(F) Steam Outline Diesel -- O9

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

(F) Steam Outline Diesel -- O9

Postby Colin Peake » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:06 pm

The folks down at Somerthorpe Miniature Railway left this lying on the workbench of the Shifting Sands workshop before they went for their Christmas break:

Apparently it is a design proposal for a steam outline diesel, built on an old steam chassis they have at the back of the shops which "isn't doing much". I have queried the design with the gaffer, who told me that the long rear overhang "will be OK", and as proof showed me this picture of the loco they built up the road on an old Severn Lamb chassis:

I commented that it wasn't the greatest steam outline loco ever built by any means, but I took his point. To be fair, the overhang is about as long as that on 'Jay' so it might be OK. Apparently they want to get a move on with this project and it might even start to appear between Christmas and the New Year!

We shall see....

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

andrew blackwell
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Minimum gauge, Narrow gauge, Mountain biking

Postby andrew blackwell » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:42 am

Colin,
I like that you've included grilles on the tank sides like Guest's Clara.
To emphasise it as a fake even more, why not have a mesh smokebox, or a few more louvres on the tank sides, just in case people don't realise its actually meant to look fake.

Also I've never seen that WFR loco ( I'm guessing its Windmill Farm Railway). A nice design. Any more details? Looks like a Guest inspired cowcatcher on there.

Andrew
Last edited by andrew blackwell on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:26 am

andrew blackwell wrote:Colin,
As usual, I'm with you all the way on the new design.

Thanks Andrew! I had considered a mesh smokebox but I think that might spoil the look a little. I'm thinking of leaving the top of the tanks flat right across the 'boiler', that might give the game away :lol: I think I may try to put some vents under the smokebox door, plus the obligitory 'Diesel' filler cap! Removeable panels on the side tank are usually a good indication of a i/c loco too!

The Windmill Farm Railway loco started life as the first Rio Grande at Cleethorpes, later being rebuilt with a taller body. It was then rebuilt again with a Lister diesel engine in the loco, with the new bodywork built in the CCLR workshop. To be honest, I've never liked the way the 'smokebox' was done, I think it needed to be higher to reach the top of the box formed by the body. I have some photos of it half built somewhere.... The cowcatcher must have been added at Windmill Farm, and looks like it may be a standard Severn Lamb one, Austin Moss has plenty of bits from these locos!

Seasons Greetings,

Colin
Colin Peake

andrew blackwell
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Minimum gauge, Narrow gauge, Mountain biking

Postby andrew blackwell » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:03 am

Colin,
Unboltable tank sides sound like a good means of giving the game away.

I see your point about the smokebox door position being too low.
Never mind, it adds to the character of these steam outlines. The RER's Pretender was probably the worst ever effort to make a i/c loco look like a steamer; didn't even have much of a smokebox door. Somehow it added to its charm, and I think it was a shame they changed it to its current form.

Andrew
Last edited by andrew blackwell on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Re: Steam Outline Diesel

Postby Colin Peake » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:09 pm

DCRfan wrote:Far be it for me to second guess your gaffer :P but I fear he is understating the potential difficulties using model couplers versus the long coupler bar the picture shows. You may recall the length of the coupler mount I had to put onto my Waitakere loco due to the long chassis overhang.

Hmm, good point Paul, this may call for some investigation! To be fair though the Micro-Trains couplers are fairly tolerant of the curves on Shifting Sands, so hopefully it won't be a problem. As with Jay, which has a similar overhang, they will be mounted proud of the headstock, so with any luck it might work. It is the same chassis I had been building 'Bodger' on which would have had a similar distance between the back driving wheel and back of the bunker, as I doubt my trailing bogie would have made any difference at all!!

Colin
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:50 pm

Well the best laid plans etc etc....

The gaffer returned from the pub on boxing day with a sketch on the back of an envelope for something that looked vaguely like one of the Cleethorpes Severn Lambs about ten years ago:

Concerns have been raised about the overhang of the cab, but he seems to think it will be OK....

However, there may yet be mutiny in the ranks, reports are coming in of a trailing truck being knocked up in the carraige shed, plus other wild ideas we'll not get into here.... :roll:

Colin
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:32 am

Just to draw a line under this one for now, this is as far as the steam outline project got:

The boiler is the Bachmann original, the cab is scratchbuilt.

However, this project is now suspended, see the Bodger and Badger thread to see why.... Don't worry though, plans are in hand for a steam outline loco in the future....

Colin
Colin Peake

Return to “Size doesn't matter”