What Scale is my Layout

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways/Modelling

What Scale is my Layout

Postby Mike Lee » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:57 pm

I have a Small French 7mm Narrow Gauge layout, Emley-Sous-Bois, that has been invited to Birtley Model Railway Exhibition next year. The track I have used is Peco O-16.5 so technically the Scale of the Layout should be Oe. However not very accurate but Emley-sous-Bois uses the O-16.5 mm track to represent a Fictitious Meter Gauge Railway. Birtley MRC want to know what scale the layout is, I was going to put Om-16.5 :?:

Just curious as to what scale other people would say the layout is :?: :?:
Mike Lee

You should always go to the last one first!
You should cross all your bridges before you come to them!
Life is too short for counting rivets!
What happened to things that you dropped before Newton discovered Gravity?

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:13 pm

On16.5? Specify in the layout description what you are trying to represent. There was a layout called Murphy's Quay that used16.5 to represent Irish 3 ft gauge, but I cannot remember how the builder described it.

Simon.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:32 pm

best to specify scale(1/43.5), gauge(16.5?) and prototype gauge(3ft) if it is relevant.
As an aside, I am planning a metre gauge layout using 16.5mm gauge, but in 1/55 scale.Still not as accurate as using 18mm gauge but I prefer to use cheap reliable mechanisms.
I also model 60cm gauge in 1/35 using 16.5mm gauge and that is only getting through to those writing the exhibition guides. I have seen other similar scaled layouts listed as O scale. Unfortunately many(probably most) don't understand anything beyond OO, N an O gauge. Narrow gauge isn't even on the radar. I try to educate them though.
O scale 3ft/16.5mm gauge, I do remember many years ago, one group/club building a large layout using this, mainly because of availability of track and chassis. There stil isn't much 21mm gauge around. Pity as it would serve both O scale 3ft gauge and 4mm scale, 5ft 3in gauge.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:59 am

Mike , I think I would just call it "French 0 scale Narrow Gauge. Any thing more complicated than that just confuses most exhibition visitors (and the dyed in wool 00 exhibitors!)

I used to get the same sort of problem when exhibiting my US prototype 1:48 scale 0n2 (1/2" gauge) and 0n3 (3/4" gauge) layouts. Seemed to spend a lot of time at shows just explaining scale & gauge!

Trev.
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:20 pm

When I exhibit, I consider I am not just there to entertain, but also to educate. There is far too much muddling between the words 'scale' and 'gauge', so personally I would say "scale- 1/43.5, prototype gauge - 3ft".

I really should get a sign made for my WW1 layout, next outing is not till March. Will consider making a sign on layout which is going to exhibition in December. Practice what I preach. :roll:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Comme ça?
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:41 pm

As Trevor suggests; Scale O gauge for benefit of the MRC. Then a info panel for audience (scale, model gauge and prototype gauge) as Bilco has done.

Simon.

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Mike Lee » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks Guys

I think they want the 'scale of the layout' to put next to the title when they list the layouts that will be appearing! i.e.

Emley-Sous-Bois (Om-16.5)
Othmar Yard (HO)
Dodileat Manor (OO6.5)
Frogpool (O)
Pixash Lane & Twig Street (OO)
Longmoor (N)
Hookwood (EM)
Horse Creek (HO)

I have a couple of lines to describe the layout to put in the Programme, which was going to be the following:

Emley-Sous-Bois is a 7mm, 1-43.5 Scale, Narrow Gauge Layout set in the Esterel Forest in the South of France, it depicts the terminus station of a wooded branch line, part of a fictitious Meter Gauge Railway, the Lingostiere (Nice)-Saint-Raphael, (LSR).
Mike Lee

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:03 pm

Snappy titles don't do our hobby any good. Exhibition managers often need educating on terminology. I sometimes have to look at exhibition listings to see if there is anything to interest me, and I know it is also a concern of magazine editors, as they often get complaints when they have listed inaccurate info in their magazines.
I will have to start a campaign to have the terms gauge and scale legally defined, as it not only insults our language but mathematics. :lol:

Just had a look round, and found that Pempoul by Gordon Gravett is described as 1/50th scale, 18.2mm gauge, and Christopher Payne describes some of his layouts as 1/25th scale, 16.5mm gauge. No mention of prototype gauge in exhibition details. So describe Emley-Sous-Bois as 1/43.5 scale, 16.5mm gauge. Also I am very interested in any French narrow gauge so any chance of a photo?
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Emley-Sous-Bois Photo's

Postby Mike Lee » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:21 am

Simon

I have never got round to registering with any of the Photo Web Sites, consequently my photo's are to large to use on this site.

Also the layout is only about 90% complete (to what I want). At the moment the background trees are photo's, these are being replaced by flock/foliage trees. However the layout is more than acceptable to be exhibited in its present condition (and in fact has been).

I can email some photo's if you/somebody could then add them to this site?
Mike Lee

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: Emley-Sous-Bois Photo's

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:37 am

Mike Lee wrote:Simon

I have never got round to registering with any of the Photo Web Sites, consequently my photo's are to large to use on this site.

Download xnview (free) Mike. You can then reduce size and use the Gn15.info photo loading system.
I've used xnview for years after recommendation from SteveB.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Any photos I show here are reduced in size using nothing more than Windows Paint. Maybe a bit crude, but good enough to view on forum.
I also have my own web-space(paid for) mainly for my website but also a convenient place to store photos to show on forums. I tend to distrust free web-space given what has happened to some in the past.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Mike Lee » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:04 pm

I have started a new file of Emley-Sous-Bois and with a 'Great Lack of Understanding' managed to post some photo's, I hope :idea: :D :idea:
Mike Lee

Return to “Size doesn't matter”