Swopping gauge for old stuff.

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Cycle touring, Garden Railways, Motorcycling, Gn15 and 7/8" scale.

Swopping gauge for old stuff.

Postby Bill Reynolds » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 pm

I read with interest regarding 7/8th or 1.12th scale on 'oo' gauge track as I have arrived at a 'scale crossroad', so to speak. I don't need to scratch build any more rolling stock and my garden railway is a bit past its 'sell by' date. I was considering doing a Gn18 version of what is in my garden but then I saw some of the articles on here about 7/8th on 00 track. Questions...Would the rolling stock look odd with such narrow track and is the track powered or not? The idea of using 00 track for 7/8th scale means tight curves and a base board that is not too big, plus the track turnouts will be a lot cheaper.
Bill Reynolds..... Amalgamated Conserves....Our jam's are wonderfull...(try a spoon!)

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: Swopping gauge for old stuff.

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Bill,

Whilst it could be battery powered, and thus perhaps R/C too, track powered is perhaps the most likely and cheapest option.

Any locos and stock would be considerably smaller than what you have running, regauging would definitely not suit, if that was what you were considering.

Cheers,

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Bill Reynolds » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks Chris, Converting my 7/8th stuff was not on my mind as I hope to join a local model engineering club with a far, far better track than what's in my garden! ...No, I would be starting afresh. one thing made me debate about 7/8ths on 00 track is the over hang as regards to the wagon/track. If one''s line is supposed to be a comercial company it would want maximum profit. A wagon with a over hang that tips over on a bend chucking stuff everywhere equals no profit! Maybe Gn18 it a more realistic choice that would work in the real and this world.
Bill Reynolds..... Amalgamated Conserves....Our jam's are wonderfull...(try a spoon!)

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:01 pm

These days I lean more to 1/12 scale, meaning 16.5mm gauge is a fairly good approximation for 7 1/4” full size. Locos and stock up to 28” wide run perfectly well on 7 1/4”, allowing relatively wide stock to be modelled if you wish.

Cheers,

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Bill Reynolds » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 pm

Chris, just wondering but was there ever a proper real railway operating on 7 1/4 trackage and operating for profit?

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:31 am

Hi Bill,

I'll assume you're meaning industrial as opposed to the many passenger carrying miniature railway, in which case the only one that comes to mind is the Wolds Way Lavender Company. Their 7 1/4" line both takes visitors around the farm but is also used to assist with brining in the lavender harvested for processing.

It's featured quite a few times in here. Try this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9332&p=122575&hilit=wolds#p122575

Cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 pm

Go up a gauge or so to 10 1/4” and there was the Shillingstone line, more here

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/grahamallen/ ... rticle.pdf

Cheers,

Return to “Size doesn't matter”