O-9 to Gnine (Blurring the scales)

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

O-9 to Gnine (Blurring the scales)

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:04 am

Sometimes mad ideas work out, other tmes they dont :lol:
Messing around with a reject seat from the recent riding car experiments, I had the weird thought of mounting one on the cab of an O-9 Avalon Line loco and sitting a G scale figure on it :roll:

For a start, Jon is sat a bit too upright to be perched on top like this which puts the centre of gravity a bit high and to make matters worse, this loco is mounted on an old Farish Class 08, which waddles along the track at the best of times. Having it test running around my little pizza test track, I'm surprised it didnt fall over :D

I thought that there was some potential in the idea though, so grabbed some bits out of the rejects box and set to work (well maybe that should be play :wink: )
After a bit of messing about with different parts, this is what it came out like, alongside the original idea.

Actually, it's probably better showing them without the figures in the way, so a direct comparison to the original O scale loco can be made.

Working from the bottom up, the first thing to replace was the chassis. A Kato tram chassis was going to be a big improvement over the Farish, both for running and stability. So the underframe from Tiny got put to use.
However, I wanted to use N Gauge couplings on this, so the buffer beam had to be modified, to allow them to be retained on the chassis. A simple enough task to make a suitable cutout.
Next up was raising the seat, but not as far as the first attempt. In the end, I only raised it by 2mm and added some rod at the rear to represent a hinge and make it look like a lift up inspection panel or a toolbox. Not that it can really be sen once the figure is on it.
The only other modifications to the original kit, was a larger filler cap on top of the bonnet and fitting some T handles on the side panels.
I still need to try and fit some controls in the rather cramped cab area, if I can :lol:
Will probably be a brake for him to rest his right hand on, plus a handheld controller to his left and maybe a gauge and a few buttons.

A really quick and easy conversion, once I figured out what to do and it looks pretty cute running around the test track with a couple of wagons :D
Here are a couple more views:

I have already modified another chassis, just need to scratch around for another body to modify now :lol:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Steve,

It's very interesting to see how some detail changes can alter your perspective in a model. Looking forward to seeing what the extra bits of detailing offer in terms of aesthetics.

Next loco needs a cab....with a roof....mwahahaaa :twisted:
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Stop it :!: I don't need anymore temptation :wink:

Simon.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:43 pm

demaine22 wrote:Next loco needs a cab....with a roof....mwahahaaa :twisted:

Hmmmm, might pass on that one for now :)
Keeping the centre of gravity low is difficult enough as it is, though I am tempted to do a roof on stilts, like here:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p=91704#91704
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Simon Andrews wrote:Stop it :!: I don't need anymore temptation :wink:

Simon.

:lol: Apologies, well not really :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:10 am

Seems taking that loco away from Jon was a bad move, as he has not stopped complaining since :roll:
So I ordered another one for him, but with a bit of a lower seating position, to keep him better balanced.
When i asked what colour he wanted, I found out he was a bit of a fan of a certain TV show, as he wanted Thomas Blue :wink:
So this is his new toy

It went a bit further than a lower seat though. a new underframe was fabricated, which sits lower on the Kato chassis, reducng the floor level by about 2mm. Combined with the lower seat, this reduced the overall height by about 6mm, which makes quite a difference on such a narrow gauge.

What I havent told Jon yet though, is that he will have to share this loco with other drivers :lol:
So his seat module is removeable, to allow those with shorter legs to also be accomodated.

So I guess I can expect more complaints when he learns he has to share his new toy. If it gets too much, i will ship him off to Avalon, where it seems the next one of these to come off the production line will be headed :D
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:21 pm

That new under frame looks great! Makes the loco appear a lot more solid too, and in a strange way...the blue although not to my personal taste, really suits it! :oops:

If it gets too much, i will ship him off to Avalon, where it seems the next one of these to come off the production line will be headed

Are we going to be seeing a kit for this...? I'm already having a hard enough time sketching up a list of 'things to buy for the layout' adding to it could be fatal for my bank account....

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:44 pm

demaine22 wrote:Are we going to be seeing a kit for this...? I'm already having a hard enough time sketching up a list of 'things to buy for the layout' adding to it could be fatal for my bank account....

:lol: No you are safe, no kit, well unless you count the Avalon kit that I used the bits from :wink:
The only major change from the original kit, is the underfames really. Most of the rest, apart from adding some height to the seat, is as it comes. Oh and I used some of the cab controls from Titch.

If anybody wants the bits to make one, like the green one at the top, that can be arranged :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:20 pm

Stop it I don't need anymore temptation

If anybody wants the bits to make one, like the green one at the top, that can be arranged

Breathe deeply.... count to 10......Must stay focused :!:

Simon.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:40 pm

Simon Andrews wrote:
Breathe deeply.... count to 10......Must stay focused :!:

LOL, better nail your letterbox closed before tomorrow then :D
At least some of it will help you focus :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:32 am

Focus lost :roll:

Take one failed Avalon bash, some Black Dog O&K parts and an old Bachmann 0-4-0 chassis.....

A small 09 I/C loco :D

Maybe throw in a driving car.......

a G9 miniature :D

Simon.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:41 am

Simon Andrews wrote:Focus lost :roll:

Well I did tell you to nail the letterbox closed :lol:
Sorry about that, well not really :wink:

I'm surprised that you still have a working Bachmann 0-4-0, I think the motors on all mine are dead.
Looks like it is going to make a nice conversion, just needs an open backed cab with a control panel and you will be good to go :D
I guess if the motor ever does pack up, you could slot an N-Drive chassis straight in there to replace it. They do run a lot better too.

Now get back to work on that layout :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm surprised that you still have a working Bachmann 0-4-0, I think the motors on all mine are dead.

I bought 4 when they went out of production and also bought 4 replacement motors directly from Bachmann I am down to the last 2 :roll: I understand that you can use the worms from the Bachmann N gauge Brill Tram if you can find a small motor.

The biggest problem I had was when production moved to China. The gear muffs on these later models are often split :evil: I have been able to repair them with epoxy glue, but the wheels cannot be removed and I don't have the nerve to re-quater them before the glue drys, so no coupling rods etc.

With regards to finishing the loco, I was thinking of something like SOUTHPASS' little loco http://www.minimumgauge.info/viewtopic.php?t=4378&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30 Does anyone do a G scale John Baxter to drive it :?: :wink:

Simon.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:58 pm

:lol: Now it's my turn to get distracted :)
Think I will save the inspiration from John's loco for another day.
I'm supposed to be building something else :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:45 am

Does anyone do a G scale John Baxter to drive it

I think Prieser has a figure with quiet a rotund body :D
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

A bit of a whimsey?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:25 pm

Well it seems to be the silly season around here, what with Wallace and Grommit, a christmas pizza in july and a hippo enclosure, I dont feel so out of place posting my latest bit of fantasy :lol:
Now if it is one thing I struggle with, it is doing anything totally whimsical (though others may question that? ) but this time I think I have come up with a bash that nobody could possibly take seriously :wink:

Many I am sure will recognise the base model for this, an Avalon Line O-9 tram loco. While messing around, designing a new base for it to fit on a Kato 11-103 mechanism, rather than the normal Graham Farish one, it just so happened I had a G scale figure sat on the bench and well, things kinda developed from there.

Probably doesnt look too strange like this, but add a figure to the mix and it does take on quite a different appearance.

Still not decided if it is going to represent something steam powered, or if it will be finished as a steam outline infernal combustion or electric thing.
Maybe I will do a couple and try both routes? Anything could happen from here on in :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi Steve.
I think it would look like right at home towing some wagons with people sitting in them.
i.e. amusement park or model engineers track.

If you want to go whimsical you need to think a bit more outrageous. :idea: :twisted: Maybe running through a dinosaur enclosure inside a wire mesh 'tunnel' to protect the people from the dinosaurs. Now that’s whimsical!

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

0-9 to Gnine

Postby Catweasel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:18 pm

http://www.nigellawton009.com/PayPalMotors.html

This is the fella you want if your Bachmann has died. I did several of them and found it an easy job. Usual disclaimers.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:08 am

Hi Steve,

Great idea! I like the look of the engine...clearly has to be steam first though! Annoyingly gives me another idea to throw onto the pile!

Glen is right a couple of passenger cars behind this would be fun!

Glen A wrote:If you want to go whimsical you need to think a bit more outrageous. :idea: :twisted: Maybe running through a dinosaur enclosure inside a wire mesh 'tunnel' to protect the people from the dinosaurs. Now that’s whimsical!

Now it's just getting silly!

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:12 am

A year or so ago I contacted Nigel about the remotoring kit and he said it was unlikely to be back in production as it cost a fair bit to get a batch done and he didn't sell enough. He could still supply the motor and long extension shaft bored out to fit it, but no cradle.

only15
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things Minimum!

Postby only15 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:24 am

Looks great Steve!, I think you should pursue this, would love to see it finished! :)
Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may very well be an on-coming train! ;)
Taylor Creek Tramway - 35n12
21 years young,
Tasmania, Australia.

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:51 am

Hi Steve,

Nice looking engine. Reminds me that I must finish my South Pass project in timr for Expong.

Simon.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks guys, I suspect it will look like it could be steam when finished, well the first one anyway, there is a second one started, so who knows where that will lead :lol:

Not sure I have space for a dinosaur park, it will probably be confined to running around the pond at weekends, just a little play thing :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:34 am

Very nice looking loco Steve. After finishing my hippo pool layout, I quite like the idea of miniature and steam outline locos.

Is that part of a lighter on the dome?
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Also postmaster for The Gower Islands Postal Service.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:13 pm

Kevin wrote:Is that part of a lighter on the dome?

Yes Kevin, that is where it came from. The parts are quite useful for things like this and can be varied a bit too. Not quite sure which will appear on the final versions yet, but here are a couple more options:

The turret? on the firebox also comes from the same source.

Funnily enough, I'm also thinking of a Gn15 version after these, mounted on a 16.5mm gauge Halling chassis, rather than the 9mm Kato. Width will be the same, but it works out slightly longer.
Dont hold your breath though, I have to finish this pair first :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Return to “GNine”