(F) Comfy Coaches for Tiny Passengers -- O9

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

(F) Comfy Coaches for Tiny Passengers -- O9

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:58 pm

Andrew Blackwell has sent me these photos of some of his O9 coaching stock, made from Dapol (ex Airfix) Railbus kits cut'n'shut about. Don't know where he gets these ideas from :wink: They are a scale 20 feet long by 5 foot 6 inch tall.

Just in case anyone is wondering, yes, that is one of my dioramas, Andrew managed to 'persuade' me to part with it!

Looks good with his loco on:

Still envious of that one Andrew 8)

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:29 pm

I wonder if anyone has thought to use O scale/gauge coach bodies as a basis for Gn15 :?:
It is possible to buy coach sides from Slaters. In the past I have used them for O16.5 very succesfully and have converted a Parkside van body to Gn15.
When I used to model O9 before the term was created, I used old Lima HO British wagon bodies, mounted on N gauge bogie chassis.
I think there is a very useful correlation between standard gauge models in a smaller scale being used as basis for miniature/minimum gauge in a larger scale.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

andrew blackwell
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Minimum gauge, Narrow gauge, Mountain biking

Postby andrew blackwell » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:54 am

Thanks for kind words. The carriages are built with a footwell that runs below the level of the chassis frame, but that didn't show up in the pictures as I'd already painted it black but not yet highlighted its edges. Similarly the white chassis rails look like square styrene bar in the pics, but are actually H-section girder, so will detail up nicely with a bit of drybrushing. No ideas what paintscheme to do.

Glad you like the green loco. I'm very proud of it, though I do have another steamer in the pipeline. It about half way there and is a Pacific in the style of a Bassett Lowke Gigantic, but a bit bigger.

I have also built a Bo-Bo diesel (actually its chassis was bought from guess who?)which suits the carriages very well. Its based on a stubby RHDR diesel.
Andrew
Last edited by andrew blackwell on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:37 am

andrew blackwell wrote:Hello all,
Thanks for kind words as usual. The carriages are built with a footwell that runs below the level of the chassis frame, but that didn't show up in the pictures as i'd already painted it black but not yet highlighted its edges. Similarly the white chassis rails look like square styrene bar in the pics, but are actually H-section girder, so will detail up nicely with a bit of drybrushing. No ideas what paintscheme to do, open to suggestions as usual.

Andrew

Look great Andrew as for paint here's a Bredgar one:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

andrew blackwell
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Minimum gauge, Narrow gauge, Mountain biking

Postby andrew blackwell » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:06 am

My green loco is featured in a thread elsewhere on here, but I cannot recall where. Basically it runs on an N gauge Farish 8F chassis but modified with a Minitrix trailing bogie. The body and tender are mainly styrene tube and sheet. Smokebox, chimney, dome and lots of other bits are cut down 009 items (HOe to you).

Thanks
Andrew

Return to “Size doesn't matter”