18in gauge on 24mm track

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

18in gauge on 24mm track

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:04 pm

I am sure this has been suggested before, but when I saw a mention on the 16mm scale forum,of using 24mm gauge to represent 18in gauge in 16mm/ft scale, I got thinking.
Could I produce track 3D printed inset track(possible mixed gauge), and yes I can. I stalled as I was looking for a supply of 24mm gauge wheels. Then tonight I remembered to check a cheap plastic trainset I had got a couple(+) years ago, and the gauge is 24mm. Some bogies from the wagons, and I should be able to do something. The loco in the set is battery operated so not sure about that, but battery is better than nothing. Thats something else on my list to do.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Re: 18in gauge on 24mm track

Postby tebee » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:22 pm

I'm think about having a play in this scale myself - I have some 16mm scale stuff I did for someone else and I could quite easily narrow it to 24mm. I have 3d printed wheels I can use that just fit pain 2mm axles, so I can mount them a bit nearer. Got a lot of gash Ho code 100 track I can salvage rail from and relay to 24mm.

Now just have to work out how to build a 24mm gauge mechanism.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:08 pm

apart from the battery operated unit I have, and I could possibly use that, but would prefer track powered, I have in the past tried longer axles wheels on old Triang motor chassis. I did re-wheel an old Triang motor bogie with O gauge wagon wheels. I never got round to finishing it, no pickups, but as far as I remember the motor still ran OK. I had to hacksaw off the bogie sides. In fact I think it was the old dock shunter, and I was planning a small O gauge shunter using much of the body as well. The old Hornby 040(USA) tank loco with square axles can be stretched/extended, but is only single axle drive.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Postby henrix72se » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Why not go for Fn18 ? 1/20.3 on 22.4mm gauge track (S scale std gauge)

"In principal" G scale and you have SLM online hole range of figures, not to mention all figures made for Car collectors.

Where do you find wheels and motor chassis for 24mm gauge ... ?

In my scale I use either S scale locos, or specially ordered from example Bernard Snoodyk.

Henrik
Last edited by henrix72se on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Postby henrix72se » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:16 pm

Since I am using RCC solder my own track is rather straight forward as in no need to isolate the rails. If not, S scale track is available ready made, so is wheels and bogies. With each second sleeper removed as we already do in Gn15 the effect and work is the same.

Henrik
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

DCRFAN 3
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:21 pm

You can slide wheels to any gauge with appropriate length axles. You may recall these motor bogies I had made to a non standard gauge.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8695&p=105626&hilit=wickham+rhodesian#p105626

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:30 pm

any scale/gauge combination is possible, but there are at least a couple of modellers doing in in 1/19 on 24mm gauge. 1/19 as most will know is 16mm/ft and is therefore extremely well served for accessories. I got the impression that the Binnie wagons could be supplied with 24mm gauge wheels(probably a special only to those who beg)
By coincidence I found I had an old trainset which is 24mm gauge.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:22 pm

And I've now done a version of my RAR/Sand Hutton chassis for 24 mm gauge

To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:53 pm

and here is the completed chassis

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby henrix72se » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:57 pm

Looks great !!

We should have a like button here as NGRM has.. :P

Henrik

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:53 pm

That really looks great. Do you plan to sell the wheels too? And what about GN15?
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:51 am

There is an existing Gn15 version already - this was an enlargement of it - In fact I've now got 5 Gn15 versions ! At Shapeways I do it in 1:24 and 1:27.5 scales each in two versions. For WSF I do them in one piece, but for FUD it to be three like this one as otherwise there is not enough flexibility to get the wheels in. I do a home printed version in 1:27.5 - will put something on about this in Trade Matters later. I could do it in 1:24 too, but this would need somewhat of a re-design if I am to avoid the sides getting very thick.

Wheels are a failed print I did for a 7/8 scale skip - they were fine, but the scaled up RP25 flanges were too fine for garden railway use. They will be fine for this which is intended for indoor use. Can put on Shapeways if people are interested.

I have tried some home printed wheels of the right type for this - they conversely would be fine for garden use, but a little course in this case. Will get some pics up later.

Tom

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:43 am

I personally prefer a metal wheel as it adds weight low down. Having said that I have that cheap trainset which is 24mm gauge so if I do anything will use that. I will obviously have to do more work on my 24mm gauge track.
Lack of flexibility is not just a 3D printed issue. Getting wheels in and out of some Coopercraft SM32 wagons can be tricky. Thinking of which some of those could easily be modified for 24mm gauge. Just need something motorized. An idea for 3D printing might be a simple chassis block, into which wheels axle and motor can just be clipped into. It could then be used for either batter or track power so care would be need selection size of motor.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:35 pm

I think having weight and having it low down matters less in these larger scales - The reason I originally went with 3d printed wheels was because I couldn't get the right pattern for these - 5 cast spoke on a flat solid disk. I'd probably go for Binne wheels if I was making a production run of these - they are as cheap as I can make them and better quality

This is my attempt at making the right sort of wheel.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:29 pm

I found with some skip wagons, that they ran a lot better with metal wheels. Granted my track laying leaves something to be desired, but it was Faller E-train track, and I was getting the occasional derailment before I changed the wheels, Might have also been that I had not got axle boxes quite lined up as well. The nice heavy metal wheels did cure the problem though. Some of the plastic 'toy' trains I have have very deep flanges which help.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Size doesn't matter”