A new Gnine loco

G scale on 9mm track? Are you mad? If so, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: ian holmes

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

A new Gnine loco

Postby demaine22 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Hello chaps 8),

I have found myself in the mood for some Gnine-ing about and felt the urge to build something new, below is progress of a card sketch-model for a new locomotive, which will be put to work on the Demaine & Son layout…and another project I have been slowly planning in the background too.

I have used the underframe from the Gnine-a-mite, which I decided I wasn’t happy with. I stripped away the bonnet to keep for a generator wagon, and scrapped what remained. The underframe is built for use with a Bachmann Plymouth chassis, which I have finally re-aquired after frying my old one a week or so before MOMING last year! If it were not for the help of Mr Bennett that day I’d have been scuppered! This chassis is my preferred choice for shunting, in my experience it out-performs the little KATO, but then it is double the price…

Back to the loco, I drew the original bonnet shape in illustrator, as I wanted something a bit different – I’m debating whether this locomotive will be battery or I/C powered – I guess we’ll see as it develops. The whole model seen here is built with scrap card, some of it is laminated to add strength, and it is a tough little beast even now.

Here, sat next to a Sidelines Tiny, the little engine’s size is revealed to be in good proportion and consistent with the other Gnine items I have which is a bonus! First try too! That was enough for one evening, course work was calling.

The next evening after walking the dog and a brief run, I had taken some time to think about what I wanted to try next, so I sat at my desk and bit the metaphorical bullet.

I have always wanted a cabbed loco, and although the scale/gauge combination makes it a bit of a challenge to maintain a locomotives dignity by adding a cab, my previous attempts have usually resulted in something resembling a caricature of an engine rather than a genuine little workhorse for my industrial little line. I think this time, adding width to the cab body has helped, and I have actually made it too tall if you notice, Eddie is sat in there with plenty of headroom, so I will be amending this in the final version of the model. Below is another comparison shot with the Tiny to show how everything scales up.

I have another figure in mind to take place in the cab, so I may need to shave a few mm off the bonnet to allow room in the cab for his larger back-side! I need to see what the cab looks like fully enclosed as I would prefer this, so I’ll update as work progresses.
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:59 pm

The new loco looks good. As you are working in card I think its worth the additional effort to lower the cab at this stage of the build.

In the future finding an alternative driver figure who is sitting in a more crouched position would be helpful for future builds.

Simon.

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks Simon,

This is only a card sketch model, so I will alter the cab height when I next sit to work on this - that way I can get a more accurate final model when it comes to slicing up plastic sheet!

The only reason 'Eddie' is sat in there is because he was slim enough to fit. I am actually hoping to get Schomberg's Hank in there, surgery allowing of course... his buddy 'Red' will be in a the guards van ;) Sadly his bum is presently too deep...

I'd be interested in seeing a close up of your cabbed loco at some point if I may? 8)

lenelg
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge, logging

Re: cabbed version

Postby lenelg » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:02 am

I think part of the problem with adding a cab to this chassis is that it is so short. If you compare with cabless versions most drivers seem to be seated with their bum back over the end beam. As your cab looks now, there is very Little room for Eddie to move around and access his control levers.

So either lengthen the sideframes a few mm and move the bonnet forward, shorten the bonnet, or allow the cab to extend over the end beam?
Lennart Elg

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:52 am

Thanks for your feedback Lennart,

What I have decided to do is cheat a little. Some time ago, I remember seeing a miniature diesel, built to a similar gauge but it was fantastically small, it was a wonder how the driver got it! Now I can't force my poor figures to bend their knees as we can in real life, so my chosen figure has been into the surgery for cosmetic changes. I have drawn up a new design of loco which now has a lower cab and still looks passable as a miniature working locomotive as well. I just need to get the bits together and I will update :)

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby demaine22 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:22 pm

I have now started a-fresh using Colin Peake's 1/24 scale Lister model as inspiration. Well I have taken cues from the design and construction method at any rate...I'll hopefully get more done over the next couple of evenings between Uni work and training. :roll:

[/img]

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:10 am

Looks very promising Si :D

Simon.

Return to “GNine”