(F) "Super Heywood" loco

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Simon Moore
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow and Minimum Gauge Railways, Rock music, Militaria… all sorts

(F) "Super Heywood" loco

Postby Simon Moore » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:36 pm

As most Gn15 scale models are based around industrial prototypes this new thread might not take off, but consider this never built loco designed by Henry Greenly. The 'Super Heywood':

My drawing is based on the one found in M.Smither's book on Heywood. The tender and various details have been guestimated using pictures of River Esk.

This 2-6-2 was designed as a freight locomotive, not only for Eskdale valley goods but also as a replacement for the Heywoods on the stone traffic. It was to be built to massive proportions, the boiler being of a similar size to conteporary 2ft gauge locos. The design was never built, which is a shame as it is very comparable with today's Northern Rock and at the time would have been a welcome addition to the Ratty's fleet. I am planning build the loco in O9, but I thought I would post the drawings should someone want to build a Gn15 'Super Heywood'.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:02 pm

Nice drawing, what a monster it would have been. The styling is so typical of Greenly's designs, it has always looked like River Esk on steroids to me, even though it has less wheels, of course. It would make an impressive model in O9, let alone in Gn15. Thanks for sharing it and don't be shy about posting pics of the model when you build it, maybe the wrong scale but we are pretty flexible around here.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:27 pm

Talking of impressive models, one of our forum members who stays pretty much in the background has asked if I would like to add some pics of his O scale model to this thread. No hesitation, it's gorgeous, so come on Andrew, show yourself and take the praise it deserves:

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:16 am

We'll have to encourage Andrew to take some more. It is O9, the chassis is a new-generation Graham Farrish 8F with a Minitrix trailing truck added. There are various parts from an Airfix 'Schools' kit in there too, I don't know where he gets ideas like that ...
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

andrew blackwell
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Minimum gauge, Narrow gauge, Mountain biking

Postby andrew blackwell » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:51 am

It evolved really, by trial & error, though I did also make a CAD drawing towards the end to assist in how certain things would look. To begin with it was going to be more like Northern Rock in profile, and I got as far as building the cab etc. Funnily enough, once I saw the Greenly freight loco pic in Smithers' book, that was what changed my decision to make it more greenly-like in design.

Mostly the loco is built of styrene, but safety valves, cab sides and tender use cut down bits from the Airfix Harrow kit as Colin mentions (Colin's and Steve's modelling methods have been insipration to me). Other items included are smokebox, turned down dome, cut and reattached chimney, cylinders, buffers, tender steps, all coming from a Chivers "Campbeltown 0-6-2" white metal kit.

The styrene boiler is full of liquid lead, and coupled with the new Farish chassis, makes it a pretty good runner.

The "Northern Rock" cab is now being put to use as I've begun a 2-6-2 along the same lines, but more narrow gauge in outline. Bit like Sian when at BVR and CCLR with the square windows. Might take some pics of "in progress" on this one.

Bye for now
Andrew
Last edited by andrew blackwell on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Size doesn't matter”