Model Earth Budget wagons.

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Model Earth Budget wagons.

Postby KEG » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:52 am

Simon Harris from Model Earth recently introduced a flatcar Resin kit for a budget price. A complete, including wheels, for only 15 Brit. Pounds. Compare this price and quality with that, of the various 3-D printed offerings.

An amzing quality and very easy to assemble. No problem for modifications or add ons.

Loaded some old LGB oil drums on a stripwood frame and built some end boards from 4 mm cardboard and some Ozark nut & bolt castings.

More pictures at http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1802
and over at the SE Lounge Forum.

Have Fun

Juergen

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: Model Earth Budget wagons.

Postby KEG » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:46 am

Two more of the ModelEarth Budget Wagons. One with roundend boards, the other with one plank sideboards.The local kittens realized, there is swamp dragon food inside those sacks.

The local Hobbitt also grabbed one of the sacks.

Have Fun

Juergen

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:14 am

Not a fair comparison with 3D printing as these are big models.

For at least 25 years now, I have bought and built kits made in different technologies.
Regarding the 3 D models, mainly in various "G"-Scales, including Gn15, in almost all of the cases I had to spend time and money to add details like nut and bolts castings plus many more details, simply because the designers omitted them.

So please show me a complete 3 D printed Gn15 kit, fully detailed, in the 20 Brit Pounds price range.

There is a lot of poor but overpriced 3 D printings offered these days. This turns the potential customers off. I will take a long time, to repair the damage done to the 3 D market by these kind of offerings. I know that there are some excellent 3 D models offered in various scales, but a lot of rubbish as well.

I am always curious to learn about new technologies. If they offer affordable quality, I will think of embracing them. A friend of mine recently bought a 3 D printer and his first 7 / 8th attemps look very promising. http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1840

So until he goes professional, I will order me some more ModelEarth Budget kits. I don´t lnow, if I still will be around in 5 years. But until then, I simply want to enjoy and play with good quality toys.

Have Fun

Juergen

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Great looking wagons (and I don't merely say that 'cos Si Harris who owns Model Earth is a friend).

I'm not quite sure when it happened, but his resin casting is now a pressure rather than vacuum process. This has enabled him to keep prices very competitive as there is a much higher success rate for every casting attempt.

Here's a quote I dragged up off the web: 'The compressor is then turned on and the mold and resin are subjected to 60 psi pressure until the resin gels. The bubbles are collapsed into solution and the result is a bubble free casting. The pressure casting method is commonly used by professional prototype model makers who cannot tolerate a single bubble.'

If I might gently disagree a touch with your statement Simon: I go and get a standard gauge 'fix' at the Gauge 0 Guild annual Jamboree in Telford (it makes a refreshing change from my more typical narrow gauge diet) and I also attend a variety of 16mm and similar scale shows. In both these areas at least, the range of products, including kits, from an ever increasing number of suppliers, often 'one man bands', is still steadily growing.

Cheers,

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:52 pm

Interesting to see new technology being used for resin casting, but still wonder if it will be as popular in 5 years, given the way 3D printing is going.

Yet annother one of my threads is getting derailed by someone, who can´t stop to pirate every thread to promote 3 D printing. I tend to give up to publish something in this forum.

Most people know, what is possible in 3 D printing. Some even can afford to buy it.
Sorry, I am not interested in spiral staircases at the moment.

It is September 2016 . I don´t care, what will be possible in 5 years. I buy and build right now. and I hope tomorrow as well. If somebody has 3 D prints available which can compete the Model Earth quality and price of the Budget Series, please show them. If not, simply don´t interfere. Stand back and admire!

Have Fun

Juergen

Carlo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: figures, microlayouts

Postby Carlo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:52 pm

Well said, Juergen/KEG!
Carlo

Return to “Size doesn't matter”