(F) Meet Gnobby

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

(F) Meet Gnobby

Postby AndyA » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:46 pm

Steve said (of very small gauge lines):

One that does come to mind was a 10 1/4" gauge line at an oil installation on the Hamble River which was used to carry firefighting equipment along a pipeline, closer to home than you might have expected, it might even still be there.

You tease, Steve :)

My wife works at Fawley: presumably the 'Oil Terminal' is BP's one on the opposite bank (Hamble, certainly, but the holders of the very expensive marina berths on the Hamble River would be quick to point out that 'the works' is really on Southampton Water). Fawley still uses firefighting kit that was in place when I worked on 978 and 979 (the two bl**dy great ethylene spheres you see from the Isle of Wight ferry) back in 1973/4, so there's a very good chance that BP still has the stuff in place. Now, who do I know ... ?

I'm apparently commited to modelling (aka caricaturing) the little Pioneer truck from the stores at the prime contractor's place now anyway, though what I'll do with it afterwards is another matter.

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:04 pm

Meet Gnobby

Named for the man who is the arbiter of the order in which one borrows the thing, this is a model of the stores 'Pioneer' truck, adjusted to GNine.

Took about twenty minutes apart from waiting for the paint to dry, the secret of course being that I'd spent an hour on the train working out how to make it as simple as possible.

One Peco chassis (and boy they really don't want you to paint their nice moulding with yellow acrylic), sans buffers et sans repos, with a length of 2mm brass rod bent to form the handle (green our particular one, for some reason), and CA'd into one now-redundant coupler pocket.

Decking: requires an offcut of treadplate sprayed with grey car primer, left over from the as-yet-uncompleted Gnordlys (the stuff I've used claims it's 4mm scale but we've measured several sections at work and it's actually just about spot on for G), plus one wooden coffee stirrer. In true Klaus style, my stirrer was from Pumpkin, but you could substitute a Starbucks one.

Cut a 12" strip of treadplate the width of a wooden coffee stirrer. Cut said stirrer in half, glue treadplate to the top of each half. Cut one piece of plate the length of the chassis. Paint each section all over, then buff the top so that the grey shows through like the scuffing on the real thing. This was not altogether unsuccessful and I may re-do the sections on Gnordlys. Glue the short low section neatly down the centre of the chassis, then use it as a guide to position the other two, so that they overhang the sides and ends of the thing.

It's just about spot on for size of the real thing, the only real difference being that the solid section on the 'prototype' is less than a foot long. SWL would be about one tonne (a cubic yard of gravel, so about six tequila-boxes worth). Others here may disagree, but I reckon that if they did them to run on rails, it looks about right to be a nine inch gauge critter.

Since you can't see the chassis it's a bit of a waste, but using anything shorter would mean modelling the wheels at the front of the real thing and life's just too short.

And yes, it is standing on a custom laid piece of GNine track. I can't get that mine tub out of my head. The sleepers, which are cut in half from the Gn15 ones I'm making the pattern for, are indeed too short for my taste but I worked on the basis that the last piece of real two-foot track I helped lay was based on ex-BR sleepers cut in half.

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind

gnine: less is the gnew more

GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Return to “GNine”