Houstoun Gate Locomotive Works

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Houstoun Gate Locomotive Works

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sun May 17, 2015 1:12 am

Fellow modellers,

I was having a look at the Houstoun Gate locomotive works MDF kits which are a real bargain, 19:75 for a four wheel drive chassis and 9:75 for the cab body kit. Here's the result of my first attempt:

The chassis kit contains motor, switch, battery holder and wheels. It has recently been updated with additional spring detail. The box like structure can be embellished with additional detail. I decided to alter the radiator to make it look more rounded, but by using a half dowel, you could make it look quite "Rustonesque". HGLW supply a choice of 32mm of 45mm gauges. This example is 32mm to represent 2ft at 166mm scale. Radio control will come soon.
A simple and fun kit and I highly recommend them to anyone who's think of 16mm garden railways.
Cheers,
Mark

Simon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Re: Houstoun Gate Locomotive Works

Postby Simon » Sun May 17, 2015 8:11 am

Looks really good - that's the old Busted Bricks one isn't it? I've one of the early chassis under my steam rail car thingy and despite mine being the 2wd it does go well.

The body, out of the box, is fairly basic but your example shows how it makes a really good basis for upgrading into a very nice model.

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Sun May 17, 2015 8:24 am

Very nice customizing work. Looks great! :D
cheers
Geoff
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Mon May 18, 2015 5:21 am

Simon and Geoff,

Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, I believe the original kit was made by Busted Bricks who sold the rights to them to David Hippey at Houstoun Gate Locomotive works. The improved detail chassis really enhances the model for me. The body has been improved with deeper buffer beams. They have also improved the detail on their box van. The other selling point is the potential for battery powered remote control - direct radio control !. Have a look at this youtube link, and see if you can recognise the chassis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drxH1UMhcmc

When I looked at the HGLW "Everyman" kit range, I thought they were excellent value for money. I've nearly finished one of their flat wagons, another great simple design (12:95). When looking at the size, the length of these models is not much bigger than a medium size OO tank engine and the cost is a great deal cheaper. The cost of the loco body was 9:75 and the detailed deluxe chassis was 25:00. So for 34:75 you get a 16mm battery powered loco - a real bargain. Here's the link to the HGLW website: http://www.eagleassist.com/hglw/Locos.html

I now have to work out how to obtain 32mm NG track here in Canada.
I did have great fun building both kits. I used Vellejo Acrylic/Polyurethane primer to seal the MDF.
Cheers,
Mark

Laroche
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Laroche » Wed May 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Hello there !
Very nice critter. Well done.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu May 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Wow! I wish they made them in 1/2" scale so we could use them for GN15.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Sun May 31, 2015 4:18 pm

They are great kits - here's my version bashed to 7/8th (1/12th)

Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook..

Laroche
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Laroche » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:52 am

Nice work too ! :D

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi Folks,

I decided to make a few improvements. Smaller hatch handles, grills on side panels, number plates, horns on cab roof and a bit of a dusting with the air-brush.

This is a battery powered loco and it will eventually be radio controlled using products from "Deltang" (R61-22/T22). Here's a link to the Deltang site:
http://www.deltang.co.uk/trains.htm

That's it for now,
Best regards,
Mark

Simon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Simon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:03 pm

Really nice. :P

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:34 pm

Gorgeous. I am still thinking how to modify it to 1/2" scale for GN15. Cut the width, cut the height, anything else that may work? It might be worth a try. Crazy? I'll think I will order one and the chassis. I did write to them asking the same thing.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:37 pm

Hi Dave,

What impresses me with the HGLW kit is its simplicity and incredible value for money. I'm a keen GN15 fan, but when I've looked at the size of the loco and the flat truck, it doesn't take up much more room. I'm thinking about doing a quarry scene indoors using 12' by 2' baseboard, with the loco(s) battery powered and radio controlled.
Cheers,
Mark

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:41 pm

My small diesels average 70+/-10 mm in length. That beautiful model is about 2X that length and much wider. I have asked them about scaling those kits to about 1/2" size since it should not be a major undertaking. Scale the plans, adjust the laser a bit, and perhaps use somewhat thinner plywood. I hate to change scales again as I have modeled in 7/8 and regular g scale. I'm too old to change again! :oops: What size track would you use?
David (Doc)
Oh yeah, I too have switched to Deltang radio for everything. I hate trying to get current through tracks.
Last edited by docnjoj on Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:00 am

Hi David,

For GN 15 I prefer Peco ON30 (UK O 16.5). Its HO gauge (16.5mm) but with 7mm (US 1/4") sleepers (ties). For the HGLW I prefer the SM32mm narrow gauge track. Have you tried working with styrene sheet? I like this material as it is easy to work with, it can be welded (the adhesive is a solvent and welds the plastic together). It's also waterproof. I thought of making the HGLW loco from styrene, but the price of the MDF bodyline kit is such good value, its not worth the time and effort to cut out the shape in styrene.
Good luck,Mark

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:15 pm

I've been doing models for over 60 years so I've tried it all. Plastic is OK, but I love the feel of working with laser cut ply. They do aircraft models this way now and dollhouses too. Cyano rules here and you can sand to smooth finish. Wood isn't so good for details but the ones you show here could disprove my concerns. The owner of the company wrote back and says that he may get a Spud and try out some of the GN15 suggestions. It seems to me that one can reduce the drawings on the computer, maybe use thinner plywood and be up and running fairly quickly with smaller models. I know Boulder Valley in the US and that great company in Britain, Backwoods Miniatures do laser/wood models, just not for 1/2"scale or GN15..
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Return to “Size doesn't matter”