working at the first piece of foam scenery which has the mine entrance and tunnel and is made of three pieces of foam glued together. There are obvious joint lines, which I've been filling with thin layers of Polyfilla. An experimental piece has shown that this works well, and that the filled joint is invisible when painted.

So far it looks like this:

All being well this will be finished through the week, and I can think about fixing it in place.

Les
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:48 am

I've actually almost finished this, so as promised:

"Because I Can"

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Postby backwaterscotland » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:06 pm

I like it - you've captured the feel of the cartoons well.

Andy 8)

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:30 pm

Superb 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:47 pm

:D :D :D
Peter

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Thank you :)
"Because I Can"

Return to “GNine”