Baxham Fishing Lakes and Smokery.

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Baxham Fishing Lakes and Smokery.

Postby Jon Randall » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:43 pm

As promised here is a few photos of my second GNine layout.

And a close-up of the scenic part.

It started off as a OO9 layout, which turned (briefly) into O9 and now has changed into GNine. The track is Peco N gauge glued onto a piece of hardboard supported with blue insulation foam with a couple of layers of foamboard to make it up to the correct depth. The points are powered by Peco point-motors and magnets have been positioned at the start of every siding. The two sidings on the dark brown un-scenic area have dead sections on them. The rolling stock will be 'Tiny' and the short flat wagons from Steve as soon as I build them :!: The couplings are Greenwich.
The only trouble is, as it started off as a OO9 layout there isn't much room for buildings. I mocked up this....
....but I'm not too keen.
It was going to be a sandstone quarry but gnow I'm just :?
Any suggestions :?:
Last edited by Jon Randall on Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Hmmm, first thing that pops into my head when seeing it is a fish/shellfish farm or something along those lines. The sunken area a pond with lots of reeds along the edge, a boat tied to a jetty with the packing and sorting shed partly over the water, maybe a lean to on the side of it for storing nets, floats, packing boxes and the like. Possibly another open fronted structure to the left to store all the junk in. The railway would be used to take the packed goods cross country to a road interchange some distance away, maybe across swamps or similar which would justify a small railway, rather than having road access. How about the Suffolk Crayfish Company :) , just an idea based on first impressions.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi Jon, If you take Steve's Suffork Shallows Shellfish Farm idea a bit further, you could have different coloured flatcars carrying printy boxes of different marine products. For example: Suffolk Gourmet.....or White Bros.....
Oysters - red flatcar
Crayfish - yellow flatcar
Scallops - light blue flatcar
Pippies - black flatcar
Octopus - light blue with dark blue rings fltcar
Prawns - cooked on site - pink flat car
Prawns - fresh uncooked - green flatcar

That ought to give almost enough combinations. If you need more flatcars, run a second flatcar of one of more of the above.

Your job with the inglenook is to make up today's orders for pick up at Steve's suggested road delivery point at the front right of your case.
Take a photo of each wagon, mount it on light cardboard and let the public shuffle them. Take the top ?? cards and lay them out on a small stand that could be supported by the case handle. These cards represent today's orders. Build your train to match the cards.

I have seen this concept work well in Australia with Adrian Hoad's Ladysmith Sidings in O scale. He used a simplified controller and with buttons for forward and reverse and another button to fire all the elctromagnet uncouplers at once. The controller was so simple to use that he could hand it over to the public and let them do the shunting.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:18 am

Don't know what they are called :roll: but have seen one appear on a French layout in CM; a small fishermam's hut next to a platform with a net that is lowered into the sea suspended by 4 corners from a jib / crane :?

PS. Nice shed BTW 8)

Simon.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:14 am

John's suggestion of cooked fish threw up another idea :roll: . The triangle at the front could house a smoker, for smoking the fish. Would act as quite a nice view block, it is good to have something the trains can pass behind. Could also give a reason for the sidings on the right.

Damn, getting to quite like this concept, tempted to have a go myself :lol: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:56 am

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:07 pm

Sometimes I wish pouring resin was a bit more challenging for the mind, it gives me far too much time to think :roll: . So just to illustrate what is going through my head at the moment :lol:

To give an idea of size, the jetty (well, piece of old fencing :) ), is 6" (150mm) long and from the rear of the boat to the front of the track, is also 6".
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:36 pm

Simon Andrews wrote:Stop it :mrgreen: 8) :wink:

:lol: Sorry :lol:
Got a bit carried away :wink:

By coincidence, I have been to La Rochelle and remember that fishing platform. Not sure Jon would have space on this layout, but it is a neat idea, for something a bit bigger, certainly unusual. Somewhere on the forum there are some more pics of fishermans railways a bit further north in France, but I have drawn a blank so far in finding them :roll: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways/Modelling

la Rochelle

Postby Mike Lee » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:07 am

Going to La Rochelle on saturday :D will have to have a look for the fishing platforms :D I gnew they existed further down the coast but didnt gnow they were near La Rochelle :D

Mike Lee

Life is to short for counting rivets :roll: :roll: :roll:

You should always go to the last one first :wink: :wink: :wink:

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks for all of your answers.
Yep I liked the idea of a fishing theme from the start and it's an idea I would never have thought of.
Ever.
The fishing platforms found at La Rochelle are impressive and it would be easy to motorise the operation with a winch. The problem would be it sinking through the water :!: Non-starter for gnow :(
I do like the idea of placing the location on the coast and I can easily base it in Suffolk as we have plenty of beaches where the fishing boats are winched up the beach (the one at Dunwich has a fish and chip shop mere metres form the winches 8) ) More thought required.
Smoker :arrow: gnice scenic idea, with a smoke unit 8)
Plenty of fishy goodies out there too with George Turner models and others.
Time to put on the thinking hat. :idea:
Jon Randall

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:34 am

You will find some good prototype inspiration in a couple of old threads Jon, try these
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p=13744#13744
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p=27847#27847
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks for all the links, inspirational. 8)
Jon Randall

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Mike wrote:
Going to La Rochelle on saturday will have to have a look for the fishing platforms I gnew they existed further down the coast but didnt gnow they were near La Rochelle

Did you have any luck Mike :?:

Simon.

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:01 pm

Time for a quick update.
I've mainly been under the thinking hat.

I wanted to base the layout on the Suffolk coast but I was having problems with getting in enough details to identify it as a beach. To overcome this I was hoping to incorporate another beach area in the lid but couldn't hide the two walls of the suitcase. the idea was to hide the sides with a pier or wall but this then cut off the siding side of the water and besides I couldn't think of a reason why the structure would run parallel with the sidings.

So the location has gnow moved inland.

The following is true.

Just down the road from me are various pits . These are bordered on one side by the River Gipping and on the other by the A14 which is the main route through Suffolk. The pits are called Sharmford Mere, Causeway Lake and the imaginatively named Barham A & B Pits. These were quarried over the years for sand and gravel and have been "restored" and are now fishing lakes. One of the first two was a trout lake. This venture came to a premature end when the River Gipping kept flooding, releasing trout out from and pike in to the lake :roll: Both lakes are now coarse-fishing lakes. Between the lakes is a picnic area.
Across the bridge over the A14 from the lakes there used to be a miniature railway in a garden. I'm not sure what the gauge was, perhaps someone could advise me :?:

Now comes the fiction.

When the trout lake venture failed, one of the neighbours decided that he could afford to combine two of his greatest past-times, namely trout fishing and miniature railways. He quickly purchased the lake and decided to extend his 9.5" railway to the side of the lake.
He realised that he needed to have a small income from the lake to pay for the maintenance and the improvements to the riverbank to stop further flooding. He decided that to supplement the income from the day-tickets he sold to the anglers he would sell the surplus fish at local farmers markets. If this proved successful then he could later branch out with a fish smoker and maybe even purchase coaches to provide rides for visitors.

And gnow onto the modelling.
The sides were too steep for my liking so a "beach" has been added. This was a piece of insulation which was carved to shape and then had two layers of sand added. The water is a off-cut of thin perspex. Thjis needs to have ripples added and the edges hidden.

Jon Randall

Simon Moore
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow and Minimum Gauge Railways, Rock music, Militaria… all sorts

Postby Simon Moore » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:52 pm

Gunna add some little tiny trout Jon? :wink: Might want to put up a no swimming sign, I'm sure there'd be those who'd want to enjoy the crystal clear waters :D But of course scare away the fish...

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:10 pm

I think the railway was 7.25" gauge Jon.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Thats quite a deep pit Jon, but it does give some scope for making the scenics quite interesting. Have you given any thought to how the banks will be held up, they are a bit steep for sand/shingle to be stable. Obvious choice would be vertical timbers driven into the ground, but possibly more interesting visually, some could be corrugated iron supported by lengths of old rail, fairly common a bit further north of you in Lincolnshire.
Do you still intend to have the shed on there, it could now be selling fishing tackle and ice creams :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:30 pm

Simon Moore wrote:
Gunna add some little tiny trout Jon? :wink:

I'm going to give it a go. Steve Bennett showed us how in Something Fishy

Might want to put up a no swimming sign

Good idea and one I hadn't thought of, thanks.
Jon Randall

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:33 pm

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:
I think the railway was 7.25" gauge Jon.

Thanks Barry, the new owner of the lake could only find a suitable stock of 9.5" :wink:
Jon Randall

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:58 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:
they are a bit steep for sand/shingle to be stable

Sometimes sand and gravel through various influences (including finer minerals/ heat/ pressure etc) form sandstone which can vary in stiffness from soft to very strong. The sandtone in that area is quite frim in the area of the railway :arrow: that's why they built it in that particular area :arrow: and the 4 foot cliff is quite stable :wink:
Do you still intend to have the shed on there, it could now be selling fishing tackle and ice creams

It covers up to much of the lake edge so I think that it will be on my third Gnine layout, coming soon.
Jon Randall

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Things have been coming along gnicely at Baxham Fishing Lake.
The banks have been added as I thought the original was far too steep and didn't allow for any scenics by the water.
Ripples have been added to the surface of the lake with 3 layers of GW Ardcoat varnish.
The anglers have been complaining about access so have been provided with a set of stairs and a fishing platform.

Just need to join the old and new banks together, add more vegetation, maybe a small structure or two, wire it, build loco and wagons, add people......
Jon Randall

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:47 pm

Nice bit of carpentry Jon 8) Could I be cheeky :oops: and suggest you add a green / brown wash to the underside of the water before you fix it in place :roll: Just a thought :wink:

Simon

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:58 pm

Looking good Jon :D :D

Is the "Safety Elf" going to be annoyed about the lack of handrails? :wink: :twisted: :twisted:
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:15 pm

Thanks for the comments, I too am happy how the layout is (slowly) progressing.

Simon Andrews wrote:
Could I be cheeky and suggest you add a green / brown wash to the underside of the water before you fix it in place Just a thought

I've been thinking the same thing Andrew, it is a bit clear for this part of the world. I tried it on a scrap part of perspex and it didn't come out too good so more practice required.

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:
Is the "Safety Elf" going to be annoyed about the lack of handrails? :wink: :twisted: :twisted:

The Safety Elf came out last week as I nearly cut my finger down to the bone :roll: Luckily the loco hadn't been built so he couldn't visit this side of the lake :wink:
Besides anglers don't like handrails as they can snag expensive rods on them :!:
Jon Randall

Return to “GNine”