Portable track and wheels for 0-16,5 scale

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Portable track and wheels for 0-16,5 scale

Postby KEG » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:16 am

Might be useful for modellers working in smaller scales

http://ralf-mit-f.com/3d-i-did-it-again

and

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/atelier3d

Very good looking material and very well presented.

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Re: Portable track and wheels for 0-16,5 scale

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:27 pm

interesting, but I tend to turn off when people say WSF is no good for serious models.
It is not the material but the wrong model for the wrong person. Many people are happy with WSF, but they don't tend to shout about it.
Also the strength of WSF makes it suitable for items which might get damaged easily like track. I was amazed my 10cm radius sleepered curve actually worked , as I had heard people had problems using FUD plastic.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:57 am

It is not the material but the wrong model for the wrong person

Well, at least the designer seems to know what he is talking about and can illustrate his point of view with sharp pictures.

Very often I have the impression, many designers marketing their products via internet forums (fora) have never touched or worked with their own designs. - Still they claim to be experts and tend to pirate and spoil every thread in reach to mention their own (Shapeway) products.

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Juergen,
I have been using my own designs since I started, so know what works and what does not for my designs. I am sure the designs you were initially talking about are superb, but what I did not like was the comment saying that WSF was 'not for serious modelling'. That unfortunately is not correct, and might put some off the material. It is possibly just a slip of the tongue, but does not come over very well. Granted that is my opinion, but I am trying to redress the imbalance caused by some who might not have used the material like I have.
Interestingly nylon is now being introduced to the home 3D printing market . Every material has its uses, and is better for some things than others. I have followed threads on other forums concerning various types of plastic for 3D printing, and for what I am doing, WSF is the best., My track needs a strong and flexible plastic, not something that will break easily.

Unfortunately there have not been many articles in the model railway press about 3D printing, and it is still a big mystery to most people. When I show my track and models to people, most people are amazed. It is a pity that photographs often highlight some of the deficiencies of 3D printing, which are not as obvious to the naked eye.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Return to “Size doesn't matter”