Radio Control - a first adventure

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Radio Control - a first adventure

Postby RoGNer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:50 am

I recently obtained a 16mm narrow gauge diesel loco from ebay that had been made from Mamod parts and had a small battery powered radio control unit.
It looked ok but it really did not like my Mamod track outside and promptly fell off the track at any slight hint of a curve. The radio control was a bit hit and miss too - all in all rather a disappointing episode. I took the loco and controller along to my local railway model shop and had it looked at by a radio control expert (more with aircraft, but he liked a challenge).
The chap sorted it out and the loco now ran much better He had added a re-chargeable battery pack et cetera too.
The Loco still fell off the track though... Bah!

Fed up now, i stripped it all down and salvaged the motor and radio control side of things and set to work with the idea of creating my version of the Talyllyn "Old No 5" in 1/12th, or 7/8ths if you like, but to run on the Mamod track. (15" gauge roughly)

Another change of idea, as i rather do like the Wingrove & Rogers / BEV / Clayton type battery mine locos that used to be used in great numbers once. Finally though i decided on a petrol engined type "no frills" little workhorse (still in 7/8ths) with a Ruston type feel.

I purchased a Houston Gate Loco Works chassis, found some some balsa wood and coffee stirrers and plasti card and set to work building. Here' s a few pictures as it progressed and one taken outside yesterday, on its first proper run.

And it stays on the track all the time!

Roger

Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook..

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Re: Radio Control - a first adventure

Postby RoGNer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:56 am

Roger

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:14 pm

That is definitely lookin good. Is the track HO gauge or O gauge (32mm)?
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby RoGNer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks. :D

The track is Mamod - 32mm (o gauge). So works out as 15" gauge prototype at 1/12th - perfect!

I like the Mamod track and points. I know it has its limitations but i like it. :D
I've had an oval and a siding laid outside for a few years now, fixed with epoxy in places and some grit/ballast. The points get a drop of oil. It's on top of a base of a former concrete coal bunker at about 3' off the ground - ideal height to pull up a chair to sit and watch. I used a couple of rattle cans of paint (Halfords stuff) to paint the otherwise all black rails and sleepers.

Cheers
Roger
Last edited by RoGNer on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:22 pm

That is a neat critter Roger. Nice job! Isn't radio great? Love it!

Could you post a picture of an example of the battery loco you like please? I'm not sure what those look like. I like battery locos.

Also, let's see the layout sometime. Sounds like fun.
Ken

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:13 pm

RoGNer wrote:The track is Mamod - 32mm (o gauge). So works out as 15" gauge prototype, roughly, at 1/12th.

Actually, if one takes 0 gauge track as being an Imperial 1 1/4" then it's exactly right for 15" at 1/12 scale.

That bit of pedantry aside it looks a very pleasing little loco.

As to Mamod track - that's what is used on the Timpdon layout, and it has whacking great Vale of Rheidol locos trundling happily around its 2' 6" curves and through the rather basic points.

More about Timpdon here: http://www.timpdon.co.uk/timpdon/tlr/index.htm

Cheers,

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby RoGNer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:13 pm

Thanks Ken and Stockers. :)

I've got quite a bit of Mamod track and 3 more sets of points (yet to be painted) which (in my mind) are like Jubilee track panels.
I'm doing a show in July and with a 6' table provided, I intend to "throw down" the track with a few sidings, do a spot of Inglenook shunting with playing cards/tiddlywinks determining the waggon order et cetera. After a while, take up the track and throw down a new "layout" and go shunting again! Really looking forward to it and with the small radio control unit fitting in my hand, i could stand with the punters and surprise them!!

Cheers
Roger

www.facebook.com/leabaileylightrailway

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby RoGNer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:19 pm

Nevadablue wrote:
Could you post a picture of an example of the battery loco you like please? I'm not sure what those look like. I like battery locos.

Hi Ken
A Wingrove & Rogers battery loco WR5

Image WR8

Roger

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:03 pm

I prefer simple things, but in latest 16mm association magazine someone has found an ultra cheap radio controlled device which he modified to run trains.
link on ebay here
ultra cheap control

if that link disappears just search on 'RF Wireless Remote Switch Controller Dimmer for Mini LED Strip Light', hich is what I have just done to find an example.
I like the idea, but know from experience that complex electronics have a habit of going wrong at wrong time. I have shown the article to friends, and one thought was that finding the right handset might be a problem if you had several.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:42 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:I prefer simple things, but in latest 16mm association magazine someone has found an ultra cheap radio controlled device which he modified to run trains.
link on ebay here
ultra cheap control

if that link disappears just search on 'RF Wireless Remote Switch Controller Dimmer for Mini LED Strip Light', hich is what I have just done to find an example.
I like the idea, but know from experience that complex electronics have a habit of going wrong at wrong time. I have shown the article to friends, and one thought was that finding the right handset might be a problem if you had several.

I would love to see that article to find out what modifications are needed. If it has any range at all, this could be a R/C breakthrough. With 12 amps possible, any train could be driven.
otherDoc
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:51 pm

Thanks for the pic of the loco. I remember it now.

Hmmm... I wonder if that RC would work for a turntable. hmmm... 8)
Ken

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby RoGNer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:01 pm

The r/c unit i have is by "Peter Spoerer Model Engineers" it says "Spoerer TX-20 Regulator" on it and "Deltang Technology".
I had not heard of this unit before (hence A First Adventure!) nor have read any reviews et cetera on Peter Spoerer equipment - anyone care to comment?

Cheers
Roger

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:44 pm

Roger,
Where did you get the radio gear? I use Deltang equipment and he has been very helpful. The TX20 sounds like one of his. Maybe the other guy assembles David's kits? I would send David an email and ask for help. He has been VERY helpful to me. He frequents Freerails and there's a thread there that he watches.
Ken

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby RoGNer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi Ken
The little "regulator" unit came with the loco that i bought via ebay.
It works perfectly well at the moment - very responsive and the unit in the motor controls the loco speed down to a crawl.
According to the chap who looked at it for me, when i first got the loco and control, its very basic but it does the job, and that's good enough for me!
I don't need any help with it but thanks for the information.

i found this link www.peterspoerermodelengineers.com

Roger

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:20 am

but in latest 16mm association magazine someone has found an ultra cheap radio controlled device which he modified to run trains.

Which issue are you talking about? (I know, its the latest. But what if I happen to read this thread in a year or two? Where can I get a copy. Or at least a copy of the article mentioned.

I hate it, when folks mention things, without including a useful link or at least, can write about personal experience with the products mentioned.

After all, we all heard of and tried cheap RC solutions. In most cases, they do not work the way, we expect them to work for our needs.

Personally I am quite happy now with the various Deltang RC products in my Gn 15, 16mm and 7 / 8th locos.

Have fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:01 pm

the date of the post should give anyone a clear idea what is latest issue. as it is a association magazine , non members probably have not got access unless they know a member. Still easier than links to online forums which require passwords and being a member, even to read, as one NG forum insists, so I refuse to join.
I had better not mention the excellent special edition booklet from Narrow Gauge Society about monorails.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby RoGNer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:48 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:I had better not mention the excellent special edition booklet from Narrow Gauge Society about monorails.

Indeed - what a great booklet AND the "Robert Hudson Ltd, 1915 Light Railway Material" book too! :shock:
Fantastic! That's my weekend reading sorted AND i'm off to the Fairbourne Railway as well. :D :D (and Corris and Bala Lake)

Cheers all

Roger

NFBrown
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Colorado On3, HOn3 and Gn15. Maybe even minimum gauge in 1/12th scale.

Postby NFBrown » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:29 pm

A link to an article about using an RC LED dimmer to run trains can be found on the Dead Rail Society site. http://trainelectronics.com/Articles/Ra ... /index.htm

I think I may try it in 1/12th and maybe in Gn15 if it's small enough.

Nick

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:27 pm

it sounds interesting, and similar to article I read. Suspect the reversing method will be similar, when next mag comes out. The unit is smaller than the one shown in this linked article though.
Thing is, it should be easy for someone to make something based on this as a proper commercial RC unit for model trains.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:32 pm

NFBrown wrote:A link to an article about using an RC LED dimmer to run trains can be found on the Dead Rail Society site. http://trainelectronics.com/Articles/Ra ... /index.htm

I think I may try it in 1/12th and maybe in Gn15 if it's small enough.

Nick

Thank you for that. :)
Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:40 am

after doing a google/ebay search I think there might actually be some plug and play/control devices out there. Might be worth talking to RC shops, as what I saw looked as small as the modified LED ones. With RC I would be happier with something built properly, especially as it can affect other devices nearby, hence the regulation of radio frequencies. Not trying to put a damper on idea, but safety is most important and re-inventing the wheel could be a waste of time.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Size doesn't matter”