C Rapper & Sons, Sanitary Ware Manufacturers

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

C Rapper & Sons, Sanitary Ware Manufacturers

Postby lesmond » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi all,

I've been a member here for a while now, and have played about with some ideas for various things, all of which have been overtaken by pressure of work (which I'm quite glad of in these nasty times). I pop in and out, look at the excellent modelling, then think "one day I'll..."

Today, however, my sister in law asked me to replace a toilet seat for her. No problem there, but the old, wooden one caught my eye. I'm certain it's been done before, but the idea of a micro layout on the lid was born.

What I'm thinking of doing is removing the hinges that hold the lid to the seat, also removing the plastic spacers that keep the lid off the seat (this sounds really complicated, but I'll explantory take pictures tomorrow if I get a minute - the whole thing is in work as the mrs would go mental if this came home), and using discreet wooden blocks to act as replacement spacers, make one unit out of seat and lid, so there can be no doubt as to the origin of the thing.

Then, construct a micro layout on the lid, more than likely in GNine, with a very short train running around a circle of track, through either end of a building, possibly with an automatic stop.

Any thoughts?
"Because I Can"

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: C Rapper & Sons, Sanitary Ware Manufacturers

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:34 pm

lesmond wrote:Hi all,

Today, however, my sister in law asked me to replace a toilet seat for her. No problem there, but the old, wooden one caught my eye. I'm certain it's been done before, but the idea of a micro layout on the lid was born.

Any thoughts?

It certainly has Les in Gn15, details here:

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5259

Though as you'll note it was sadly never finished.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Gerry,

Thanks for that, I thought I'd seen it somewhere before. The original name of the firm was "S Hithouse & Co" but it didn't look right when I mocked up a sign in Word

I should avoid all sorts of track laying woe by using the lid, and the whole thing being made of wood.
"Because I Can"

John New
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: railways large and small.

Postby John New » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:22 pm

Given that Sir John Harrington invented the lavatory (see http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/TheLoo.htm for just one write up picked at random) perhaps Harrington's Estab 1590 might be an alternative name/
John
http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk | http://www.yorkshow.org.uk | http://www.island-publishing.co.uk

Remembering it’s a hobby and I am allowed to smile!

Imagineering
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: On30, Gn15, HO, N & T

Postby Imagineering » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:59 pm

Or a 'Porter Potty' perhaps?

It raises many comments at Exhibitions.

"What a Crappy Layout"
"Where were you when you thought of it?"
"Is this Scale Bog Standard?"
"Is there any significance that the Loco is pulling a 'Log'?" (just realised that this photo doesn't have the 'Log Wagon' attached).

Most people however, don't get the pun in the layout name.

Murray.

Murray McKenzie

Modelling 1/2 Scale Gn15

"Every day I count wasted, in which there have been no trains". -- Nietzsche, (almost)

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:51 am

John, thanks for the link, I like the idea that the great man was dismissed from court for telling "risque stories". I rather think I'd like him.

Murray, thats an excellent picture & concept. To have it pulling a log or two would certainly make me laugh.

Walked out this morning sans camera, so progress pictures will have to wait. A length of 009 Peco flexible track will easily bend round the space available on the lid, so it all looks good so far. The mother in law has now announced that she wants a new seat as well, so this could well be the start od something unsanitary...
"Because I Can"

KeithB
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: World-wide NG industrial; std-gauge short-lines

Postby KeithB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Not being one to miss a chance to do some serious research, this thread lead me to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

...which in turn lead me to:

http://www.thomas-crapper.com/
Regards,
Keith

Dogs have owners;
Cats have staff....

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:30 pm

Hard to believe that its 3 1/2 years since this one got a look!

I'm in a "making stuff" way of going this last while, and when tidying up a much unloved corner of work yesterday came across the toilet seat originally proposed for C Rapper and Sons.

I'd originally thought of Gn15 for this one, then found out about (and bought) a circle of Tomix N gauge track. So, GNine it is. 1:24 dolls house bathroom equipment is also easily available, so this could end up quite funny (at least in my head).

Photos to follow, and on re-reading this thread an On30 "logging" line as proposed above may also get a go. I'm thinking of the lid at a slight angle made to look like a hillside being cut down.
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:42 pm

Photos as mentioned:

Lid with track in a circle:

rsz_2015-02-19_155720.jpg
rsz_2015-02-19_155720.jpg (40.76 KiB) Viewed 3809 times

Bit more room than I thought, so may well make it an oval (with a bit of it hidden in a building to disguise the ovality) or maybe a point and a very short siding.

rsz_2015-02-19_155835.jpg
rsz_2015-02-19_155835.jpg (41.77 KiB) Viewed 3809 times

I'm thinking of Peco 009 track as the Tomix track won't look right.
"Because I Can"

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:59 am

The tramway track from Tomix can look better than the sleepered track. Might also be worth looking at the road system as well, as one idea I have is for works trolleys moving around a factory. A works yard is more likely to have inset track. Points? , well could look at my 3D printed items, as already quite a bit for 9mm gauge, and I am open to suggestions.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Pierre Chatelet
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15

Postby Pierre Chatelet » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Very funny ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:53 pm

I note that you plan to angle the lid. Before permanently fixing track make sure that you don't get derailments on the curves with whatever you intend to run. Just checking a Loco isn't adequate. Many moons back a layout didn't get completed for that reason.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Thanks for all of the comments.

Simon - Agreed re inset track. I'm intending to use the Tomix tramway (or similar, and I've yet to look properly at your range, but will be in touch regarding it), the track shown is just to get an idea of the thing and what will fit where.

Gerry - the angled lid idea had been scrapped, for precisely the reasons you give!

Slow progress as I've been giving my workbench a very long overdue clean and tidy.

Les
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sat May 14, 2016 11:41 am

Another 16 months have passed, and I'm finally getting back to this one :(

I've been doing a lot of baseboard making for the last while, so decided to crack on and make the lower frame for the toilet seat this morning. Not exactly hard to do, but it progresses the job a little further.

Next is to find some metal polish, and give the hinges a good go, as they've become tarnished with sitting around. Then to fit the lid a little more permenantly, and give it a bit of a sand to get the top coat of varnish roughened up, then I can think about laying some track.

Les
"Because I Can"

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sat May 14, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks Lesmond. What rolling stock are you using? I just may get back on track to work on my G9 stuff. The Kato track I have is also inset but I want a concrete or asphalt floor.
David (aka otherDoc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sat May 14, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi David,

I've not decided yet about rolling stock. For ease and speed I'll probably talk nicely to Steve Bennett, his Pepper 7 range has some lovely G9 bits, although I do have enough dead and critically injured N gauge stock to knock something together. Really all I need are a small locomotive and two or three flat cars to carry dolls house bathroom fittings.

I'm also thinking about modified 009 track instead of the Kato track to improve the look. The Kato track already has a home on another project :)

Les
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Sun May 15, 2016 4:52 am

Nice work Les.

Did you say you would 'crack on' with the toilet seat layout? 8)
Ken

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun May 15, 2016 8:26 am

Thanks Ken, and I did indeed say that, although it truly was unintentional :D :D . Its made me laugh this morning though.

Les
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Sun May 15, 2016 10:52 pm

:lol:
Ken

Return to “GNine”