(F) Great coupler idea!

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

michik
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: paper models, comix, cats ...oh, and railways!

(F) Great coupler idea!

Postby michik » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:17 pm

I've had some thoughts on the couplers recently. I've tested a possible solution, and, hey, it did work quite well! So it's probably not precipitate to show it here:

The couplers would have to cope with two nasty s-curves of 15 cm radius without any intermediate straight section (->http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=1984). The offset of two vehicles with a wheel base of 10 mm, and a loa of 60 mm in that s-curve calculates to 5.4 mm.The loop of the coupler has to be at least twice as wide on the inside. Actually, I've chosen 12 mm, to be on the safe side.

The couplers are semi-automatic, i.e., coupling takes place automatically, but uncoupling has to be done manually.

I should note that automatic coupling in the middle of the s-curve will still be quite impossible, because the wagons have some considerable play within the tracks, and pushed they will turn to the curve's outside, naturally. Currently I tend to live with this little inconvenience instead of making an even wider loop, but that's not final, yet (and designing a wider loop is not the big issue, after all).

The buffer is a strip of pine wood, measuring 10 x 4 x 3 mm. There's a groove for the loop's bearing cut in on the backside, 6 mm wide and about 0.4 mm deep. The bearing is a strip of cardboard, glued tightly around a 0.8 mm brass rod. The loop is bend from 0.5 mm brass. The coupler pin is 0.8 mm brass and the iron bandage is a strip of cardboard, for production couplers it will, of course, run around the whole buffer, and will be "attached" to the buffer beam with picturesque nuts.

Locomotives will get either a buffer with only a pin, or the usual couplerpockets with a suitable link.

Michi
ROMANES EVNT DOMVS!

...and don't drop the banana!

michik
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: paper models, comix, cats ...oh, and railways!

Postby michik » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:59 pm

I've been pondering about the decoupling levers for a while, now.
It seems to me that they are useful only if the levers point towards the operator. If you'd turn the wagon on the track, and the lever is on the backside (as seen from the operators point of view), an uncoupling lever will be no advantage anymore, or am I completely on the wrong track?

As a consequence, one would have to put a coupler loop only on one end of a wagon (unless both levers point to the same side of the wagon). Otherwise, the loop with the lever pointing away from the operator may lie below the other loop, and, as a consequence, may not be uncoupled easily.

The other 'unless' is, of course, that you give up the one piece loop and lever, and use a rod that runs with levers on both sides of the wagon with the actual loop soldered to.

This all is of course only theory, and I'd really like to know the opinion of people who have experience on this subject (i.e., especially Peter).

Michi
ROMANES EVNT DOMVS!

...and don't drop the banana!

Peter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Irish Music, Maps, Eaton Hall and Sand Hutton

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:44 pm

I think I can explain this with a diagram better then I can with words.

By mounting the rigs in this way you insure that there is always an uncoupling lever on whatever side you need one.
Failure is just success rounded down.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:55 pm

I dont think I would recommend a handle on the side for uncoupling on 9mm gauge, it is not really stable enough.

I would suggest a simple tool to lift the loops. Here is one I use, just a piece of wire in the end of an old paintbrush.

Best to make more than one, I can never remember where I left it last time I used it, must have more than 10 around the house in various places :) .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Return to “Size doesn't matter”