Now another fellow falls for GNine

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

Now another fellow falls for GNine

Postby JeffSaxton » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 am

Hello, All;

You are all truly evil! GNine ... so small, so interesting. And if it doesn't work out, there's always O9 or Sn22 (remind me to post pics of my Sn22 Porter airmotor).

So I bought a sheet of 20" x 30" foamcore from the craft store, and then a quantity of Kato set-track from PlazaJapan on eBay ... the trackplan is a simple stretched oval with one point leading to a road outside the loop, and a point leading to another point into a two road area inside the loop. Not sure what to do as far as scenery yet ... first have to build some equipment.

I do have a question on the Kato points (150mm radius, #20-241) as I am unfamiliar with them. They state they are supplied with the points set as power routing, and you can swap them so they are not power routing. I only intend to have "one engine in steam" using a simple DC controller (or even a battery pack) so I don't need anything fancy -- can I just set them to non-routing and use them as manual points?

Thanks!
Last edited by JeffSaxton on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Saxton
I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:14 pm

Can't advise you on the Kato points, but glad you have been seduced by Gnine!

Simon.

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:51 pm

My thought is that the outside line from the loop would lead to a loading area so owners of visiting stock could offload rail equipment from their vehicles, so a small spot to park a truck or trailer.

The inside lines could then be steaming bays or display areas ... I have a Kato 2-8-2 that could easily be re-detailed as a ride-on locomotive ... and numerous diesels for the same treatment.

This Spring, once they open, I shall have to visit and photograph the local 12" gauge line, the "Wabash, Frisco & Pacific".
Jeff Saxton

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Music, photography, travelling, College Football

Postby foswaldy13 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:55 am

Jeff,

I live in the St. Louis area as well and posted a few pics of the WF&P here a few years ago. Great little ride, especially in the fall.

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t= ... ash+frisco
Matt Oswald

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 am

Thank You Matt, I've made a comment on that thread just now.

Here is the little layout on its base. The Kato track is not fixed yet since I'm still trying to figure out the power routing issue -- I'm not good with electricity. Once the track is ready to go down, I'll likely trim the base to an organic shape following the track layout, to eliminate the boring rectangular shape.

As noted, the ground will drop away on the single point road, to allow a truck to back up and unload visiting equipment.

Or, now that I look at it, it reminds me greatly of the original Black Dog Mining layout displays, so perhaps a small privately worked mine site could be devised ...
Jeff Saxton

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:32 am

Looking good Jeff 8)

If you wanted to model a mining concern:
http://www.ukminingventures.com/

And the reason for looking:
http://www.ukminingventures.com/index-mine.htm

Just as an idea for something a little different...although I don't think there are actually many Gnine layouts depicting a pleasure railway yet.

Good luck with it ;)

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to mention about the power-routing, something I have no experience of at all, however I am sure someone will eventually come along who has experience and can help.
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:55 pm

If I understand it properly, the power routing option would allow me to park a locomotive on a siding, dead, until such time as the point was thrown to power the line. In this way, the track layout I have shown could "park" two locomotives, and have one in power. That actually has some merit to the idea of keeping the power routing.
Jeff Saxton

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Jeff,

If the Kato track is like Peco Setrack;- the stuff that comes in starter train sets with dead frogs on the points. Then your understanding is correct and the sidings will be isolated until the point is set to the siding.

Simon.

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Thank You Simon. I'd just set up a few locos and test it out, but the N scale stock has been packed away for over a decade, and I am not sure which box it is in!
Jeff Saxton

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:09 am

I can safely say the "power routing" option does work quite well -- though the cat had much more fun watching the locomotive zip around the oval than I did!
Jeff Saxton

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:11 pm

I think many here have used the Tomix track, I preferred it because of the tighter radius, then they also introduced tramway track, sadly not the points(yet? :( ) .
Terminology relating to points(or switches) is confusing to many. Sounds like Kato have come up with something that combines advantages of British(dead frog/power routing?) and continental where all tracks are live, and malfunctioning point blades don't stop power getting through. I always rewire Peco points to what I assume should be called non-power-routing.
Are the Kato points sprung? I don't think this is the case for the Tomix ones, so suspect Kato ones are same. Both systems are designed for simplicity to put together and then use.
One thing that surprised me was the rail profile not matching other N gauge, so needed OO rail joiners. I used the Peco finescale ones.
How big is the overall size of board, looks like it has potential for both sit back and watch and shunting.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Simon, the Kato points will spring back and forth if they are set against an on-coming train -- but I suspect with the power routing option in place, no train would then run on that line if the points were set against it. The Kato frog is plastic, much like HO points made by Atlas here in the States.

The underside of the Kato points has an enclosed plastic area, so I can't tell what goes on inside them to make them work -- they are powered points, and come with a length of wire and plugs to attach to a Kato box to throw the points, or they can be used manually with the provided sliding throw. To convert them to non-power routing, you move two small screws on the underside to alternate locations, which appear to be all on a PC board.

My baseboard shown above is 508mm x 762mm (Imperial 20" x 30"). I'm still messing with scenic ideas, but know in my mind it will have to be something simple for me to get it completed! I'm horrible for starting baseboards, laying track, then progressing no further due to conflicting ideas on scenery and landforms.
Jeff Saxton

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:30 pm

By amazing coinsidence...I have a 3'x2' board dying for a layout on it...never thought about using something like KATO track to simplify building!
Playing around and modelling:

http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby JeffSaxton » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:35 pm

I can't claim credit for the Kato track idea, it came from the "PG Wood House" thread featured earlier in the Forum.
Jeff Saxton

Return to “GNine”