Peco electrofrog question

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi folks,

on the underside of a brand new HO/OO Peco Electrofrog point I noticed a good two inches of apparently extraneous wire just sticking out into space. Normally I thought the wire sat in the molded channel and was soldered to the frog at key locations. There seems to have been no attempt to position the wire in the channel...what connections there are seem to have adopted a minimalist approach no longer requiring oodles of wire. I have compared it to other points...some fairly new and others not so new, and they have the wire loop underneath.

If I trim the wire I suspect it will work exactly as it should. I am asking the same question of Peco's tekkies. What do you think? Have Peco a new and cunning Electrofrog point design? Or have I a dud point that got missed in quality control?

:?: :?: :?:
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Electrofrog

Postby Bilco » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi Geoff - I noticed this on the 2 electrofrog points I recently laid. No idea why it's like that, I cut the extraneous length off - and the points still work :roll:
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Haven't seen the new points, do you have photo's of the top and underside?

EDIT!

Just had a look a Google Images, it looks as if the additional length of wire is a pre-attached 'dropper' that goes to the polarity switch. It's there to save having to solder an additional wire to the frog, about time really.

Found This PDF Which also explains it, and shows other mods.
Last edited by More_Cats_Than_Sense on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Postby backwaterscotland » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm

The extra wire is to drop through a hole in the baseboard for wiring to a switch, this allows the frog to be switched rather than relying on the point blades. Basically, saves soldering a wire to the frog.

Andy 8)

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:05 am

Thanks guys,

Peco emailed me back and here is their reply...

"The extra wire is for use should you wish to have a switched frog polarity as shown in diagram 7 of the instruction leaflet. This is especially recommended when used with DCC. If you do not wish to modify the point as per diagram 7, the point can be used as supplied and the wire should be trimmed off level with the end of the sleeper."

:oops:

Of course I had lost the instructions, which being an Australian male made absolutely no difference as I never read them. Come on, you can't in all honesty say that you ever read them! :lol:
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Re: Peco electrofrog question

Postby Glen A » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:42 pm

NotHarryPotter wrote:Of course I had lost the instructions, which being an Australian male made absolutely no difference as I never read them. Come on, you can't in all honesty say that you ever read them! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

No. Instructions are a last resort for after you see smoke coming out. Then you know its probably either broken or almost broken, so you've only got one more chance to get it going :wink: :lol:

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:19 am

G'day Guys
I think that there must be something seriously wrong with me.
I always try to read the instructions.
(Although I do tend to jump over the 'health & safety' warnings)
However there is an increasing tendancy to put instructions on the web, sometimes in the form of videos.
This is not very good if you want to find how to, for example, put your phone into flight mode juast as you board a plane !
Also most of the videos are made by people who seem to have NO idea how to make a good educational video.
I recently purchased a kit for a machine which had no instructions with the kit and only had instructions on the Web. Most of the instructions were for earlier machines which didn't help.
Got so confused and feed-up that although the machine is almost finished it has been put on the back burner till I can gather sufficent enthusiasum to get it finished.
I like the way that Peco include instructions with all there products as they tend to remind me what I should be doing.
(I do tend to forget things real easy now !)

Gets off soapbox and retires to his quiet corner
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Return to “GNine”