(F) O9/O-16.5 Industrial Corner Layout

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

(F) O9/O-16.5 Industrial Corner Layout

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:31 am

OK, here are some pictures of my O9/O-16.5 layout in a box that my brother and I built about 15 years ago. Set nowhere in particular in the early Sixties, it depicts the odd corner that you find in all old industrial complexes. The figures were painted by my brother using acrylics and inks as he was into Dungeons & Dragons at the time and spent a lot of time painting Orcs & Kobbold Guards! I tried to create a cluttered effect without turning it into a junkyard.

It has been exhibited, and was intended to show what could be done in a small space. The kids liked it, but I made sure that they didn't look into the workshop at the back 8)

More photo's can be found here: - http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m248 ... %20Layout/
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:07 pm

The turnout is a 16.5/9mm gauge diverging turnout, was a bit of a shoehorn to get it in, but as there are no moving parts, once it was in, it doesn't go wrong! 8)

The O-16.5 track goes straight, a Wrightlines Simplex goes across it no problem. The O9 curves off to the left, the O9 stock follows the curve (if pulled) with no problems. It's code 70 rail on copperclad sleepers as is all the 16.5, the 9mm is Peco 009 crazy track
Barry Weston

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:32 pm

I seem to remember it took about 8-10 months to build, off and on. As I have an interest in electricty (I'm an electrical engineer), I just had to add the sockets, conduits, fuse boxes, and light switches, along with the distribution pillar and the cables on the outside of the walls, something that you see a lot of in industrial complexes. The electric fire is built from tinplate and fuse wire. The plug and socket is a square of tinplate with a dab of solder filed roughly to shape, as is the light switch. Did you spot the guy having a crafty leak in the corner behind the fence? :D
Barry Weston

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:29 pm

Now, the way to clutter it up, is to fill it with loco's........ 8)

The real emarassing thing is I didn't notice the wonky front buffer on Wren, even when I painted it! :oops:
Barry Weston

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Fri May 25, 2007 6:24 pm

I do still have the locos, the two Beyer-Peacock 0-4-0's are Springside whitemetal Kits on Ibertren Cuckoo chassis, built as per the instructions, using two-part epoxy. I do have another unmade one sitting on my shelf awaiting construction, which is I think a saddle tank one. The Hudson-Hunslet is a whitemetal kit on a Tenshodo block, again built as per the instructions, but built is such a way that it came apart for painting. The Yorkshire 0-4-0DE is a OO gauge DJH whitemetal kit that I built several years ago for use on a small layout. When I changed scales from 4mm to 7mm I kept it and modified it into the form you see in the photos for use as a narrow gauge loco.

We (my brother and I) built it to show that you don't need a big space to use a large scale, a sort of forerunner to what Gn15 promotes with the pizza layouts really.
Barry Weston

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat May 26, 2007 11:05 am

The mechanisms to fit the Springside loco kits are produced for Avalon Line by Mike Chinery, which perform beautifully and it gives a much better balanced loco than the Ibertren Cuckoo mechanism the kit was designed to use. You can see more on Mike's chassis here http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=1915 though not the one we are talking about for the Sprinside kits, which is built to the same high standards.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Ryan
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Ryan » Sat May 26, 2007 3:44 pm

No im quite happy to go along with your view :D Another thing to add to the shopping list then :wink:

Return to “Size doesn't matter”