(F) The SMR tinkers again! -- O9

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

(F) The SMR tinkers again! -- O9

Postby Colin Peake » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:14 pm

There have been various cutting, bashing and cursing noises from the Shifting Sands workshop over the weekend. Last night after everyone had gone home I managed this image... what are they building?

Even more disturbing:

What are they playing at? All is revealed:

To explain, my very first O9 loco was this body conversion/bash of the Dapol Railbus and Drewery shunters into a double ended Bo-Bo loco on a Bachmann Plus chassis. Whilst this has served me well in the early days of O9 modelling it was sidelined recently as it didn't look right with the larger stock I had subsequently built and it drew more current than the Kato chassis used under many of my other chassis, which led to some dilemmas re: controller settings (long story!).

I recently acquired an Atlas N gauge GP9 which looked promising. By using this chassis I could raise the height of the loco and provide a chassis frame under the body, which would look more effective and realistic, along the lines of Fairbourne's 'Sylvia' and Ravenglass' 'Royal Anchor'. There is even space for a driver in each cab, unlike the old chassis. Comparing with drawings it is about right for height/width with 'Sylvia' and spot on for 'Royal Anchor'. There may be some tinkering with bufferbeam depth and what lies between the bogies but I feel it is an improvement.
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:59 am

The holes in the frame/chassis are there just to give the motor some air, the plasticard is softer than the original body so I'm just being cautious. It's unlikely to run hot shuffling on Shifting Sands, but 'just in case'.

The extra height does make a remarkable difference, the height is now just up to the new enclosed stock that debuted at Burton, it certainly looks more in proportion.

The new figures are of course from the versatile Preiser ground crew set, a vast improvement on the original driver, who was hacked from Slater's parts and had claw-like hands, he was nicknamed 'Dr Zhoidberg' after a character in 'Futurama'.... but I digress...
Colin Peake

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:37 pm

Just a quick update, I've cleaned a few bits up and added some bolt head details and some angle sections either side of the coupling pocket.

Head on view:

Side view:

Apart from securing the chassis frame into the body (using screws for easy access to the driver locations) and some tidying up of the bolt heads, it's ready for the paint shop!
Colin Peake

Return to “Size doesn't matter”