(F) Bodger and Badger -- O9

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

(F) Bodger and Badger -- O9

Postby Colin Peake » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:34 pm

I'll admit that I've been suffering a little from 'modellers block' of late, I can't really settle on any one project and actually doing something seems like oo much effort.

In order to fill some otherwise wasted time I decided to have a look into modelling the Kirklees Light Railway's 'Badger', a nifty little 0-6-4, a project I have had in mind for a while.

From a drawing I obtained via that nice Mr Hippo I figured a Bachmann US chassis would just do the trick with a little tweaking the dimensions of the real thing. However, I re-scaled the drawing wrongly and ended up with a loco too narrow and too short. I decided I re-do the parts that need correction rather than start again, it seemed easier at the time.... definately a case of bodging :roll:

So here we are, I still hesitate to call this anything other than an 'advance mock-up' at the moment, as I am still undecided as to whether this is the way to go, I'm not too happy about the way it looks out of balance due to the inside frames (rather than the outside frames of the prototype) and I'm also not really sure it is the 'right' loco for Shifting Sands, it does still cry out "OO9" when on the layout, and I want the layout to stand out as being something different!

I might mock-up my alternative plan of a steam outline loco and see how that goes....
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:44 am

Firstly, thanks to everyone for their kind words about this project. As some of you *may* have picked up, I have had one or two niggles about this model, mostly due to my determination to actually get it as close to prototype as possible! There is also an issue with lack of strength in the cab footplate that would need to be addressed if I go any further, I don't really want to be taking the drawbar pull through bits that won't hold up!

Sadly, to those who suggested extending the axles for outside frames and cranks, this is not a possibility with this chassis as the wheels are stubs on a plastic centre 'axle' containing the gears. Even if longer axles were a possibility, I would doubt my ability to actually set up cranks and quartering etc :roll:

For the spectacles around the cab windows I will explain all! I started by marking and pilot drilling the approx centre point of the window. I then increased the size of the drilled hole to the largest bit I could fit in a hand vice. This wasn't big enough so I then resorted to a paper punch.... but I digress.

I then cut 1mm rings of an appropriate size Plastruct tube. I made sure that one face was flat, the other is not quite so critical. I then used liquid styrene cement to fix these into place in the exact position of the brass rings on the prototype. They need to be left to set solid. Usually my impatience would have me attack them half an hour later, but luckily it was bed time!

The next day I carefully carved out the hole to the inner edge of the ring of tube, finishing it off using a small rat tail file to get exactly into the shape of the tube. I then carefully filed down the face of the tube to approx 10-15 thou thick from the cab front. Hey presto, instant spectacle plates!

If there is one element of this loco I am really proud of that is it, and worth the effort to develop the technique. Unfortunately I cannot easily apply it retrospectively, it would look good on my tram engine.....

We shall see if it goes any further. I might leave it for now, go and do something else and come back to it after Christmas. Looking at the photos in the fresh light of day has made me realise that the bodged cab sides won't do the job, even with plenty of filler, and the bunker profile is slightly off. I usually end up taking 6 months on a 'prototypical' scratchbuild, so who knows, maybe at Burton the finished item may make an appearance?
Colin Peake

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:11 pm

:idea: I think you can still buy extended axle inserts from Paul Windle or Meridian Models. They did brass cranks as well :wink:

Simon.

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:11 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting this reply and the quality of the pictures :oops:
The above shows a standard Bachmann chassis and one with cosmetic extended axles.
The effect is achieved by removing the plastic wheel insert by removing the coupling rods and then re-inserting the screw and tightening it (this eases the insert out of the stub axle wheel). The extended axles are simply brass tube of the appropriate internal diameter fixed over the central boss with cranks fashoned from brass sheet. As I said earlier Meridian models produced brass inserts for both the 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 and a selection of brass cranks to make the conversion even easier.

I hope to have a look at one of the new Bachmann 0-6-0 chassis this weekend at a 009 society show in Taunton and will let you know if the conversion is still possible.

Regards
Simon

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:52 am

Thanks Simon. I can forsee one problem from your description, in that the newer chassis doesn't have screws to hold the coupling rods in place, but pins!

Anyway, where were we? Oh yes, frustration! Over Christmas I 'threw together' something around Bodger's boiler and a Dapol pug kit cab, which was going to be a 0-6-2T in 009 to finish off and sell. The best laid plans etc... I made the mistake of taking a photo of it on Shifting Sands to show a few friends for their opinion.

From their feedback I realised that perhaps with a taller new cab it might just work in O9. It never got that far, despite a doodle for an Exmoor design I eventually realised that the cab could be made into a representation of that on the R&ER's 'Bonnie Dundee' in it's tank engine form with cab back in place. At the same time I converted the loco to a 2-6-2 to give it more presence. I trial fitted some Preiser 1/48th figures into the cab to see how they looked:

So far so good so I have added a chimney and dome (Meridian and Langley):

There is still a fair way to go, I have sourced several other parts from my bits boxes, namely a smokebox door handle, whistle, air tanks, lamps etc.

For anyone interested in the trailing truck, here's my bodge job:

This is sprung and is a Bachmann wheel running in a brass tube, the pivot is a length of brass wire and swing is restricted by the bolt.

Thanks to all those who have contributed so far, you know who you are :wink:
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:17 pm

Adding the chimney and dome make a huge difference to the appearance Colin. Very nicely proportioned, hopefully you are happy with it now.

Oh yes! Very happy with it now... I must be, I've spent most of the day adding details. Lots of bolt heads on the bufferbeams, and rivets on the smokebox, cab roof and front running plate. Smokebox door details, tank fillers, coal bunker rails (Peco N gauge coke wagon extensions), a sliding hatch on the cab roof, injector and pipes(soldered up from brass) and whistle (more soldering!).

Still to add are the air pump (Markits) and air tanks, plus some more pipework.

Then I've just got to paint it!!
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:07 pm

Due to the mix of influences working titles have included 'Bonnie Foxmore' and 'Badger Dundee' (he's Croc's lesser known cousin).....

However, there are a set of plates for 'Pandora' that look about the right size, so that will probably be the name.

Livery is likely to be dark green or maroon, depending on how the mood takes the gaffer....
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:19 pm

Slow progress today, managed to solder up the smokebox door handle (an old Colin Ashby part) and the air pump (Markits - a pig to solder):

Closer view of the pump, still need to clean up the joins:

Just the other visible bits of the air system to go, plus a few other odd jobs and then the paintshop may be only around the corner....
Colin Peake

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Simon Andrews » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:23 pm

I received some replacement wheel sets from Paul Windle today in the post. Talking to Paul on the phone about O/S frames for the Bachmann, he was of the opinion that it is fairly straight forward on the older 0-6-0s ( those with stub axles, the new 0-6-0 chassis has more conventional wheel sets and traction tyres on the centre wheels, these are harder to modify due to quartering).

I have had no luck yet with the Meridian wheel inserts and cranks but will try at Shepton Mallet later this month.

I have also found an article in the 009 News on modifying the Bachmann chassis and if all goes well will give it a go in the future.

Simon

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:48 pm

Thought I'd better update this thread with a progress picture. I rarely like to show pictures of models halfway through painting, they never seem to come out to well.

So here we are, the Crimson vote gets it:

There isn't too much to do, name and number plates need fitting, varnishing and then adding all the little bits that I've left off until after painting.

However, I need to ask a aquestion - should I line her out (in yellow)? Part of me wants to but part of me doesn't want to run the risk of a bodge. Lining would be by transfers, if that makes any difference!

In other news the American 2-6-2 has been brought into work for a light overhaul... watch this space...
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:05 am

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments, very much appreciated by the works staff at the SMR :wink:

As for the lining: Why not doing the obvious? I.e. adding the lining on the photograph on your computer, first. Thus, you can test as well various colours as different designs of the lining.

Now why didn't I think of that?!

Here goes.... Yellow lining:

Cream lining:

I have indicated the colour and shape of name and number plates to give an idea of end result. I must admit I do like the effect the lining has, it's just a case of whether I can do it neatly enough with transfers to look OK.

For those who have asked, the model breaks down into boiler/smokebox/front end and tanks/cab modules, with the cab roof also seperate. The parts will be joined after varnishing and before adding the fiddly bits. The loco was primed using a red oxide acrylic car primer and then sprayed maroon using another car acrylic - I masked off the smokebox and front end off first to avoid clogging up the bolt head details. Once that was dry I brush painted the bufferbeams and then masked off and painted the black areas (actually a mix of black/grey/brown). Most brushed areas needed 2 or three coats to get full coverage. To be honest it has taken a while to get to this stage as I have not had too much time lately. Slowly getting there though...
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:51 pm

Looks like I'll be ordering yellow lining from Fox come payday then... :D

I think I've sub-conciously copied 'Mountaineer's lining.
Exmoor tend to line out in one go too, seen on 'Markeaton Lady':

However, I have probably made life harder for myself by not edging panels in black and having a stonking great bit over the cab cutout! I would line the panels of the tank side and cab side separately but there is a slight mis-match between the top of the tank and bottom of cab cutout so it would look a little odd!

We shall see...
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:15 pm

OK, so it's been a month since I updated this thread and to be honst most of that time the loco was sat in the paintshop awaiting a decision about lining. After a botched experiment with a lining pen and not wanting to struggle with transfers, the end result is unlined. However I feel that this looks OK on a loco so small, I was keen to avoid overdoing it and ruining the atmosphere of the layout.

So here's a snap by the works photographer of the (almost) complete loco. Hopefully by the time the official photographer arrives at the weekend she will be fully complete (there's just a touch of light weathering to do).

Thanks to those who have helped this project along.

Hopefully by the time the official photographer comes the SMR will also have their new coaches ready for pictures, and perhaps a suprise.....
Colin Peake

Return to “Size doesn't matter”