(F) Steam to the Sands -- O9

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

(F) Steam to the Sands -- O9

Postby Colin Peake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:26 pm

With the exhibition appearance of Shifting Sands rapidly approaching I started to get gitters about the loco fleet, currently there are three 4w diesels, the steam tram, and a the bogie diesel held as 'reserve'. I felt that the public might better relate to the layout if there was a steam loco of more conventional appearance.

I had bought a Bachmann US 2-6-2 some time ago as a basis for a Kirklees Badger-like loco, I even got as far as a experimental 0-6-4 conversion of the chassis. However time wasn't on my side so I opted for the quick 'temporary' job to satisfy the need for a conventional horizontal boilered steam loco in time for the exhibition, just something to re-enforce the fact that this is a 'miniature' railway.

This is how it looked when bought (I'll admit this isn't the actual loco I bought, this is one I sold on earlier in the year!):

I have made the following modifications:
  • Longer cab to hide the motor;
  • New front pilot and proper wheel on front pony;
  • Rebuilt running plates;
  • New air pump and tank on tender (whitemetal castings);
  • New handrails;
  • Rebuilt tender with driver's seat and footwell;
  • Modified loco-tender coupling;
  • De-mobbed Preiser Luftwaffe ground man as driver;

The idea has been to create something that could have been built in the 1950s or 60s before the trend moved towards larger locos such as Northern Rock.

The loco now looks like this:

Some may remember I had previously rebuilt a broken example of this model as a static loco, however that has had a few parts robbed from it to make this model. I now have several spare parts, who knows what will happen to them :D

Oh, and a 0-6-0 version of the chassis arrived last week, and I still have the 0-6-4 conversion parts....

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:52 am

Well, just a quick update. I finally fitted the couplings to the loco last night, which soon revealed a problem. I found that the loco couldn't actually pull a train around the curve at Shifting Sands! It was also slipping in other places. Having added a tiny bit more weight adhesion wasn't improved, so I tried the loco without the tender and it soon became obvious the tender was the problem.

Having removed the dragging pick-up wheels on the tender and replaced with standard wheelsets things were no better, and I eventually realised that the problem was actually in the way I had rebuilt the drawbar in such a way that there was no flexibility between loco and tender. So this morning it was back to the workbench to sort it out. Even with only a temporary connection the loco runs a lot better now, I just need to somehow reinstate pick-up connections and repaint the driver's footwell to hide my mess!! :shock:

Colin
Colin Peake

http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

Steam on the Sands

Postby Catweasel » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:30 am

I really like the way this project is coming along.I found this loco in the 1910 Bagnall cat and thought it could be a nice loco for the Sands.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

Return to “Size doesn't matter”