(F) The Sands are still Shifting -- O9

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

(F) The Sands are still Shifting -- O9

Postby Colin Peake » Sun May 14, 2006 11:58 am

Just a quick update on Shifting Sands. Things are (as ever) slowly progressing with both layout and stock. The Ice Cream kiosk is now complete.

The Kirklees diesel 'Jay' has now reached the primer stage (again). Just to let you all in on a little secret, the model has been extensively rebuilt to adjust some dimensional errors in the original build. The original build had reached the stage of being spray painted into black/yellow/red.

Other projects are ongoing, however I have decided to try and concentrate on modelling and only publish the results when things are completed, hopefully this may hide the fact that at times I work very slowly.
Last edited by Colin Peake on Mon May 15, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:57 pm

I thought I would add a few pictures of the dunes:

This is the dunes and path before the grass application, the dunes are very fine sand, held in place with both PVA and Matt Medium. I have dusted them with MIG 'Beach Sand' weathering powder to create colour alterations.

The left hand end of the dunes with grass in place. The grass is Silfor 'Grass Tufts', I used a lighter shade towards the back to give the effect of distance. All the grass is dry brushed with lighter colours to tone it down to match the hanging basket liner grass elsewhere.

The path across the dunes, I weathered this using watercolour washes and some dry brushing of acrylics. When the backscene is in place the effect of depth here should be quite good (if I do say so myself!)

The end of the line. I decided to have less growth in this area, as if it were a 'blow out' in the dunes. I was also running out of tufts, there is almost £10 worth on there as it is!
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:46 am

I've tried to resist the temptation to post this glimpse ahead, but I've had to give in:

The loco is almost there, just a couple of jobs left to do!
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:16 am

The Silfor clumps came from International Models, as did the MIG weathering powder 'Beach Sand'.
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:47 pm

Ok, had a look at the photos from the camera and found a few useable ones. So here's a snapshot of life at Shifting Sands:

Distant beach huts.

A wooden building that hides the rods to change the points from the back of the board.

The Ice Cream Parlor forecourt, awaiting benches!

The station buildings, fencing still to be added.

Close-up of the ticket hut.

The caravan.
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:13 pm

Just to update things a little, Shifting Sands has survived it's first exhibition with only a broken point operating rod to contend with. As described in the thread on transport of portable layouts, the exhibition set-up looked like this:

Picking up on another recent thread, I 'created' a fictional history for the Somerthorpe Miniature Railway, which was displayed on the front of the layout during the show....

"The popular Lincolnshire seaside town of Somerthorpe lies somewhere between Cleethorpes and Mablethorpe. The south end of the resort is home to the town’s leisure activities, caravan parks and also the 15 inch gauge Somerthorpe Miniature Railway.

The SMR starts close to the hustle and bustle of the amusement arcades, gift shops and cafes at ‘Promenade ‘ station. From here the line runs south past the boating lake, paddling pool and crazy golf course. After the mid-way stop at ‘Beach Halt’ there is a passing loop and the line then swings inland past the Funland amusement park, to terminate by the sand dunes at an area known locally as ‘Shifting Sands’.

The railway was built in the post war period when holidays were still taken at the British seaside. Although the line was originally operated by steam locomotives the then owner modernised the line in the late 1960s with internal combustion power. The advent of cheap package holidays abroad was starting to affect the local tourism economy and the SMR passed into the control of the local council in the mid 1970s. The council operated the line uneventfully until the early 1990s, by which time the railway was in a run-down state, with only a limited amount of rolling stock in use.

Change came in the mid 1990s when a group of local enthusiasts took over the line, adding more rolling stock and locomotives. It even proved possible to return steam motive power to the line, with one of the original locomotives rescued from a garage further down the coast and the loan of a steam tram locomotive. The group have many plans for the future to develop further additions for the Somerthorpe Miniature Railway."

We were lucky to have a visting loco for the weekend, 'Robin Hood' is a Bo-Bo diesel I built some time ago and later sold on. It's new owner was keen for it to stretch it's legs so it made a flying visit:

I tried to take some photos during the show but most did not turn out to well. I did however get a chance to photograph the most awkward corner of the layout:

Closer inspection of the sign for Funland shows that two Gnatterbox members have set up in business here:

There will be further developments in due course, watch this thread!!
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:47 pm

Nice painting on the backscene too; you've got that spot on

It's not actually a painting, just made to look like one :D The sea is from a photo I took in the summer, tinkered with in photoshop to look like a painting, whilst the beach huts are from a painting I bought for the sole purpose of scanning the beach huts for the backscene!

All the best,
Colin Peake

Return to “Size doesn't matter”