I have found myself in the mood for some Gnine-ing about and felt the urge to build something new, below is progress of a card sketch-model for a new locomotive, which will be put to work on the Demaine & Son layout…and another project I have been slowly planning in the background too.
I have used the underframe from the Gnine-a-mite, which I decided I wasn’t happy with. I stripped away the bonnet to keep for a generator wagon, and scrapped what remained. The underframe is built for use with a Bachmann Plymouth chassis, which I have finally re-aquired after frying my old one a week or so before MOMING last year! If it were not for the help of Mr Bennett that day I’d have been scuppered! This chassis is my preferred choice for shunting, in my experience it out-performs the little KATO, but then it is double the price…
Back to the loco, I drew the original bonnet shape in illustrator, as I wanted something a bit different – I’m debating whether this locomotive will be battery or I/C powered – I guess we’ll see as it develops. The whole model seen here is built with scrap card, some of it is laminated to add strength, and it is a tough little beast even now.
Here, sat next to a Sidelines Tiny, the little engine’s size is revealed to be in good proportion and consistent with the other Gnine items I have which is a bonus! First try too! That was enough for one evening, course work was calling.
The next evening after walking the dog and a brief run, I had taken some time to think about what I wanted to try next, so I sat at my desk and bit the metaphorical bullet.
I have always wanted a cabbed loco, and although the scale/gauge combination makes it a bit of a challenge to maintain a locomotives dignity by adding a cab, my previous attempts have usually resulted in something resembling a caricature of an engine rather than a genuine little workhorse for my industrial little line. I think this time, adding width to the cab body has helped, and I have actually made it too tall if you notice, Eddie is sat in there with plenty of headroom, so I will be amending this in the final version of the model. Below is another comparison shot with the Tiny to show how everything scales up.
I have another figure in mind to take place in the cab, so I may need to shave a few mm off the bonnet to allow room in the cab for his larger back-side! I need to see what the cab looks like fully enclosed as I would prefer this, so I’ll update as work progresses.