Blackhall Sidings

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Blackhall Sidings

Postby demaine22 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:21 pm

I'll let the pictures do the talking for my latest project – well except to explain my intentions...

This lovely bit of modelling is Black Hall Sidings, Simon Andrew's O9 layout which has been featured on the Gnatterbox before here: http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p= ... 9de1a66744 , I think it's Autumnal theme and colours are a great setting to play trains and photograph stock.

Simon approached me after I had advertised my interest on the forum for a 9mm gauge project a little while before. Initially I had to turn him down because of personal issue at home but thankfully they were resolved quickly leading to me discussing the conversion of the layout to Gnine. We came to the conclusion the layout would convert very nicely with little more than a couple of detail changes to be made. I have always fancied having an inglenook layout to play with so before you knew it, I had the layout at home within a week. It was a little like Christmas.
Yep. That works :)

The only changes I plan to make are to the building on the platform really, obviously replace it with a g-scale one and removing the fencing and gate from the back behind the trees.

That's it really. There are some little cosmetic jobs I need to address, some tree's have come away from the board,

however, with a little drill and some glue:
They're now back and secure in place.

Now on to some real work...
After I stop playing trains, the plan is to make a new building for the platform. Just five more minutes won't hurt...
Last edited by demaine22 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

Zoange
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge Win Garden

Postby Zoange » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:30 am

hello
very nice :shock:
Marc
Sorry for my English, it is a computer translation

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:34 pm

Nice to see the layout made it safely to it's new home. Don't spend to much time playing.... I want to see the changes you have planned :wink:
Simon.

only15
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things Minimum!

Postby only15 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:48 am

I liked seeing this layout in it's O9 guise, look forward to seeing it develop into it's Gnine phase!

Regards,
Nathan
Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may very well be an on-coming train! ;)
Taylor Creek Tramway - 35n12
21 years young,
Tasmania, Australia.

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks for the comments chaps. I was considering making the building removable so I could possibly switch between Gnine and O9 – would something like that even work?

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:29 am

Can't see why gnot..... :D
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Black Hall

Postby Bilco » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 am

For some reason Black Hall Sidings slipped past me unremarked when it first appeared. It's a very attractive little layout, both in O9 and G9 - a great idea to make it convertable. It's amazing how it can switch so easily between the two scales - trees become shrubs :D
Last edited by Bilco on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/

skylon
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Light railways

Re: Black Hall

Postby skylon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Bilco wrote:For some reason Black Hall Sidings slipped past me unremarked when it first appeared. It's a very attractive little layout, both in O9 and G9 - a great idea to make it convertable.Iit's amazing how it can switch so easily between the two scales - trees become shrubs :D

Quite agree, that first shot looks great. It's only the buildings that give the others away.
Great layout, which I had the pleasure of seeing in the flesh.
Looking forward to new developments!
Thanks,
Sam

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:31 pm

Simon,

As we discussed you may want to use a shunter's wagon due to the radius of the approch curve if using standard length Sidelines / Avalon chassis (my O9 locos were all shorter).

I use a short Sidlines flat with a fixed link at one end and a Greenwich coupling at the other. I use a staple, often shortened as the fixed link.

My Gnine locos use the cast couplings as supplied in order to negotiate tight radius curves. The curves on the test track below are as little as 31/2".

Hope that makes sense.

Simon.

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:26 am

First of all, thank you every one for the comments on the idea of a dual-scale layout, I hope to start on the Gnine structure tonight, something along similar lines to the O9 version, just a little taller and using G-scale printies.

Simon, thank you for showing your coupling method, makes perfect sense – I will build up my shunting wagon tonight and test it 8)

Like your test track, I may try something similar one day.

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Here is a little update on the building progress. 8)

I have managed to get the old 09 building up without doing too much damage, there was only a bit of brick paper torn where glue had come from the bushes nearby.

Once the way was clear I put my plan into action for shed building and posed the lads and their engines together for a size comparison.

However, from the side the building looks a little odd...

So I have decided to lower the height of the building a little and see how that goes, if I am still not happy with the look of the building I may try something different to fill the gap.

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

New Building

Postby Bilco » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Very neat - just by changing the building the track gauge narrows but the vegetation still looks right! I guess removing one plank would make the building look right - have you got a standing figure of the right scale to compare?

Keep it coming ...
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.

Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Re: New Building

Postby demaine22 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:26 pm

Bilco wrote:Very neat - just by changing the building the track gauge narrows but the vegetation still looks right! I guess removing one plank would make the building look right - have you got a standing figure of the right scale to compare?

Keep it coming ...

Thanks Bilco 8)

I was thinking the same about removing a plank and seeing how it sat then. Sadly don't have a standing figure at the moment but there is one on my list of 'things to get' so maybe I'll wait till I get him before I adapt anything too much :)

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Don't forget that some store sheds were lower than 6ft high. They just made them big enough for the tools. :roll:
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

MrPlantpot
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I likes anyfink wiv wheels, I duz. At the moment I am building a Narrow Gauge Layout, 1/32 scale on 16.5mm (0n16.5) track.

Postby MrPlantpot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Looking good, I like the new shed.

As for a standing figure... could you print a photo, scaled to the correct height? Stick it to some thickish card, on a suitable base... should be fine for test purposes.

By the way... your drivers appear to have one clean , and one dirty shoe each! Is this part of your cunning plan?
My Mum calls me Steve.
1:32 on 16·5mm track. Gnot strictly minimum gauge... but it is the minimum that I'm working with !
And now... a critter in 1/24th... from scratch!

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:18 am

Cross Kitter wrote:Don't forget that some store sheds were lower than 6ft high. They just made them big enough for the tools. :roll:

Thanks Simon...I think I was a little over-enthusiastic when I drew up the building, but at least I made it too tall and not too short...that would just be awkward :?

MrPlantpot wrote:As for a standing figure... could you print a photo, scaled to the correct height? Stick it to some thickish card, on a suitable base... should be fine for test purposes.

By the way... your drivers appear to have one clean , and one dirty shoe each! Is this part of your cunning plan?

Nice idea! I like that, I can sort that on my lunch today..good call!

Good observation on the shoes 8) I didn't notice how consistent I was! Or maybe I did...mwahahahaa :twisted:

chuck in the nek
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: sir arthur heywood

Postby chuck in the nek » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Howdy,

Wonder if by extending roof (sort of covered platform) over transfer area, you might change the effect. Building at present appears as same size and shape as a Privy. Its function as a RR building needs to be more clearly defined to the viewer.

Chuck
narrow of gauge, broad of view

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:37 pm

chuck in the nek wrote:Howdy,

Wonder if by extending roof (sort of covered platform) over transfer area, you might change the effect. Building at present appears as same size and shape as a Privy. Its function as a RR building needs to be more clearly defined to the viewer.

Chuck

Following on from Chuck's comment that would be easily achieved if the roof was merely a single minimal sloping one rather than the conventional pitched roof currently modelled. Such a roof IMHO is more suited to the size of the building.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote: Following on from Chuck's comment that would be easily achieved if the roof was merely a single minimal sloping one rather than the conventional pitched roof currently modelled. Such a roof IMHO is more suited to the size of the building.

The idea of a pent roof has crossed my mind when I was drawing up ideas, but I settled for an apex as I felt it had more character to it. Mind you the building is far from finished so who knows where I'll take it in the end ;)

However, one rule I gave myself was to keep the building within the existing O9 footprint so I can switch between the two scales if I want to, so I'm not planning on taking the building any further out, the boys can work in the rain and live with it :D

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:23 pm

demaine22 wrote:However, one rule I gave myself was to keep the building within the existing O9 footprint so I can switch between the two scales if I want to, so I'm not planning on taking the building any further out, the boys can work in the rain and live with it :D

I recognised that requirement however it's still possible to have an extended roof by using pins on its two supports that slot into holes in your undergrowth,
You could easily extend the platform by building a floor that is supported by the outer wall of the shed and the two roof supports. This again merely covers the undergrowth without altering it for use on the smaller scale.

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:10 am

Ah I think I see now Gerry, (using the pic as a reference) do you mean come out to the side of the building (where the corrugated iron is) to allow a larger building? That way I could put a loading door on there?

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:39 am

Yes, however not a larger building, rather a covered area over an extension to platform built onto the building with the two post supports for extended roof passing through the platform and fitted to baseboard with pins in base of posts.
Thataway I think you could achieve a larger unit without significantly disturbing your existing groundcover.
I use the method of pins in posts to locate the water barrel shelter on Secciole Salina.
Photo here:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=1047

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am

With a lot of recent time being dedicated to getting better (I've had a bad neck for a couple of weeks – better now!) I didn't really have much time to model comfortably – looking down tended to set off a nice bit of pain for hours so it was best just leaving everything until I got better.

Finally I woke up magically cured after a nasty cold came out...bit odd.

Anyway finally moved on to messing with buildings – and messing is the best word to use really – lots of trial and error brought around a new idea for a 'brick' structure instead of a wooden one. Please excuse the pics, my camera sprouted legs and disappeared!

The new building sits with a timber extension on the side – currently borrowing a roof.

Once I was happy the building looked acceptable in its place, I destroyed the back of an art pad to make the roof...I just hope the boy doesn't look for his sketch book any time soon...

So now with a new roof and timber decoration around the top edges, I decided the thin to do was to move on and add some colour.

First without the extension

And then with the extension added.

The wooden part seems to be quite dark at the moment, I'll try to lighten it up before applying any varnish. I intend to add more colour to the timbers of the new building until I am happy – I also forgot to show a shot of the front showing the door!

To finish a shot with the now two painted locos and the chaps in their first coats of colour!

Apart from the shed I have also re-applied the trees as some came loose again, one broke and so I took it apart and added it to the layout as weeds/bushes.

Next project is to attempt to remove the coal pile...

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:49 am

That works, Simon.

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:11 am

8) Cheers Gerry, proper pictures of other new details to come.

Return to “GNine”