Father and Son Gnine Project

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Father and Son Gnine Project

Postby demaine22 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:24 am

After much deliberation over track plans and scenic location the boy and I decided to plonk track down and worry about the consequences of our actions later. The result was in fact very simple and already more effective than what I have originally planned proving that keeping things simple doesn't have to compromise on the fun-factor of layout construction or operation.

Once the track was laid, and the boy tucked up out the way in bed, the soldering iron came out and within a couple of hours I have polarity switching on the point, an isolating switch for the siding, and, of course, power going to the track.

The next day we 'tested' the layout for a couple of hours...tweaking bits of track here and there and seeing how many wagons we could get behind the loco without any accidents...all nine survived the ordeal with smooth running throughout! The plan allows for an interesting 'sweep' of the train at the front, and although we have not finalised plans, we hope the addition of buildings, fences and assorted foliage will add a little more interest to a flat board.

I guess we are taking quite an organic, almost test-track approach to what we are building here, there are no solid plans for how we want to progress, but I wanted to try some new techniques out with plants, weeds and hedging with regards to scenery and the boy wants to build his own Gnine bits to run – which I fully endorse provided he doesn't glue his fingers together...

More as it happens. 8)
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: Father and Son Gnine Project

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:50 am

demaine22 wrote: power going to the track.

I say 'More power to your elbow!'

How old is said son? It's good to know he is being properly educated into the world of large scale. Just don't take him to any miniature railways or you too could have 5", 7 1/4" or even 2' in the garden! :D

cheers,

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi Stockers,

Boy is 7 going on 13...bursting with enthusiasm though and he's got some good ideas for details I wouldn't have thought of myself. He likes tge 7/8ths kits and bits I have on my shelf - hopefully he'll be happy with that in the garden one day :)

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Good to see you are getting some quality time together, I'm working on an N gauge surprise for my son's birthday next month. Keep us posted on your progress.

Simon.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:45 pm

In some ways I am envious of those who get their children involved. My 2 eldest used to help, at a couple of exhibitions, but the others have shown no interest. Granted I haven't pushed it but they are more interested in fantasy games, computer games and real sport.
In other ways I feel a bit selfish not getting my children interested. Did not help that my IT work kept me away from home for a few years.
Mind you I am member of local club, and we do get a few new people starting in the hobby so the age you start might not matter that much.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Glad to see you've got the layout underway Simon :)
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:33 pm

This weekend, the boy and I began work on the layout's first structure. To get the boy as involved as possible, I asked him to design the building and draw an impression of what he intended it to look like. Together we measured clearances, ideal foot prints and heights – we then made a card sketch-model from scrap bits I hoard in a box upstairs.

Once we had that together, we looked at the layout's size and what else we could get away with adding. It's surprising how less daunting the project now feels with such a simple addition and our next project is to design and mock up a shed for the opposite side of the layout.

My wife took some pics as we worked - I hope to make a photo board or small scrapbook to show people at shows etc - and obviously keep you chaps in the loop ;)

A very enjoyable couple of hours 8)

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Looks to be a good size shed Simon :)

How do you see the outside finish? Plank, brick, rendered?
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks Barry 8)

I see the building finished in stone with a wooden fascia and a tiled roof...hopefully the boy will see it that way too ;)

It's a bit hard not being the boss with this, but more fun at the same time. Saves making any solid plans and allows for quite an organic evolution - I think my original idea for the building was something twice the size and two stories high, so it gives you an idea of how much control I truly have with this :)

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Good to see you are making progress together and that all is going to plan.

Simon.

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:21 pm

Thanks for your comment Simon :)

Below are pics of progress - we have now moved the shed on to a 'final' version constructed from foam board. We hope to carve the stone into that - taking inspiration from Pendre sheds (Boy's idea).

We have started batting around ideas for the smaller shed for the opposite side of the scene, which the boy would like to finish in wood like a traditional shed - I'm happy to oblige :)

The boy is looking forward to scribing and painting, and we were chatting about the possibility of adding lighting to the workshop. I like the idea of doing a detailed interior for it at least! I couldn't really do anything like that for Black Hall as the buildings were removable due to the 'dual scale' idea, so it's nice to get a chance to try something new!

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:08 pm

8) Couple of small developments to report on the layout. First things first the track is now painted matt black over red oxide primer. I think the darkened rails and sleepers suit the peco track, it may give the everything a lighter touch when bedded in etc.
I managed to spray the board and my other little project layout with minimal interruption...but the kids heard rattling and smelt fumes...so came to investigate and as a result, were put to work cleaning the rails.

Tidying up etc was done over a cup of tea in the sun...nice!

The boy and I have also built a new building for the layout to replace the larger foamboard structure mentioned earlier. Sadly once scribed and primed the building began to lose rigidity, and so I re-build a structure and this time clad it in wood, scribed by the boy. I think this will capture a more evocative atmosphere than before I think, nail home the size of these little locos. The shed is a scale 15' x 10' and only requires a roof and detailing...keeps things a lot simpler than before and means more room for grass and gravel...which surely means room for a vehicle of some kind in the centre....:twisted:

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:40 am

Blimey...it's been a while. Little has changed since the last post, other than we had to get the track up and re-laid as things started to fall off thanks to gaps appearing in the track, shunting was also a challenge on the reverse-curve so we have simplified the layout significantly.

So now we can press on with ground work and maybe even developing the shed above a little further. The idea is to take this to MOMING'15 at Pewsey so we have time to procrastinate...:twisted:

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:43 am

Looks like a wonder family project! Looking forward to further progress.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:29 pm

keeping it simple is always best plan, but how about adding a working wagon turntable at end of siding.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G and Gn15.

Postby Chris18 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:14 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:keeping it simple is always best plan, but how about adding a working wagon turntable at end of siding.

And what kind of turntable? Maybe these ones:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p=117376#117376
All we are is dust in the wind...
Chris

My favorite place in the world:
http://www.bellevue-cottage.com/en/index.html

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:52 am

rue_d_etropal wrote:keeping it simple is always best plan, but how about adding a working wagon turntable at end of siding.

8) I won't lie I'm tempted, I was when I saw your post in the trade section too, but I am saving up for something and that needs to come first ;) Hopefully in the new year!

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:46 pm

I love this bit!
Yup, grass is growing, I hear that bushes will follow and that the ballast will be washed with various acrylics in the coming weeks 8)

Bit of waffle on the blog about the details, quite simple stuff really, here's to a creative and healthy 2015 chaps and chappettes!

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:48 pm

Bonus pic - adding more grass tonight 8)

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:03 am

Nice to see some progress Si :D

Simon.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:25 pm

demaine22 wrote:I love this bit!
Yup, grass is growing, I hear that bushes will follow and that the ballast will be washed with various acrylics in the coming weeks 8)

Bit of waffle on the blog about the details, quite simple stuff really, here's to a creative and healthy 2015 chaps and chappettes!

That is great grass! How did you do it? I did read your blog but it is unclear which brand and how it was applied. Is the plastic bottle as effective as electrostatic machines?
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:07 pm

Cheers Si, at this rate I may have something to show in August...

Thanks for your interest Doc, I use fibres from here: http://www.internationalmodels.net/acat ... Tufts.html

They are puffed out of a Noch puffer bottle, onto a thin layer of white glue white sits on top of a light layer of green scatter material, mostly the fibres stand pretty well from the bottle but I find working with a vacuum afterwards tends to improve them and offer more control. Once your happy, hairspray seals the deal :)

Really hope that doesn't sound as complicated as I made it! Let me know if you want clarification chap and I'll try to work the words out in my head first ;)

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:56 pm

demaine22 wrote:Cheers Si, at this rate I may have something to show in August...

Thanks for your interest Doc, I use fibres from here: http://www.internationalmodels.net/acat ... Tufts.html

They are puffed out of a Noch puffer bottle, onto a thin layer of white glue white sits on top of a light layer of green scatter material, mostly the fibres stand pretty well from the bottle but I find working with a vacuum afterwards tends to improve them and offer more control. Once your happy, hairspray seals the deal :)

Really hope that doesn't sound as complicated as I made it! Let me know if you want clarification chap and I'll try to work the words out in my head first ;)

Thanks! That explanation really helps.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:58 am

Last post was January! Not on your nelly!!! :twisted:

in all seriousness I have spent a little while away from the things i enjoy, for the simple reason that I wasn't enjoying them. Probably a light bit of depression brought on by lack of sleep (we had a baby last July) and 'winter blues'. That being said, I'm back to walking 3 miles a day with the dog, some jogging and more importantly modelling, so the next update may not be some long in-coming :)

Pics of progress featuring the re-decorated play room!

So the grass is nearly done, as can be seen here, we need to tidy the ballast and surrounding areas.

One of my favourite shots of the layout so-far...I prefer the building facing this way too, looks a little more natural to me.

And here I can imagine some junk and bits behind the shed, perhaps a fueling area? Or a littel outdoor workbench maybe?

Lester navigating the complex route...

I'm thinking I am going to slap the kiln on here too, with or without the little shed is to be seen, though.

Grass is sooooooo near to complete it is untrue, i think there is a small area you can see in the pics then we're ready to tidy up and move on to other things! As you can see with the pics, the playroom is now white, making photography a breeze, even with a humble iPhone.

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 modeling after Hayward Estate RR

Postby Larry C. » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:23 pm

Really nice looking layout. Great to see a father and son project, that's what memories are made of. I especially like the grass, it looks so real. Great job.

Return to “GNine”